Remembering Denis Ten

Yuna's post.

Unbelievable and hard to process. Such a senseless murder and my heart breaks for his family especially. I hope he rests in peace and takes comfort in the fact the entire skating community grieving for him is a small reflection of how deeply he was appreciated. 

Guest turquoiseblue

Denis Ten's death leaves gaping hole in figure skating community

Gracious in victory and defeat, Denis always made time for a video, a chat or a picture backstage at events. His candour in interviews allowed me (and the fans) to get a glimpse of the man, his relationship to skating and his special collaboration with long-time friend and choreographer Lori Nichol.

"He was to have arrived in Toronto next week to choreograph a short program. I was so looking forward to Denis' genius on the ice and his infectious laughter, and our deep conversations," said a devastated Nichol.

"I can't believe that no one will ever have that brilliant light again. We must now do everything we can to celebrate everything he did for skating, his family, his country and anyone blessed enough to have known him. It's an unimaginable loss to his family, skating and the world. I don't even know how to express my heartache for his family and his mother Oksana and for Denis' coach Frank Carroll."

I was away for a few days on a trip and just back today to get a text from a friend to tell me what happened and I just couldn't believe it. I thought it was not real. I still cannot comprehend it. I suppose the utter, sheer, horrific senselessness of the entire situation in particular is what is making it so difficult to grasp. At 25, so many big and little hopes, dreams, plans and just gone. Over a car mirror. If only he hadn't gone out at that moment, if only he turned around, if only these were even remotely decent human beings. If, if, if, all pointless, and devastating. Tragic for his family and friends but more so, tragic for him. 

Vale Denis.