Banana Fish

yude

8 時間前, sweetwaterさんが言いました:

I know I'm going to be depressed at certain points, but I will probably continue watching the series until the end unless the coming season gets too dramatic and I forget to watch anime...

I actually forgot to watch episode 2 already (silly me!) but I was able to find it on YT somehow, thank you INTERNET :tumblr_inline_mto5hwcNlg1qid2nw: But really, when I was reading this manga more than 20 years ago, there wasn't SNS at all so it is really amazing that we can exchange information or opinions like this, moreover on the international forum. And if I talk about the broadcast in Japan, I kind of feel relieved this series has been aired midnight since the content is not for little children, which in a way, brings more adult viewers who prefer realistic and darker side of the world. 

Hace 5 horas, Sammie said:

I remember reading it when I was a teenager. It dealt with very heavy stuff. I don’t think I finished it. 

Yes it is and here we are as a good masochist watching the anime :13877886:

I started reading Banana Fish some time ago after a friend recommended to me, and so I was positively surprised to hear about the anime adaptation! Although the manga was published in a shoujo magazine, it's vastly different from "normal" shoujo, so it's an interesting read. The amount of dialogue and the very neat layout kind of remind me of American comics more than shoujo manga. It took some time to get used to, but Yoshida really makes this format work for her narrative skills.

The art style in the anime is definitely a lot "prettier" than in the manga, and the pacing is super fast! But narrative-wise, the biggest difference is probably the time skip. That's my least favourite aspect of the anime so far, I just don't see why they needed to "modernise" the setting. I think the story would have made more sense if it was set in 1980s because modern-day New York is very different. But this is a relatively minor complaint, the story is driven by its characters and not its setting anyway. Otherwise I'm really liking the anime adaptation, I don't watch that much anime these days and this is the only thing I'm following this summer. 

5 時間前, glilikoiさんが言いました:

The art style in the anime is definitely a lot "prettier" than in the manga, and the pacing is super fast! But narrative-wise, the biggest difference is probably the time skip. That's my least favourite aspect of the anime so far, I just don't see why they needed to "modernise" the setting. I think the story would have made more sense if it was set in 1980s because modern-day New York is very different. But this is a relatively minor complaint, the story is driven by its characters and not its setting anyway. Otherwise I'm really liking the anime adaptation, I don't watch that much anime these days and this is the only thing I'm following this summer. 

I'm still wondering which era this anime has been set in :laughing: Their clothes look a little old fashioned (at least to me) but they have smart phones. I wonder if we'll find out in coming episodes:popcorn:

It's still only 3 episodes but so many information already, here is something from manga a bit easier to get than from anime. (no spoiler!)

・Max is a journalist and a friend of Charlie and Jenkins.

・Ibe is a photographer and Eiji is an assistant. The publisher of a Japanese magazine introduced Max to Ibe and they have worked together before when the magazine had feature articles for NY police. This time, Ibe came to NY to take photos of street kids and wanted Max's help, but Max is in prison because he punched a cop, so Charlie and Jenkins are taking care of Ibe and Eiji.

・Charlie and Jenkins have been investigating the serial suicides by different types of individuals who were likely to be Golzine's enemies, and they are speculating Golzine is related to those suicides, so they want information from Ash. 

・When Eiji was asked by Ash if he knew Ash's past in the hospital, Eiji said "I don't know", but Eiji knew it since he had heard of it from Charlie.

By the way, a name of Arthur is written in manga "オーサー", so I was expecting it would be in "Orser" in English but it did not :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OR0MDhExmo (English sub)

When Ibe and Eiji were discussing going back to Japan, Eiji said in English sub, "I am grateful that you brought me here, I mean, I really needed that.". Its literal translation is "I am grateful that you brought me here, because I was feeling down (depressed) at that time.", so there is a hint Eiji also had personal issue when he was in Japan. We'll see if he is going to explain it later in anime series. 

I love ED of this show. In episode 4, the last scene of Max and Ash was kind of connected to ED, which I thought was supreme.