Rhythmic Gymnastics

Deliverpooh

I only just started getting interested in the sport and know little about it. The ribbon is my favourite so far.

From what I gather, the reigning queens are Russian twins Dina Averina and Arina Averina.

This is Dina with the ribbon:

Is there anyone else who watches this?

I watch it very rarely, I like it but unfortunately I don't have time to follow the sport that closely.

I went to the European Championships last year (which is, probably almost as strong as the World Championships) and I really enjoyed it. I liked Dina and Arina but overall I slightly preferred Soldatova over them.

I wrote about it in the Sports thread: :) 

On 5/21/2017 at 11:33 PM, sallycinnamon said:

RG Europeans was so beautiful! :smiley-happy105:

The Russian ladies won all the individual apparatus finals (hoop, ball, clubs and ribbon), all of them by identical twins Dina and Arina Averina. The surprise was that Aleksandra Soldatova couldn't win a gold medal, she ended up winning only 2 silvers (along with her Team gold medal). Her Swan ball routine could have deserved the gold medal, though, it was just gorgeous. :smiley-love017: 

ezgif.com-gif-maker5.gif

I have made lots of (not-so-good quality) pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4puglelMow0M253dmZCdm1CbE0

37 минут назад, Sammie сказал:

I watch it whenever I can. But this Chopin one I like a lot. Maybe cus of Yuzu. But everything on point. 

Yes, this! Thank you for bringing it. :bow:An outstanding performance, my favorite RG program ever. Then she changed her costume for the Olympics and the impression was not so bright for me. But here everything was absolutely perfect.

58 minutes ago, Mastyaeva said:

Yes, this! Thank you for bringing it. :bow:An outstanding performance, my favorite RG program ever. Then she changed her costume for the Olympics and the impression was not so bright for me. But here everything was absolutely perfect.

It’s mesmerizing? She so lovely. I have to look for her Olympic performance now  :laughing:

I became a fan a few years ago, and been trying to watch the major competitions since. I clung to the television last month during the European championships. IIRC the whole event was streamed live on eurovisionsports tv. :67638860:

Last yea, vcq17 introduced a bunch of us to the wonders of men's rhythmic gymnastics, however, and that is just my favorite. If I'm really bored, I'll go to youtube and watch some of that. The topic is here. 

On 7/12/2018 at 11:47 PM, Sammie said:

I watch it whenever I can. But this Chopin one I like a lot. Maybe cus of Yuzu. But everything on point. 

Thanks for introducing me to her!

As I said, I know little about the sport, but apparently she won Olympic gold twice:eeking:

On 7/13/2018 at 7:34 AM, Winnie_20 said:

I became a fan a few years ago, and been trying to watch the major competitions since. I clung to the television last month during the European championships. IIRC the whole event was streamed live on eurovisionsports tv. :67638860:

Last yea, vcq17 introduced a bunch of us to the wonders of men's rhythmic gymnastics, however, and that is just my favorite. If I'm really bored, I'll go to youtube and watch some of that. The topic is here. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I've read the topic and thought it was really cool.

Had no idea it was such a big thing in Japan.

I have a question: is there also such a thing as warhorses in this sport?

• 2 months later...

I've been spoiled by rhythmic gymnastics: now I can't watch most artistic gymnastics without feeling a little bored (although I do still like uneven bars).  The floor event in artistic gymnastics in particular bores me, even though the skills the gymnasts can do are impressive.  I think I just enjoy the artistry of rhythmic gymnastics.  It feels like a dance program that happens to include incredible gymnastics skills instead of just a showcase of those skills themselves, so it makes it more interesting to me to watch.  

I'm no expert, though.  I really enjoy watching it, and I'll gladly watch it if I happen upon it, but I don't really follow any of the competitors or competitions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/13/2018 at 11:28 PM, Deliverpooh said:

Thanks for introducing me to her!

As I said, I know little about the sport, but apparently she won Olympic gold twice:eeking:

Yep, she's basically considered as a Queen in RG.

She won 2 OGM, 17 world titles (3 for all-around competition, it's a little bit like the world title you get in fs competition), 12 european titles, broke WR I don't know how many times. She was the first to do win 2 OGM and she still is (and I think it will still be a record for a long time...). She dominated rhythmic gymnatics nearly during all her senior active period 2007-2012 (she started competed in senior in 2005).

On 7/15/2018 at 9:59 AM, Deliverpooh said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've read the topic and thought it was really cool.

Had no idea it was such a big thing in Japan.

I have a question: is there also such a thing as warhorses in this sport?

It's actually quite succesful in Japan (not as much as fs though !), especially since Japan team started getting medal in single and group events (Kaho Minagawa won bronze in hoop event in 2017, Japanese group won 3 silvers and 1 bronze in the 2 last world championships. And of course, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 is arriving soon !)

I love rhythmic gymnastics! I don’t watch them as often as I did in high school, so many of my favs (like Lubov Cherkashyna or Zhenhya Kanaeva :tumblr_inline_mto5i3wxFW1qid2nw:) have now retired. I prefer teams, tho, and my favourite elements are ribbon and hoops.

As a fun fact, I actually did rhythmic gymnastics for a year when I was a kid, but my ADHD got in the way :xD: