Yatagarasu

[2018] JGP Bratislava (22.08 - 25.08)

hmm only had time to catch up with the JGP right now, and going through the earlier comments. I have read both here and on GS that  young skaters should be taught correct technique earlier because they are less likely to get injured. On the injury point, I actually think its the opposite -  injury is more likely doing a quality jump than a pre-rotated or cheated one. The skater jumping higher and rotating more in the air will suffer a bigger impact hitting the ice. They also have to train harder to obtain the correct technique, which also increases injury rate in training.  Yuzu is injured more frequently than other male skaters exactly because he is trying to learn the right way and not taking short cuts. 

Thus, there is little incentive for young skaters from powerful Feds these days to jump correctly. Why risk injury trying to learn proper techniques, when judges will reward you anyway?  I keep hearing arguments that this is the judges' fault, don't blame the skater but that only works the first time. If they do keep showing up with incorrect technique knowing they will get rewarded, then they are equally at fault. It's like a student who cheated in an exam but the teacher turned a blind eye  and continued that practice. I think most people would not say only the teacher is at fault here.  

And to be honest, the judges aren't doing them any favour in the long term, because they become reliant on judges' support. There might be short-term gains and titles,  but when a better 'cheater' or skater with proper skills from their own Fed shows up, the judges' alliance can immediately change. That is what happened to Medvedeva. By the time it was apparent, it was too late to change. 

Just now, Nutmeg said:

What happened to the youtube chat? The ice dance chat was the most civil, and now it's disabled? :<

Chat here! :D

Some very "interesting" colors as usual. And anopportunity to listen to some national music, I suspect.

Yeah, if I've got something to say, so far I got nothing :laughing:

But I kinda liked seeing other people's comments and Ted's interaction with the chat.

I follow the comments here too :)

Eh, classic costumes, Nadiia and Peter

Cinderella, ah, now I can see the Prince Charming and Cindy! 

Nice rotational lift

But the girl has to think about getting a non-white dress. For the sake of contrast! 

Just as I wrote that, there was a costume change - Cindy's back from the ball. Waiting for the crystal slipper now. 

That was an awkward lift! 

There's the slipper! 

Amanda and Stephano 

La La Land!!!!

I was bloody right. I am fed up with the music! 

Five points deduction for the track choice! 

I've learnt to fear yellow dresses on girls! 

weird lifts continue 

I love Ted's diplomatic abilities. Ted, La La Land overused by now!!!

OK, baby pink on Emiliia and Ulagislau wearing something Prince like. 

What are they skating to? 

and what do their costumes have to do with what they're skating to? 

The Greatest Show? 

I wish someone in singles would skate to Never Enough, or just a mix from the Greatest Showman. Would work so well.. It seems a little anticlimactic without the jumps

(that lift at the end where she's head down....wasn't that illegal in competition? : o)