robin

2018 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Helsinki - Tickets and Discussion

I got the e-mail, too. That... hurt. *pouts*. I've forwarded it to my friend who *did* go, though. (I was the one who ordered the tickets, so naturally I received the survey request.)

8 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I got this e-mail today from Lippu:

"The Finnish Figure Skating Federation and the event organizers are conducting a study for spectators attending the ISU Grand Prix Helsinki 2018. Answering the survey will take approximately 10 minutes of your time. You also have the opportunity to take part in a draw to win All Event tickets to the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships (12.-13.4.2019) or to the Finlandia Trophy Espoo event (October 2019)."

Here's the link if anyone wants to answer the survey:

https://response.questback.com/isa/qbv.dll/ShowQuest?QuestID=5277539&sid=2zs3BpZ5t7

The event was wonderful, but there were some problems, in my opinion.  The major one was that the best seats were not available when tickets went on sale.  I've been to many events where Yuzuru skated over the past few years & I never saw more than one or two buses from the Japanese tour company HIS.  In Helsinki, there were five or six buses.  Japanese fans who I've seen at many events, who usually go without a tour, told me that they were there with HIS because that was the only way that they could get good seats.  So, I conclude that HIS was allowed to buy up all the best seats before the general sale.  The Japanese fans had to pay much higher prices to go, since the tours jack up the price to about double (including the price of hotels, etc.), and those of us who aren't in Japan had no access to the best seats.  I think this is unfair & I would even say corrupt.  I noted this in the comments section of the survey.  (I believe that the same thing has gone on with Rostelecom tickets.)

Other problems were that lippu does not accept many North American credit cards, so I had to pay an extra $50 to wire the money for my tickets.

I also didn't like that there were very steep steps in the arena with no railing & that gala practice was not open.

If you have some complaints, please fill in the survey & let the organizers know.  The survey is anonymous.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:24 PM, sallycinnamon said:

I got this e-mail today from Lippu:

"The Finnish Figure Skating Federation and the event organizers are conducting a study for spectators attending the ISU Grand Prix Helsinki 2018. Answering the survey will take approximately 10 minutes of your time. You also have the opportunity to take part in a draw to win All Event tickets to the ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships (12.-13.4.2019) or to the Finlandia Trophy Espoo event (October 2019)."

Here's the link if anyone wants to answer the survey:

https://response.questback.com/isa/qbv.dll/ShowQuest?QuestID=5277539&sid=2zs3BpZ5t7

too much?

U7cKOr7.png

:smiley-devil:huehuehue

On 11/13/2018 at 2:50 AM, Upnights said:

I also didn't like that there were very steep steps in the arena with no railing & that gala practice was not open.

I agree with most of what you said, and I also note that many Japanese have problems paying for tickets with their credit cards too - and that's another thing that pushes them into using HIS tour packages.

About the steep steps and no railings though...  I can understand why these may be seen as negatives, but for me personally, they are positives: Much better view, few obstructive railings, and I can still see pretty well even when a horde of giants are sitting directly in front of me (something that seems to happen all too often to me ! >_< )

15 hours ago, YesWay said:

I agree with most of what you said, and I also note that many Japanese have problems paying for tickets with their credit cards too - and that's another thing that pushes them into using HIS tour packages.

About the steep steps and no railings though...  I can understand why these may be seen as negatives, but for me personally, they are positives: Much better view, few obstructive railings, and I can still see pretty well even when a horde of giants are sitting directly in front of me (something that seems to happen all too often to me ! >_< )

I like the unobstructed view with steepness.  If I were designing the stairs, I’d put an extra step between each, so the rows would be steep, but the stairs would be 1/2 as steep.  Anyhow, the organizers probably can’t do much about the arenas.  They can do something about how they sell the tickets.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to share that I was recently interviewed about my trip to Helsinki to see Yuzu skate. One of the things I talked about was how great communities like this one are and how the members encouraged and helped me to go. So thanks again to everyone here! Here's a link to the article if anyone would like to read it:  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/12/04/figure-skating/moved-hanyu-fans-story-love-legend/ 

1 hour ago, LittleLottie1881 said:

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to share that I was recently interviewed about my trip to Helsinki to see Yuzu skate. One of the things I talked about was how great communities like this one are and how the members encouraged and helped me to go. So thanks again to everyone here! Here's a link to the article if anyone would like to read it:  https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/12/04/figure-skating/moved-hanyu-fans-story-love-legend/ 

Thanks for sharing. What a great story! Like you, I started following Yuzu just before the Olympics this year, and since then I've been spellbound. I share your sense of aesthetics and appreciation for Yuzu as a person. Mr. Gallagher's reporting is refreshing, going way beyond the superficial Pooh focus seen among most western media.