Media Day 2018

4 minutes ago, Tsubakindy said:

I Love Nate's 2017 LP costume too, it looks good for him especially when he jumps. Then ORCA!Nemesis happened and it went downhill from there...I hope he will not wear that Spock shirt for his new LP In comps.

I'd take Dory or full gold bling Yuzu over a Vera Wang inspired costume! ( im looking at ur new sp costume Kolyada:hachimaki: )

Spoiler

Nathan's Polovtsian Dances costume was fine but...pit stains:13877886: the Le Corsaire was very good tho

I'd take a shirt+pants (hopefully without pit stains) over a Vera Wang outfit tho, so, Nathan, if you really want to stuck with boring sober and minimalist, please, DON'T GO TO VERA WANG!

And please try some different fabric, thanks.:tumblr_m230o5o5Gg1qfamg6:

I wonder how long it will be before I go from :crazyshit: to :4: to :acceptable: with Yuzuru's costumes.. or maybe I can be :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: from the start... but then where's the fun?

tho I'd like to start with at least a minimum level of acceptance like  :crazyshit2:  instead of  :headdesk2:

1 hour ago, 4Nessie said:

Hello, my fellow fanyu friends!

I am new here, following Yuzu only since Worlds 2017, but now I am completely hooked and I have to post my thoughts.

Because I am crazy curious and know Yuzu's music cuts are always beautiful, I just have to share my humble "research". Don't know if anyone did this already, but hey... repetition is key! :81:

So, this is, what I did - I took Yuzu's Origins, kindly provided here

and compared it with Plushenko's Nijinsky here

and the results - I know, it is not very accurate  - are like this (starting from Yuzu's 00:43) :

Yuzu 00:43 - 00:53  = Plu 2:41 - 2:51

00:53 - 01:19 is newly added 

01:19 - 02:09 = Plu 1:27 - 2:17

02:09 - 02:50 added again?

02:50 - 03:02 = Plu - maybe repeated 2:06 - 2:16

03:02 - 03:22 = Plu 4:18 - 4:38

03:22 - 03:38 I guess it's an extension to the following part

03:38 - 03:44 = Plu 04:38 - 04:44

Yeah, it's not much, but I was REALLY curious about the amount of cutting, Yuzuru did. And I think it turned out quite beautifully.   :hachimaki:

welcome welcome and what a nice nickname!:peek:

and thank you for the comparison... well, he did say he was using only some of the pieces used in Plushy's program, so some parts are different... (tho I'm preparing to people saying 'this was better than that' on the parts that aren't different):disdain:

confession: I'm not sold yet on the sideways lunge, on the part right before the SE-3A2T and on the ending :smiley-scared003: (tho we lack part of the ending choreo, so it might be that)

I mean, yeah, I love his lunge and I thought it was masterfully incorporated as brief transition in programs like Seimei and LGC, but here it looks a bit ? to me, at the moment :scared0012:

42 minutes ago, LadyLou said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Nathan's Polovtsian Dances costume was fine but...pit stains:13877886: the Le Corsaire was very good tho

I'd take a shirt+pants (hopefully without pit stains) over a Vera Wang outfit tho, so, Nathan, if you really want to stuck with boring sober and minimalist, please, DON'T GO TO VERA WANG!

I wonder how long it will be before I go from :crazyshit: to :4: to :acceptable: with Yuzuru's costumes.. or maybe I can be :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: from the start... but then where's the fun?

tho I'd like to start with at least a minimum level of acceptance like  :crazyshit2:  instead of  :headdesk2:

welcome welcome and what a nice nickname!:peek:

and thank you for the comparison... well, he did say he was using only some of the pieces used in Plushy's program, so some parts are different... (tho I'm preparing to people saying 'this was better than that' on the parts that aren't different):disdain:

confession: I'm not sold yet on the sideways lunge, on the part right before the SE-3A2T and on the ending :smiley-scared003: (tho we lack part of the ending choreo, so it might be that)

I mean, yeah, I love his lunge and I thought it was masterfully incorporated as brief transition in programs like Seimei and LGC, but here it looks a bit ? to me, at the moment :scared0012:

Thank you. :-) 

The comparison was meant solely for the music. I would never dare to compare their movements, because yuzuru is simply incomparable. We all know that, don't we... :devilYuzu:

I just admire Yuzu's dedication when creating his own programs and I am curious what exactly is he doing to his music, that it sounds so good. Especially when compared to some pieces that where "created/destroyed" for the new season...:crazyshit: :headdesk:

Also, totally agree with the sideway lunge. It seems a bit misplaced there, but Seimei changed a lot from the first practices too. I believe that he will pull it off.

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Me too, for the sideways lunge and the SE - 3A part. :59227c768286a__s:

If any, both are too short, making it seemed like rushed. (might caused by the 30 secs reduction though) 

At least with the sideways lunge, I can see that it makes his leap seems more impressive because of the height difference from low to high. But I don't get his arm movement during the SE yet. :14066882:

ACI please come soon, I need to see the first pancake in its entirety.  :13877886:

4 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

I prefer Nate's 2017 LP costume too.

Now, how do NA viewers seen elaborate costume? It seems like some athletes do not want to wear elaborate costumes coz they do not want to be associated as sissy or gay.

I am in the USA and I agree, or it's not even that explicit but the personal comfort level is very narrow. But then I can't think of many skaters I'd want to see in less conventionally "masculine" costumes. Bling isn't really feminine but I think some back away from that to emphasize "sport" over "art."

I think it was a happy accident that Johnny's style worked well for Yuzuru and that influence carried on. I can't imagine anyone else who could do it better and I love how he goes all-out in his costumes... It's just one more thing which shows his commitment and ability to see the bigger picture. The performance is what counts, not his personal feelings about seeming manly or whatever. 

But then unlike a lot of men, he can wear almost anything... Like the all gold Plushy costume is a joke and would never happen, but it still gives me some interesting ideas! 

Another thing I like about his costumes, because they are only true to his performance or artistic vision and not whatever is in the current mode, they can't really be dated (I think this is true for Johnny too)... Somehow it's more effective than the boring "trying to be classic/timeless" stuff.

51 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I just admire Yuzu's dedication when creating his own programs and I am curious what exactly is he doing to his music, that it sounds so good. Especially when compared to some pieces that where "created/destroyed" for the new season...:crazyshit: :headdesk:

He get the sound engineer to edit his music more than 30 times. Cannot deny that he is extra. :10814716:

From his Seimei making video we know he even noticed the acoustics of a stadium and I was like... How many skaters are actually aware about THAT? I always like his music cut though. All blended so naturally that I won't even know that those are combined from several songs if I don't know the original ones.  

Looking forward to hearing the music in its entirety next week.  Hoping that the timing will enable me to watch next Saturday - I have a commitment on Saturday afternoon but I think it will be later in Canada, so I should be ok.

15 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

He get the sound engineer to edit his music more than 30 times. Cannot deny that he is extra. :10814716:

From his Seimei making video we know he even noticed the acoustics of a stadium and I was like... How many skaters are actually aware about THAT? I always like his music cut though. All blended so naturally that I won't even know that those are combined from several songs if I don't know the original ones.  

Considering how much of a head-fi fan he is, it's probably a side-effect of his audiophile tendencies.

His studies are different, but I wonder if he could go into music editing as his post-competitive career, or if he'd get bored or frustrated doing it for others.

7 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

I prefer Nate's 2017 LP costume too.

Now, how do NA viewers seen elaborate costume? It seems like some athletes do not want to wear elaborate costumes coz they do not want to be associated as sissy or gay.

It all comes down to individual taste. Some people will see certain things as 'sissy', some won't. I say the skater should always wear what they look good in. For a lot of NA skaters, they don't look so great in delicate, elaborate costumes. (In fact, I think Johnny Weir way overdoes it. Most of his costumes are so...busy. Too much happening at once. It's like the costume is wearing him.)

2 hours ago, LadySnowblood said:

Another thing I like about his costumes, because they are only true to his performance or artistic vision and not whatever is in the current mode, they can't really be dated (I think this is true for Johnny too)... Somehow it's more effective than the boring "trying to be classic/timeless" stuff.

At least everyone knows which program they're looking at when they see a random clip, because the costumes are distinct for each one. 

7 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It all comes down to individual taste. Some people will see certain things as 'sissy', some won't. I say the skater should always wear what they look good in. For a lot of NA skaters, they don't look so great in delicate, elaborate costumes. 

There’s a great photo in Costumes we love to hate of Brian Joubert in a R&Jesque blue costume with lace and sparkles at the waist- but he doesn’t have the wasp waist to carry it off - too chunky.

Is it weird that I like the sideways lunge even though it's a tiny bit rushed? (his extremely short spiral and hydroblade are things I liked too!) I kinda like how fast-paced his whole programme is! No downtime just bam! into the next element! whoosh! next element! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

( But with how fast everything seems to be moving, I worry for his stamina :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow: )

• Hydroblade unfeatured and unpinned this topic