K-drama & co

Yatagarasu

Chanced upon this thread and wow, I did not expect many K-dramas fans from non-Asian countries. I haven't been watching much lately except Mr Sunshine which I'm following only because I'm worried Netflix will remove any clips from other site so I watch it promptly once it's available online (I'm not loving this drama though). Also I'm kinda distracted from starting any new Kdrama recently, thanks to the new F4 but that's a C-drama...

Anyway... 

On 8/16/2018 at 8:13 PM, robin said:

Fun question: What was the drama that was hardest to finish and why did you stick to the end??

For me who tends follows dramas based on actors, there are MANY dramas that I wish to drop but can't out of loyalty... 

I can't pick a specific drama now. I wanted to say Hwarang just because someone mentioned that and I did have a lot of complain on it. However Faith suddenly popped into my mind. Definitely Faith! I don't know why it is popular but it's a torture for me to follow through. I'm just watching because of my craze for Lee Min Ho back then... 

On Produce 48, I did not follow the first 2 seasons but am watching it because I'm interested to see how the Japanese fares and also, Lee Hong Ki and Lee Seung Gi. Do people even vote based on talent? I think majority has votes based on their prior fame. I still don't get the Sakura fame... 

Just put Hongki and Seunggi together in every episode please. 

21 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

I will, I will! I didn't find Cruel City yet but I found the other ones you guys have been talking about! :tumblr_inline_mqt4gmPEiv1qz4rgp:I'm starting tonight! haha

I think it's also known as Heartless City!

Here's a few links I found :

Spoiler

These are legal streaming sites but geoblocked for me:

https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4285/heartless-city/

https://www.viki.com/tv/28079c-heartless-city

This is best enjoyed with a very good adblocker:

https://kissasian.es/Drama/Cruel-City

7 minutes ago, robin said:

I think it's also known as Heartless City!

Here's a few links I found :

Hide contents

These are legal streaming sites but geoblocked for me:

https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4285/heartless-city/

https://www.viki.com/tv/28079c-heartless-city

This is best enjoyed with a very good adblocker:

https://kissasian.es/Drama/Cruel-City

Thanks for the links!!! :tumblr_inline_n0o1fhfhFY1qid2nw: I found it as Heartless City!!! Dramafever is geoblocked for my too but the other ones work just fine!!!  I just found it in here, too: 

https://ondramanice.tv/drama/heartless-city-detail

7 hours ago, yumeaki said:

On Produce 48, I did not follow the first 2 seasons but am watching it because I'm interested to see how the Japanese fares and also, Lee Hong Ki and Lee Seung Gi. Do people even vote based on talent? I think majority has votes based on their prior fame. I still don't get the Sakura fame... 

Just put Hongki and Seunggi together in every episode please. 

As much as I complain about it, the Produce series is actually really interesting precisely because only Korean viewers can vote. There are examples every season of how looks, effort and "humility" often trump talent. The political situation between Japan/Korea makes this season even more fascinating because though the show is about singing and dancing on the surface, the Japanese participants are under close watch from a political standpoint (eg all the drama surrounding Miru recently). The Japanese participants who've played to the Korean audience have done well, but at some point, barring any personality controversies, looks still trump talent. 

That said, I think they made a good call to bring in AKB this season because it'll make it way easier for the final group to find a place in the Japanese market, and AKB can access a much larger Korean (and international) audience as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh so I did rewatch Cruel City and just finished. Bless my bucket-with-holes-memory because I couldn't remember any plot twist and it was as if I was watching it all over again.

Spoiler ahead

Spoiler

Just.............. This uncertainty if Dr.'s son died or lived KILLS me. Why did they put in that last frame at the very end suggesting he might have lived. I think last time I watched I was certain he lived and that's what remained in my mind. Which is also why I always wished for a sequel. Watching it again... I am leaning towards dead. That last frame was probably just random. But then again, he's wearing a light colored suit which he never did during the series so that must have been shot just to put it at the very end. In any case I am very sad.

Also, I am realizing that my 5 years younger self was alot easier to please. Ji Hyungmin and Yoon Soomin were lowkey a pain in the ass at times. Wish the two had gotten over themselves a bit earlier, especially Soomin. Overall still a great drama, tho. Square face really didn't have to die ;____; I liked the guy.

anyway it's 4am and I really should be sleeping. I watchd the last 3 episodes in a flash not realizing that this is the time already.

В 20.08.2018 в 12:57, robin сказал:

What trash is he filiming again?

Super late to answer you, sorry.

I'm not really following him close enough to tell you what he is up right now, but in last two years his only project I really enjoyed was the most recent - Lawless Lawyer. It was far from perfect, but at least interesting to watch and I had a lot of fun.

The rest I'm putting under spoiler because it's my personal opinion and I really don't want to seem rude or harm somebody's feelings.

Спойлер

For me, his others resent projects were simply tragic: not mentioning two Lotte ads and 5 minutes in the last Resident Evil, the Korean remake of the Criminal Minds was a disaster. And I'll refrain from the comments about Skarlett Hearts, except the fact he really looked great there and lost almost half of his weight for that role, I stan. :jaw:

Talking about new dramas, I just decided to let go Mr.Sunshine for the time being ... it bores me to death. And I saw a couple of episodes of My ID is Gangnam  Beauty. The plot is kinda interesting but I really don't like the main actress ... it gets on my nerves big time .... so I let it go, too .... I find interesting Your Honor instead ... the main actors are good and I like the plot, too ... let's see how it goes on.

Ooh, I didn't know this thread existed! :10636614: Been watching k-dramas for almost two decades now (which is like, a hella good chunk of my life) and now it's just a part of my life lmao--if I can't find anything good to watch on the currently airing ones, I either watch old ones that I haven't watched before or rewatch one or two dramas.

Currently watching Familiar Wife, Thirty but Seventeen, and Come and Hug Me. And then I'm waiting for 100 Days My Prince to start airing. I need something Signal-like to fill my life with, but I haven't seen anything close.

On 8/29/2018 at 2:44 PM, kelly said:

Who else is ready for a heartbreak in the finale of PE48 this Friday :Poohgaveup:

I actually watched the finale like 2 days ago (managed to avoid spoilers!) and it was everything I expected it to be- super disappointing. Probably one of the most rigged lineups yet. I'm still over the moon for half of the girls though but man are they going to have a tough time experimenting with concepts. There's a small chance I'll be able to watch them perform live if they're still promoting when I'm in Korea so fingers crossed! 

On 9/3/2018 at 6:35 PM, ralucutzagy said:

Talking about new dramas, I just decided to let go Mr.Sunshine for the time being ... it bores me to death. And I saw a couple of episodes of My ID is Gangnam  Beauty. The plot is kinda interesting but I really don't like the main actress ... it gets on my nerves big time .... so I let it go, too .... I find interesting Your Honor instead ... the main actors are good and I like the plot, too ... let's see how it goes on.

I've actually been digging My ID is Gangnam Beauty. It has a Cheese in the Trap air to it which I really like. The male lead is... really not a great actor but other than that, the writing and plot are great. If the drama isn't your thing, I highly recommend checking out the webtoon on mangadex- it's a great read! 

On 9/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, kaaaaaaat said:

Currently watching Familiar Wife, Thirty but Seventeen, and Come and Hug Me. And then I'm waiting for 100 Days My Prince to start airing. I need something Signal-like to fill my life with, but I haven't seen anything close.

Ooh, how's Thirty but Seventeen? It's on my to-watch list! 

I haven't seen it yet, but Secret Forest was supposedly up to par with the awesomeness that was Signal- maybe give that a shot!