Junior Skaters of 2018/19 season

Welcome to our thread for discussing Juniors and all the events of the 2018/19 season beginning with:

Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating 2018/19

The 22st season of a series of junior international competitions organized by the International Skating Union!

Date Event Location Other
Notes
August 22–25 2018 JGP Slovakia Bratislava, Slovakia + Pairs
Aug. 29 – Sept. 1 2018 JGP Austria Linz, Austria + Pairs
September 5–8 2018 JGP Lithuania Kaunas, Lithuania  
September 12–15 2018 JGP Canada Vancouver, Canada + Pairs
September 26–29 2018 JGP Czech Republic Ostrava, Czech Republic + Pairs
October 3–6 2018 JGP Slovenia Ljubljana, Slovenia  
October 10–13 2018 JGP Armenia Yerevan, Armenia  
December 6–9 2018–19 JGP Final Vancouver, Canada + Senior GPF
  • Links in the Event column lead to the appropriate start of the competitions in the Space Battles: Event Discussions subforum for easier access
  • Links in the Location column lead to the intro post in this thread

Skaters who reach the age of 13 by July 1, 2018 but have not turned 19 (singles and females of the other two disciplines) or 21 (male pair skaters and ice dancers) are eligible to compete in the JGP. The number of entries allotted to each Federation is determined by their skaters' placements at the 2018 World Junior Championships and the Federations themselves choose their representatives. 

Skaters/Couples entered for an event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating may not participate in the same discipline of an event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating (senior) in the same season.

Points are awarded based on placement in an event. First place brings 15 points, second 13, third 11 points, fourth 9, fifth 7, sixth 5, fifth 4, etc.

Top 6 ranking in all disciplines will qualify for the JGPF.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Junior Skaters have specific requirements in their Short Programs. The Junior Short Program shall consist of the following required elements, which form three groups:

Junior Men:

• Double or Triple Axel
  • Double or Triple Flip
  • Jump Combination: Double/Triple or Triple/Triple. May not repeat Axel jump or solo jump performed
  • Flying Camel Spin: Flying position may be different than landing position. Min. 8 revs
  • Sit Spin: With only 1 change of foot. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot
  • Spin Combination: With only 1 change of foot. Min. 2 different basic positions. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot. Min. 2 revs in position
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Fully utilizing the ice surface

Junior Ladies:

• Double Axel
  • Double or Triple Flip
  • Jump Combination: Double/Double, Double/Triple or Triple/Triple. May not repeat Double Axel or solo jump performed
  • Flying Camel Spin: Flying position may be different than landing position. Min. 8 revs.
  • Layback/ Sideways Leaning or Sit Spin without change of foot. No flying entry. Min. 8 revs.
  • Spin Combination: With only 1 change of foot. Min. 2 different basic positions. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot. Min. 2 revs in position
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Fully utilizing the ice surface

Junior Pairs:

• Any hand to hand lift take off (Group 4). Full extension of the lifting arm(s) is required Min 1 rev by man (no max)
  • Twist Lift: Double or Triple. Take off must be flip or Lutz
  • Throw Jump: Double or Triple Salchow
  • Solo Jump: Double Flip or Double Axel
  • Solo Spin Combination. Only one change of foot (made at the same time by both partners). Min. 5 revs. on each foot, and at least 2 different basic positions or their variations by each partner with at least 2 revs. each. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. May be commenced with a jump. The rotation must be continuous, and no stop is permitted
  • Death Spiral: Backward Outside. When death spiral position is attained, both partners must execute one revolution with man in full pivot position Lady’s head must reach the level of her skating knee
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Must fully utilize the ice surface

Ice Dance:

• Music: Tango or Tango plus one additional rhythm
  • One (1) Short Lift. Short Lifts are max 7 secs
  • One (1) Step Sequence in Hold or Not Touching or Combination of both (Style B) chosen from the following types of pattern: Midline, Diagonal, Circular 
  • One (1) Combination Set of Sequential Twizzles
  • Pattern Dance Requirement: Two (2) Sections of Argentine Tango, skated one after the other.

Just now, Sammie said:

Same here. I’m pretty excited. 

Is Alena still a junior? 

Alena Kostornaia?

Yes, she's only still 14, iirc to turn senior she had to be 15 by 1st July, she misses the requisite by less than two months :/

Imo she's one of those rare skaters for whom age limits don't apply, she's already so refined, I can't wait to see how much better she can get! Hopefully skating gods will spare her major injuries and growth issues :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

(one reason why I'm happy Rika is already going senior, despite not winning any medal in JGPF or JWC, is that she has a whole season to get a bit of space all for herself and built her reputation before the debut of Eteri's stronger jr girls. Knock on wood that she'll overcome her nerves issues and shine)

34 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Alena Kostornaia?

Yes, she's only still 14, iirc to turn senior she had to be 15 by 1st July, she misses the requisite by less than two months :/

Imo she's one of those rare skaters for whom age limits don't apply, she's already so refined, I can't wait to see how much better she can get! Hopefully skating gods will spare her major injuries and growth issues :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

(one reason why I'm happy Rika is already going senior, despite not winning any medal in JGPF or JWC, is that she has a whole season to get a bit of space all for herself and built her reputation before the debut of Eteri's stronger jr girls. Knock on wood that she'll overcome her nerves issues and shine)

Ah too bad. But at least we get to see Alena in the Junior Circuit. 

Im praying that Rika get a hold of her nerves. The antis are really out to get her. I want to her to prove them wrong :tumblr_inline_mzx90enaUF1r8msi5:

On 7/4/2018 at 10:31 PM, LadyLou said:

when are we going to know the assignments? I can't wait for another bloodbath among jr ladies :smiley-excited001:

The deadline for the entries is 20 July (Friday) so I think we'll know the assignments the week after that.

For JPG Austria the entries will be out a week later probably, in the beginning of August.

Depending on some things I'd like to go to JGP Slovakia, so I can't wait for the assignments :68468287: 

I can't wait to see the assignments too.

It's really going to be something, this Junior season. 

Tbh, more than anything, I want to see where Kosto is. I have this half-fear that Anna S will get more room due to the quad but guess we have to wait. I don't know if Daniil would have posted any 4T attempts by Kosto if she had succeeded so for the moment, I'm thinking she's only bringing the 3A. I mean one never knows but better safe than destroyed hopes. 

On 7/4/2018 at 11:33 PM, LadyLou said:

Alena Kostornaia?

Alena said something about wanting to compete with the seniors already. She did once at Russian Nationals, which is hardly the easiest competition, and got third place there. I think she would be well ready and a major threat next season. Both she and Alexandra have this fearless attitude that I find admirable.

I also agree with you about Rika Kihira. Let her grow a bit and win some medals before having to compete with the wonderkids again. Same goes for Sofia and Daria. They now both got a senior GP spot (Daria even two), which will be harder next season.

I'm also looking forward to see what Nana Araki can do.

• 2 weeks later...