Remembering Denis Ten

Guest turquoiseblue

‘Targeted assassination’: Denis Ten murder case takes twist as defense asks for new investigation

Defense lawyers for Denis Ten’s family have asked Kazakh prosecutors to conduct an additional investigation into the murder of the figure skating star, insisting there was a third person in the case who was ordered to kill Ten.

Nurlan Ustemirov, a lawyer representing the victim’s interests in court, claims there are contradictory details in the case and insists that the murder was pre-arranged and committed by a professional assassin.

“We are asking the court to hold an additional investigation to determine all those who took part in the crime,” Ustemirov said. “The evidence presented in court is rather contradictory and strongly indicates that this was a targeted assassination.”

“How could Kiyasov [the alleged murderer] have hit Ten? He was behind him. There was a professional killer involved in the action. There is a video showing that somebody was running away from the scene, meaning there was a third participant,” he added.

Guest turquoiseblue

Olympic figure skater's murder trial opens in Kazakhstan

The trial of two men accused of murdering a male figure skater who won bronze at the Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 has begun in Kazakhstan, two local news agencies reported Thursday.

Both Arman Kudaibergenov and Nuraly Kiyasov pleaded not guilty to Denis Ten's murder at the first hearing in a court in Almaty, according to one private and one state-owned news agency.

Ten, a 25-year-old Kazakh ice-skating star, was fatally stabbed in July after apprehending men who had attempted to steal mirrors from his car in central Almaty.

The prosecution on Thursday told how one of the men held Ten, while another "stabbed Denis Ten twice in the femoral artery", according to private Kazakh news agency Tengri News.

While denying the murder charge, Kudaibergenov admitted to a charge of theft.

Kiyasov, who the prosecution says is the one who stabbed Ten, pleaded innocent to both the murder and theft charges.

Also in court was Zhanar Tolybayeva, a woman charged by the prosecution as an accomplice to the theft and failing to report a crime. She pleaded not guilty to the charges and asked to be acquitted.

"I did not know that my acquaintances had intentions of murder," Tolybayeva was quoted as saying in her court testimony by Kazinform, a state news agency.

Wait so these two admitted to stealing the car mirrors, but not getting into a fight with Denis? Or they admit to stealing AND getting into a fight but now they say that someone else came out of nowhere and stabbed him....? Yeah, not very believable. Besides, if it was a professional hit, there has to be a motive, are there any theories about it?

Whatever really happened, I hope they get to the truth of this, Denis deserves as much.

15 hours ago, Nutmeg said:

Wait so these two admitted to stealing the car mirrors, but not getting into a fight with Denis? Or they admit to stealing AND getting into a fight but now they say that someone else came out of nowhere and stabbed him....? Yeah, not very believable. Besides, if it was a professional hit, there has to be a motive, are there any theories about it?

Whatever really happened, I hope they get to the truth of this, Denis deserves as much.

They don't go into detailts but they say one of them admitted the theft while the other one didn't. So they don't say that they got into a fight with Denis.

Anyway, it's defense lawyer of Denis' family who asks for an additional investigation because they say that evidence is contradictory and that there was a third person involved, which is interesting...

Whatever happened, I hope the truth will be found out soon.

After reading all these details....definitely it was something planned. The last part of the statement makes me think there may have been a political motive behind it. I don't know much about politics in Kazakhstan, but I know political games in general are not above crime, especially in countries with a long history of corruption. And now I remember from back when it happened, reading twitter reactions, some people speculated it might be something like this. But still it's just speculation. I just hope the actual person(s) responsible won't get away with this.

This needs to have more press than it does.

Guest turquoiseblue

Suspected Murderer Of Kazakh Skater Apologizes In Court, Denies Stabbing Victim

Speaking at his trial on January 11, Qudaibergenov told the court: "First of all, I would like to ask Denis [Ten's] parents and all the people of Kazakhstan to forgive me. I sincerely regret what happened. We did not have any intention to kill somebody. I just wanted to find money and chose to steal."

Qudaibergenov told the court he started running away from Ten when he caught them trying to steal the car mirrors.

He said he took off his belt to use it against Ten when the famous figure skater chased them.

Qudaibergenov testified that he did not stab Ten and did not see the moment when the skater was stabbed.

He said Qiyasov later admitted to him that he had stabbed Ten.

Asked why he confessed to stabbing Ten after he was detained by police, Qudaibergenov said investigators beat him and forced him to confess "to what I have not committed."

Qiyasov refused to testify on January 11, saying that he did not feel well.

A third defendant in the case, Zhanar Tolybaeva, has been charged with theft and failure to report a crime.

She told the court she did not see the stabbing and that she was only aware of the attempted theft of Ten's car mirrors.

Update on the Denis Ten murder trial

According to Kudaibergenov, Nuraly Kiyasov had problems with money, and therefore he offered to remove the mirrors from the car to sell. The accomplices chose a car and removed one mirror, when Denis Ten approached them.

The athlete asked what they were doing. Then Kudaibergenov threw the mirror and tried to escape. But the skater caught up with him.

Kudaibergenov: “Denis caught up with me at the athletic field, and we started to fight. He was strong. I took off the belt and began to fight him. Denis hit me on the head. I lost for a while. Then I saw Nuraly standing next to him, he was also lost. And we ran.

“Later, I threw the belt and gloves, and Nuraly threw out the knife. I asked, 'Why are you throwing that out?' He said that he hit the guy with the knife twice.“

Kudaibergenov also stated that immediately after his arrest, he was beaten by the police and forced to admit he killed the sportsman himself. “Now I realized everything, I don’t want to take the blame for what I did not commit,” explained the accused.

Guest turquoiseblue

Inspector who saw the fight gives evidences in court on case of Denis Ten murder

The juvenile affairs inspector, who saw the fight between D.Ten and the defendants, has given evidences in the court.

“My colleague and  I were driving along the street on July 19. We were driving down Kurmangazy eastward, my partner was at the wheel. That day there was a football match at the Central Stadium, we were driving to the cordon. When we crossed Abylay Khan, not reaching Baiseitova str. we saw that Asian guys were running. There was a  Toyota Camry in front of us, one guy ran out in front of the car, fell on the hood, then ran, another Asian guy in a white T-shirt after him, he caught up with him on a side of the sports ground. I thought they were playing. Then we saw that a third guy ran up. I told my partner to stop and run towards them, my partner ran  to the park, ” said inspector Azamat Nurpeisov at the court on Thursday.

He also noted that when he ran up to D. Ten, he was losing consciousness.

“When I came up, the guy in a white T-shirt (D.Ten - KazTAG) was almost falling; when I arrived, he fell face down, blood started running from his leg. I saw that two guys ran down towards Shevchenko, I ran after them, passed the orientation on the radio that one had a black T-shirt, white gloves on his hands. When I reached Shevchenko, I did not see which way they had run away. At that time, passersby were walking, they said that the guys ran towards Nazarbayev, I ran there, I did not find them there. I came back, at that time I heard a patrol car from behind. As I did not find them on Nazarbayev, I thought maybe they ran towards Abylay Khan street. After that, we went together to Abylai Khan, and then returned to the scene, ” added A. Nurpeisov.

According to the witness, they were going to have lunch, after which they planned to go to the stadium by 16.00.

Meanwhile, to the question of the victim’s lawyer to the inspector, why he did not provide first aid to the victim, the policeman answered: “I saw both the evaders and the victim, I did not think that there was a serious injury. I did not have time to think and I ran after them (defendants - KazTAG) ”.

Guest turquoiseblue

Prosecutor Seeks 20-Year Prison Terms For Suspects In Kazakh Skater's Killing

The state prosecutor has asked a court in Kazakhstan to convict two men of premeditated murder in the killing of figure skater Denis Ten and sentence them to 20 years in prison.

At a hearing on January 16, the prosecutor also asked the court to convict the two men of theft and recommended a four-year sentence for a third defendant who is charged with theft and failure to report a crime.

Guest turquoiseblue

Two Convicted Of Killing Kazakh Olympic Skater

A Kazakh court has convicted two men of murder in the killing of figure skater Denis Ten and sentenced them to 18 years in prison.

The court in Almaty issued the rulings against Arman Qudaibergenov and Nuraly Qiyasov on January 17.

The third defendant in the case, Zhanar Tolybaeva, was found guilty of failing to report a crime and handed a four-year prison sentence.

The state prosecutor had asked the court to sentence Qudaibergenov and Qiyasov to 20 years in prison and recommended a four-year sentence for Tolybaeva.

Guest turquoiseblue

Denis Ten murder: Kudaibergenov and Kuyasov sentenced 18 years imprisonment each

A verdict on the case of murder of Denis Ten, famous figure skater of Kazakhstan, has been pronounced in the specialized interdistrict criminal court of Almaty.

"Adjudge Arman Kudaibergenov guilty of the crime under p.2 p.2 art.188 (theft), p.1 and p.4 art. 192 (robbery with beating), sub.p. 7 and 8 p.2 art 99 (murder) and sentence him 18 years imprisonment in a maximum security colony," declared Kenshilik Abdeldinov, judge.

The court adjudged Nuraly Kiyasov guilty under p.1 and 4 p.2 art, 192 (robbery with beating), sub p. 7 and 8 art.99 (murder) and sentenced him 18 years imprisonment.

Zh. Tolybayeva has been adjudged guilty under art.434 (failure to report a crime and sentenced her 4 years imprisonment.

Each convict will be surcharged 30 MCI, Zh. Tolybay 20 MCI into the Victim Harm Compensation Fund.

Suspect of Denis Ten murder: Heaven received worthy angel

The suspects of Denis Ten murder made the last word in the court.

"As I said before I apologize to all people in Kazakhstan. To you, Oksana Alekseyevna (mother of Denis Ten-KazTAG)," said Zhanar Tolybayeva, suspect in the trial on Wednesday.

After a short pause, the mother of the deceased, Oksana Ten, intervened, turning to the defendant's lawyer: “Can you stop prompting? Will she repeat word by word? "

“Sit quietly!” said the judge.

“It is impossible to return your son, it is hard. But take into account the tears of the child who is waiting for me at home and the child that I carry under my heart. I have nothing to say," she said.

After her, suspect Nuraly Kiyasov spoke with the last word.

“I apologize to Oksana Ten. I also have a mother and a grandmother. I understand how you feel. We have deprived you of your beloved son and caused his death, but we did not intend to kill him. We also have mothers and fathers, for them it's also hard to see us here. They also suffer because their children are in the trial. But you say - this is murder for money, but that is not true. My father and grandfather do not need my income, as they breed cattle. I ask you to make a fair decision.  I do not want my parents to be blackened. From the very beginning of the trial people have been saying about them that they did not educate us, that we went a wrong way. I want to correct my mistakes myself. Please forgive me, ” said N. Kiyasov.

Suspect Arman Kudaibergenov was the last to speak, asking the court to speak in Russian (the defendants chose Kazakh as a language of legal proceedings).

“I apologize again. I sincerely regret that it happened. Sorry, I didn’t want it to happen. I could never imagine that this situation could happen and I would get into it. I understand you have a pain in your heart and soul. He was the face of your family, the face of Kazakhstan. I regret that we have lost such a person. As far as I understand, you raised him from childhood, put your heart, so that he became a great man. I think that I must ask for forgiveness. And I'm asking you sincerely if it is possible. I think that the heavens could not receive a more worthy angel," he said.

Killers of star Kazakh skater get 18 years in prison

Kazakhstan sentenced two men accused of killing celebrated Olympic figure skater Denis Ten to 18 years in a penal colony Thursday but his family was unhappy, claiming his murder was ordered and there were "other figures involved."

The family of the slain skater is however unhappy with the investigation and claims the murder was pre-arranged, their lawyer Nurlan Ustemirov said.

Ten's family believes the skater was "lured" to a part of central Almaty and killed in broad daylight, Ustemirov told AFP.

"At least five people knew that he would be there.

"(Ten's mother) felt something was not right. There were contradictions. When I took the case I began to check the 35 volumes (of the case materials). I found a lot of things that proved that (the murder) was an order," Ustemirov said.

He declined to speculate over who might have planned the killing.

Ustemirov said he had appealed to the court to return the case to the prosecutor's office for further investigation.

"We believed that there were other figures involved in the murder. But we were refused," he said.