Prize money in Figure Skating

I'm not sure if this is the best place to start this topic, but I was just looking through Announcements for ISU FS events and I saw only the Grand Prix Events mention prize money. Does that mean the other competitions don't have any prize money? I had already noticed nothing of the sort for the Olympics (aside from each federation/Olympic committee having its own prizes, I guess), but now I saw that neither 4CC, nor Worlds had it either, last year.

I know money is one of the big issues in figure skating, because everything is so expensive. But I was under the impression that even though the sums were small, there was prize money for all competitions. So now I'm really surprised... What do we know about money skaters earn through skating?

10 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to start this topic, but I was just looking through Announcements for ISU FS events and I saw only the Grand Prix Events mention prize money. Does that mean the other competitions don't have any prize money? I had already noticed nothing of the sort for the Olympics (aside from each federation/Olympic committee having its own prizes, I guess), but now I saw that neither 4CC, nor Worlds had it either, last year.

I know money is one of the big issues in figure skating, because everything is so expensive. But I was under the impression that even though the sums were small, there was prize money for all competitions. So now I'm really surprised... What do we know about money skaters earn through skating?

Not quite sure about each competition but maybe it depends on the event/organizers? Though it's known that the money won is definitely not enough and that why some have to set up gofundme's.

I remember Finlandia 2013 had a prize money of 3000 euros (donated by the Finnish Figure Skating Association) mainly because of Yuzu's reaction when he heard it :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:. The trophies were donated by the city of Espoo. So it might be that prizes (including cash prizes) might depend entirely on the organizer's budget (hence, French event planning).

15 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Not quite sure about each competition but maybe it depends on the event/organizers? Though it's known that the money won is definitely not enough and that why some have to set up gofundme's.

I remember Finlandia 2013 had a prize money of 3000 euros (donated by the Finnish Figure Skating Association) mainly because of Yuzu's reaction when he heard it :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:. The trophies were donated by the city of Espoo. So it might be that prizes (including cash prizes) might depend entirely on the organizer's budget (hence, French event planning).

LOL that's cute, I hadn't noticed that before.

It does seem normal to me that there would be a prize, even if the sum is really small (it's still better than nothing). And I guess for smaller competitions there might be donations like this, so it's hard to announce from the beginning if there's any prize money. (I'll check, out of curiosity, if there's anything about prize money for this competition.)

But I'm more intrigued about the big competitions. Worlds, 4CC, I admit I didn't check Europeans. If a GPF Gold is worth 25,000USD, a Worlds Gold, for example, should surely be more?

And for the Olympics, is it normal and no discipline gets prize money (aside from those coming from their own country)? I have no idea, actually... Never had an interest before ^_^;

ETA: Quicker than I thought. Yes, it was mentioned in the announcement

Pretty sure all ISU competitions, certainly Junior and Senior, have prize money, and it’s always listed in that document.

Even the small Challenge Cup in the Netherlands has prize money (heck, they even have prize money for the Skating Battle on Sunday, IIRC).

12 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

They often list prize money in announcements like this one for 4CC: https://isu.org/inside-single-pair-skating-ice-dance/figure-skating-other/news-fs/11900-uno-jpn-jin-chn-miyahara-jpn-headline-isu-four-continents-championships?templateParam=15

and this one for worlds: https://isu.org/inside-single-pair-skating-ice-dance/figure-skating-other/news-fs/12049-olympic-champions-and-medalists-to-battle-for-world-podium-in-milan?templateParam=15

12 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

And for the Olympics, is it normal and no discipline gets prize money (aside from those coming from their own country)? I have no idea, actually... Never had an interest before ^_^;

The amount of the Olympics gold should be googleable, since it was announced in the media that Yuzu donated his both times...

2 hours ago, TallyT said:

The amount of the Olympics gold should be googleable, since it was announced in the media that Yuzu donated his both times...

The IOC itself doesn't give out prize money but each country sort of has a reward if their athlete won a medal. CNBC has an article of the reward money from each country. If I remember correctly, Yuzu received 10 million yen from JOC - 5 million donated to Sendai and the other half to Miyagi Prefecture.

5 hours ago, kelly said:

Oh, thank you for this. For the GP events, it usually appeared in the Announcement pdf, but for these two, it doesn't appear there, so it had me confused. Didn't cross my mind to search elsewhere, since it seemed logical all the info would be in that one official-looking document... e.g., 4CC's one

2 hours ago, kaeryth said:

The IOC itself doesn't give out prize money but each country sort of has a reward if their athlete won a medal. CNBC has an article of the reward money from each country. If I remember correctly, Yuzu received 10 million yen from JOC - 5 million donated to Sendai and the other half to Miyagi Prefecture.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought it was 5 million from JOC and 5 million from JSF? But yes, overall, 10 million that he donated entirely.

15 hours ago, Winnie_20 said:

Pretty sure all ISU competitions, certainly Junior and Senior, have prize money, and it’s always listed in that document.

Even the small Challenge Cup in the Netherlands has prize money (heck, they even have prize money for the Skating Battle on Sunday, IIRC).

I expect them all to have prize money, as common courtesy, but it's not always listed in the Announcement pdf. There's no mention of prize money in the documents for ACI last year or this year, and like I said, not for 4CC or Worlds either, although as kelly pointed out, they are mentioned in articles on the isu website for the latter two. Maybe if I search for ACI, I'll find it for that, too...

8 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Oh, thank you for this. For the GP events, it usually appeared in the Announcement pdf, but for these two, it doesn't appear there, so it had me confused. Didn't cross my mind to search elsewhere, since it seemed logical all the info would be in that one official-looking document... e.g., 4CC's one

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought it was 5 million from JOC and 5 million from JSF? But yes, overall, 10 million that he donated entirely.

I expect them all to have prize money, as common courtesy, but it's not always listed in the Announcement pdf. There's no mention of prize money in the documents for ACI last year or this year, and like I said, not for 4CC or Worlds either, although as kelly pointed out, they are mentioned in articles on the isu website for the latter two. Maybe if I search for ACI, I'll find it for that, too...

Not sure about last season, but I found this (p.5)

https://isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/documents-communications/isu-communications/16903-isu-communication-2151/file

ETA: found it https://isu.org/communications/archives/565-2074-challenger-series-2017-18/file it's the same amount

On 8/29/2018 at 9:32 AM, kaeryth said:

That's so funny :)