Banana Fish

yude

8 hours ago, sweetwater said:

So, the ending was inspired by Catcher in the rye, and Eiji was the catcher... :cry:
I'm not ready for the final episode nor for the nationals :13877886:

this is the first time i saw someone seeing it as Eiji as the catcher. mostly think Ash was the catcher, that he tried to keep Eiji's "innocence". I guess it can go both ways

ah, i wish the title card was still at the end.

17 hours ago, crazykuroneko said:

this is the first time i saw someone seeing it as Eiji as the catcher. mostly think Ash was the catcher, that he tried to keep Eiji's "innocence". I guess it can go both ways

ah, i wish the title card was still at the end.

Oh yes! It might be more natural to see Ash as a catcher as he was always trying to protect Eiji, but I somehow thought that way the moment I saw the title of the last episode. Probably because Eiji was a caring person? He was also trying to guard Ash both mentally and physically, always regardless of his own safety.
Catcher in the rye was my favorite book when I was reading Banana Fish but I had never connected the manga to the novel until I saw the trailer. Looking back at the whole story as the one about those who wanted to cherish the innocent was quite a blow when I was trying to be ready to say goodbye to a favorite anime series! :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

But it was really nice to be able to see Banana Fish.

Thank you, @yude, for creating this thread! 

23 時間前, Malekoさんが言いました:

I don't know why MAPPA is playing with our hearts...

Don't give me hope it hurts more :sadPooh:

Yes, this! Today an event called "premium party" will be held in Tokyo (voice actors of Ash and Eiji participate), I wonder if there will be an announcement for something for next year, like adaptation of "Garden of Light", or even another ending of Banana Fish? (well, this may be a high bar because they have to get permission from Yoshida). 

Thank you very much for joining in this thread everyone :10742289: I enjoyed posting and talking to you guys since as I said in the opening post, I didn't  have anywhere I could talk about this topic. BANANA FISH anime was over, but I think I am going to keep coming here as long as I feel like it. Please join in this thread from now on if you are interested, and I also welcome new fans (if there is any) :67638860:

Merry Christmas :tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow:

More suffering, final scene of the last episode.

My ridiculous figure skating brain tells me it would be amazing if Yuzuru skates to this beautiful sad pure music...maybe tempo is too slow but I think he can pull it off. Is this piece in the soundtrack? I am confident that I can cry only listening to this right now lol.

I bought this official guide book "Rebirth".

I haven't finished reading this yet, but it is truly for the fans. It has many interesting information I didn't know, including past Yoshida's interview with publishers. Did you know Blanca's character was supposed to be a woman named Tatiana? Yoshida started to drawing her figure but one of the editors suggested a man character would be better. Good job :laughing:

And Yoshida talked about the ending of the series, too. I guess now we are able to discuss the ending finally so I put this here. She said it was always difficult to decide if she made a main character live or not because most of them in her manga were criminals. They were criminals but hurt so much for the reasons and had to kill to survive, but she always wondered if it was right for them to live happily ever after all crimes they committed, she also said Ash and Eiji being in Japan didn't assure their happiness for sure. So in this manga, she decided to end Ash's life (and I've also read in another source that she had decided it from the beginning.)

I am aware there are a lot of different opinions about the ending and it is the greatest thing about this story IMO since we can look at it from many point of views :)  What do you think about it? I personally respect Yoshida's decision of leaving the reality in the story. Yes, it is manga, she could make it fantasy as she liked, but one thing I really like about BANANA FISH is the reality it has. And I confess, I might have not remembered this piece if it was happy ending because I was reading a lot of manga when I was young, and many of them were happy ending and I don't remember them now:drama: I cried and was shocked reading BANANA FISH for the first time, it was one of the most impactful moment for me as reading manga.

So if I describe my feeling about the ending in short, it may be "it was well fitting but frustrating." (I am borrowing this from one of the reactors on YT) I understand and accept it, and it is so beautiful and I don't think it is bad ending at all. But I can not help but dream about "what if Ash lives".

In "Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2019", BANANA FISH won the first place in top 100 of anime this year. It seems this award is famous, the viewers will vote next year again to choose "anime fan award", and the professionals in anime field will decide "best anime award" and "best individual award" (don't know what it means, do they give  a prize to a best character?), all out of 100 anime selected this time.

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/15795385/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
hace 51 minutos , yude said:

I don't know about Crunchyroll very much, but thank you for saying this anyway :laughing:

I think is for the mess that happen in the year of Yuri on Ice, Crunchyroll don't want the BL fans overwhelm the votes... But is really unfair because Banana Fish have the quality of one of the best animes of the past year.

On 2019/2/3 at 午後1時13分, Malekoさんが言いました:

I think is for the mess that happen in the year of Yuri on Ice, Crunchyroll don't want the BL fans overwhelm the votes... But is really unfair because Banana Fish have the quality of one of the best animes of the past year.

Thank you. I didn't know about that, so I've just looked it up and found out Yuri on Ice won many awards on Crunchyroll in 2016. Do you think this was one of the reasons for not airing BANANA FISH on Crunchyroll, too? I am not blaming YOI at all (I watched all episodes of it and it was a good sport anime for me), but I just feel it is kind a sad stereotype if it was the case. 

Well, I am happy if BF wins Tokyo Anime Award Festival at least :)