Yatagarasu

[2018] CS ACI Men - Short Program

12 minutes ago, dheu said:

Oh, I forgot to add:

Do you think that he has reached such a high level that he is held to a different standard than other skaters?  I mean, he's the two-time Olympic champion and he holds so many records (historical records now) that I wonder if the judges look at spins like he's done today and raise an eyebrow, and then judge him more severely.

I know it's all supposed to be objective, but I wonder if his success just puts him under increased scrutiny?

No, Olympic medalists usually gets a boost in scoring not the other way round - if they had shown a desire to continue a fair bit of time. 

What's really hurting Yuzu's marks right now is the fact that he has somehow telegraphed he could be retiring anytime. ISU is unwilling to invest in someone that may leave soon, such that they have more incentive to undermark Yuzu so younger skaters who are staying can look like they are close to or better than him. 

Also I was a bit worried when Yuzu kept saying he isn't fixated on marks or world records now. I know he may actually feel that way, but it probably shouldn't be said out loud, as his own federation and the judges response can come around as if you don't want it, then we won't give it to you.  

rant under spoiler

Spoiler

Oh my, he was lowballed in GOE too...:sigh: (and while one could have something to say about GOE on spins, the lv 3 BV makes difference of goe on spins much less important than the GOE on jumps...)

that +1 on that 3A is a punch in the gut. Who the heck were judge 1 and 2? :animated-smileys-angry-052:  US judge at leas thas a crystal clear reason for bias, but you, Irish judge? Those are some really criminal scores...

tho tbh it's not only two judges.

Even if they wanted to go really strict with the' serious mistakes thing', they could have still gone up to 9.5 and be perfectly within the rules, unless they consider 1 invalid spin + 2 lv 3 like 'multiple serious mistakes', (so no more than 9 on some components) which is laughable. the TR were there. Ok, he might have messed the one entering the spin, but that's 1 out of HOW MANY? ok, he might have been not solid on any spin this time around, give the goe for that, but in everything else hasn't he displayed more than 9.0 SS? (expecially when you compare?)

tbh what makes me angrier is that those scores try to rob me of my happiness for this particular skate.

It's like with Helsinki FS, I love it so much, it's so calming to watch, it makes me smile and it was a triumph for Yuzu, but there is also that little bit of lingering bitterness at how the scores could (should) have been... and I'm honestly tired of trying to justify this craziness, trying to cut the judges some slack because they are human and have little time and can make mistake, but heck this isn't fair, not when Yuzu actually performed a program that looks and feels like a complete program already early in the season, not just a bunch of element thrown around... while for others who skated to non-programs we say: "eh, it's beginning of the season, what do you expect?". It's ok, of course it is...BUT AT LEAST DON'T FREAKING GIVE SCORES THEY DON'T FREAKING DESERVE NOW, YOU JUDGES!

and yes, I'm referring to other comps too. If scores weren't really comparable, then why does ISU compiles the personal best lists and so on? Why keep track of the higest scores if scores can't even be compared?

26 minutes ago, Yolo3a said:

As much as it is hurtful, please everyone, when you @ people, be courteous and polite. Our fandom has a lot of rep, let's not add cyber bullying to it. 

yes to this.

let's try not to make bad things make us behave like bad people, and let's try not give satisfaction to those who're always ready to use anything against the fandom (and Yuzuru):tumblr_m7etfqA8wS1qb1380:

1 hour ago, OonsieHui said:

I want the bullet points for the GOEs. I want each judge to freaking sit there and tick off each GOE point and freaking justify their ridiculous scores!!!! 

This!:iagree:

1 hour ago, LeadenMyr said:

I can't voice my anger appropriately. Judge 1 can go shove somethings somewhere. Judge 2 can shove something smaller but still.

LOL this made me laugh tho:laughing:

also

59 minutes ago, Gingers said:

Yuzuru’s new program feels bland to me. I’ll see how it develope in more competition :68271401:

interesting new & different opinion, thank you for expressing it!

Would you mind to tell me a bit more about what feels bland to you? is the first half? the second? All? The music?

I love some parts of the first half but I'm not totally sold on some, like the long spread eagle he does between jumps without much happening in the upper body (tho I have to say it looked better with costume on, LOL I''m already being swayed by Zuzu). Instead I think the whole 2nd half is amazing (well, maybe with spin done better it will be more amazing LOL). I'm really curious:tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

If you have already done that, I'm sorry, I must have missed the post in the crazy amount that keeps popping as I write this:13877886:

29 minutes ago, Yoa said:

Tomorrow he will do runthrough with all 3 spins and will mark jumps instead :13877886:

but what if he messes the jumps then? :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

now I'm crossing my fingers Yuzu's kuyashii will be the kind of kuyashii that doesn't make him intense and overthinking LOL. We could still have a burnt pancake tomorrow:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg::laughing:

Don't worry Zu, just keep skating with that joy, the rest will come:tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: maybe not the scores but what can you do

back to brighter topics (because, after all, I just WON'T let scores ruin this day), I still haven't raved about Yuzu's costume which I LOVE and it's actually scary 'cause only a few costumes of his were insta-love for me and I'm not even more scared about the FS one LOL (or maybe I've just got used to Yuzu's taste):tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

It has the best vibes from TFTT, Rhapsody (thanks @sweetwater for reminding m of Yuzu's costume for his Jr FS), HYK and POTO (in the way it hugs his waist and show the beautiful lines of his shoulders)... actually I don't remember that much Shoma's Turandot 1.0, so I didn't get that reference...(and well, Shoma's new FS costume looks so much like a Yuzu tribute, so they're even now:laughing:).

Even his hairstyle reminded me of POTO.

Even his aura, tbh.

In his first season after OWG14 he had this different aura of maturity, and now after the 2xOGM it's stronger than ever (and with less pressure to prove who he is). When you watch him take the ice, you forget he's just a 23 years old guy (who's been described like small, compact and so on LOL), you feel the aura of something different. You feel nobility.

It's the way he just carries himself. Solemn yet sincere and utterly beautiful.

I wish I could tell him all of this and thank him from the bottom of my heart, from the depth of my whole being for everything he's gifted us, for everything he's gifted me, even in the short time I've known him.

And ahhhhhh I'm getting emotional typing this :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5: I guess it's the aftermath of all the half-concealed anxiety + how he was out there on the ice, something more than human, truly.

Thank you Yuzu

I feel so blessed for everything you're still sharing with us :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:

Did the Japanese judge confuse Junhwan for a Japanese skater or... I mean, Jun was awesome but still. 

Max going off about how Yuzu wasn't scored correctly by the judges TES and PCS wise (sorry it's in Italian)

I punti sono importanti (97.74 TES 52.34 PCS 45.40), ma non sono tutto anche perchè "gara che vai, giudici che trovi".
Otonal è un programma dal grande potenziale, che, se pattinato al meglio e giudicato come da dovere, potrà raggiungere anche i 115 punti (il massimo con gli elementi presentati è 115.40).
Il quadruplo salchow iniziale vale il prezzo del biglietto insieme alla sequenza di passi. Sul resto, i margini di miglioramento sono tangibili, nonostante un triplo axel da +4.
Prestazione più che positiva.

:sipping:

Just now, Tee said:

Max going off about how Yuzu wasn't scored correctly by the judges TES and PCS wise (sorry it's in Italian)

:sipping:

I'll translate it after reading, thanks for posting:tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

I am so angry. They take all the profit he singlehandedly brings them, and they accept him only so grudgingly. And now they want to take away what he earns every time he steps out there? He earned it! He earned every single of those PCS points. Now they want to bring him down because they've decided it's time for new shiny people?

Appropriately, this reminds me of Johnny...

I believe that Yuzuru was 100% prepared for the scoring so I'm not worried about him, but it still hurts because of course he deserves much, much better. Even if there is no ill will these judges are lazy and stupid, refusing to see the big picture of what it means when they do stuff like this.

His Otonal was so beautiful, literally breathtaking, and I know he will come back stronger. No pettiness or drama can keep him from pursuing his ideal skate, striving for perfection and bringing joy to all the lucky pure-hearted, clear-eyed people who are willing & able to appreciate him.

16 minutes ago, Anki said:

No, Olympic medalists usually gets a boost in scoring not the other way round - if they had shown a desire to continue a fair bit of time. 

What's really hurting Yuzu's marks right now is the fact that he has somehow telegraphed he could be retiring anytime. ISU is unwilling to invest in someone that may leave soon, such that they have more incentive to undermark Yuzu so younger skaters who are staying can look like they are close to or better than him. 

Also I was a bit worried when Yuzu kept saying he isn't fixated on marks or world records now. I know he may actually feel that way, but it probably shouldn't be said out loud, as his own federation and the judges response can come around as if you don't want it, then we won't give it to you.  

If that's their reasoning, then they're ridiculous and not even worth complaining about. I'm just gonna wish them the best of luck in finding their next Yuzuru Hanyu ... when pigs fly. Or goats. :P Meanwhile Yuzu will probably YOLO his way through his last season(s) or whatever and I hope that he'll continue to be just as chill about the scores. :winky:

I'm sure he'll improve his performance throughout the season, but that will happen anyway because he's a perfectionist.