Junior Skaters of 2018/19 season

1 minute ago, hoodie axel said:

Patrick Chan has already declared Stephen as his successor.

For those wondering about Patrick's declaration I have to admit that this came to me as second-hand information.  I can't cite when and where he is said to have made the statement.  I will say, however, as I look at the field of up-and-coming skaters in Canada it is clearly evident that Stephen is the one who the skating establishment there feels holds the most promise.  Everyone is worrying about growth spurts and such although my information says he's already gone through one with nary a problem (at least none to be seen in his skating).  Young male skaters are not inevitably going to be sidetracked by their suddenly growing bodies.  I see no evidence of such happening to Yuzu as he moved from boyhood to manhood.  In any case the good folks at TCC were made super-aware of the problems of adolescent explosive-growth through their experiences with Nam and they took those experiences to heart and are making sure they are ready for anything Stephen's maturing body might throw at them. 

4 hours ago, micaelis said:

For those wondering about Patrick's declaration I have to admit that this came to me as second-hand information.  I can't cite when and where he is said to have made the statement.  I will say, however, as I look at the field of up-and-coming skaters in Canada it is clearly evident that Stephen is the one who the skating establishment there feels holds the most promise.  Everyone is worrying about growth spurts and such although my information says he's already gone through one with nary a problem (at least none to be seen in his skating).  Young male skaters are not inevitably going to be sidetracked by their suddenly growing bodies.  I see no evidence of such happening to Yuzu as he moved from boyhood to manhood.  In any case the good folks at TCC were made super-aware of the problems of adolescent explosive-growth through their experiences with Nam and they took those experiences to heart and are making sure they are ready for anything Stephen's maturing body might throw at them. 

yeah when worrying about growth issues I mainly think about Nam and in part (and for a mix of reasons) JunHwan too.

But it looks like Nam has adapted to his new self and is finding his way back :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid: And hopefully JunHwan will take a break from all the injuries, boot issues and too busy schedule and sort out his URs.

I think Stephen has grown a bit in the last year but it's likely he still has a lot of growing to do. I think most boys grow a lot in the "high school" years (at least that's my experience, in the span of a summer most of my classmates suddenly became giants:tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp:). I don't know if his parents are tall and bulky so it's also hard to make predictions... but I think Samsonov might grow a lot, atm he looks very much like a boy (well, he's even younger than Stephen, after all:67638860:). I guess if both skaters will turn senior as soon as they can, tho, it's possible they'll deal with growth issues in the first 1-2 senior seasons...but who knows, this is all speculation atm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...