robin

2018 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Helsinki - Tickets and Discussion

11 hours ago, Aliciaa said:

i've gone to finland by boat before and im going by boat for the competition. It takes alot more time than flying but its wayy cheaper (if your going from sweden atleast) plus it's really fun if you're going with friends

I most probably will be going from either sweden or estonia, is there any specific website for the schedule and the ticket? I try to save money :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I've been looking at possible flights online and I can grab a flight with miles and just pay for the tax--only the flight back home has a connection in Frankfurt for just 50 minutes. I've usually picked layovers that are at least an hour and a half long because \o/ Murphy's law, but I'm considering this for the savings. Anyone with experience in Frankfurt Airport with a reallyyyy short connection time?

32 minutes ago, kaaaaaaat said:

I've been looking at possible flights online and I can grab a flight with miles and just pay for the tax--only the flight back home has a connection in Frankfurt for just 50 minutes. I've usually picked layovers that are at least an hour and a half long because \o/ Murphy's law, but I'm considering this for the savings. Anyone with experience in Frankfurt Airport with a reallyyyy short connection time?

I've been to Frankfurt airport many times, but always with long connection times... the shortest was probably 3 hours >_< It does seem like it's an airport where you'd easily find staff to help get you to your gate on time, but of course, that depends on a lot of things... And it's a huge airport... I did have one experience, coming back from Japan, where I had chosen a flight with 5 hours layover, to be safe, but it turned out I landed at gate 28 and my next flight was gate 27, same terminal. So I was done with all the layover stuff in minutes and had to spend 5 hours trying to stay awake... But that was just pure luck and I'm not sure you can count on that. Hopefully someone can give better feedback...

37 minutes ago, kaaaaaaat said:

Well, I had an hour and then my flight to Frankfurt was delayed bc summer and thunder, so we landed 10 minutes before the connecting flight was supposed to depart, so we got off and RAN like 10 gates or so, and then the next flight was delayed as well so it was fine (the luggage didn’t make it tho). But that could have been any airport, it was summer and the whole aiport had delays? On the outbound flight we also had an hour and no problems whatsoever.

I’m usually fine with just an hour for changing flights and so far that was the only time I’ve had trouble. YMMV tho. :shrug:

Fact is, flight routes with connecting flights are only given as options when it’s normally perfectly doable to catch that particular connecting flight.

Delays are always possible, however. *shrug* :-(

2 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

Where do you have to go from Franfurt? 

I once had a 1 hour layover from Frankfurt to the US so I  had to go through customs etc. and I had no problem. Everyone else on the A380 seemed to have cleared customs hours ago, so I didn't have to wait at all *lol* I think Frankfurt is really good organised and you find out quickly where you have to go. 

9 hours ago, lyrv said:

I most probably will be going from either sweden or estonia, is there any specific website for the schedule and the ticket? I try to save money :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

There's Tallink Silja, Viking Line and Eckerö Line from Tallinn. You may google "ferries from Stockholm to Helsinki" as well.

10 hours ago, lyrv said:

the cheapest option is this https://www.vikingline.se/hitta-resa/kryssningar/ica-kort-erbjudande/kryssning-helsingfors/ if you go between sunday and wednesday it cost 0:- :68468287:it cant get any better than that :happy0158:but you need to be over 21 and be an ica club member (it's free). I cant find the offer on the english site but if you type in the link on google it'll translate the page. If you're not over 21 then you can go via route booking https://www.sales.vikingline.com/find-cruise-trip/ but i dont know if thats cheaper than flying 

5 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

I would personally not recommend it

It’s doable of course, but it’s not exactly on the safe side

46 minutes ago, Aliciaa said:

If you're not over 21 then you can go via route booking https://www.sales.vikingline.com/find-cruise-trip/ but i dont know if thats cheaper than flying 

The flight I booked from Stockholm was much cheaper than this option (about 100 euros cheaper). I am over 21 though so this would've been cheaper for me with the Ica discount, except the "between Sunday and Wednesday" part doesn't work for me. I guess it depends on your planning and so on. But I thought the flight prices were really good so it was a no-brainer for me.

My guess is the gala practise will be most likely held at the practise rink which is right next to the competition rink but it's still going to be quite the hassle for the men. Practise-competition-award ceremony-press-doping-gala practise-gala. Finns generally like competitions more than galas so I get that they try to make sure people come on sunday by making Yuzu skate then but still...

If you're coming from Sweden and want to save money, it would also be very doable to take a boat to Turku and then a bus/train to Helsinki. The sea distance is shorter and getting to Helsinki by bus/train only takes about 2 hours from Turku. It depends on the service, but the boat tickets are generally at least 50% cheaper compared to the Stockholm-Helsinki route, and you can get advance bus tickets for like 5€ from Onnibus. I've paid less than 20€ for a daytime connection from Stockholm to Turku, the overnight boats are more expensive. If you have time I can vouch for that option, it's pretty cheap and not uncomfortable. 

16 hours ago, Arwen said:

There's Tallink Silja, Viking Line and Eckerö Line from Tallinn. You may google "ferries from Stockholm to Helsinki" as well.

14 hours ago, Aliciaa said:

the cheapest option is this https://www.vikingline.se/hitta-resa/kryssningar/ica-kort-erbjudande/kryssning-helsingfors/ if you go between sunday and wednesday it cost 0:- :68468287:it cant get any better than that :happy0158:but you need to be over 21 and be an ica club member (it's free). I cant find the offer on the english site but if you type in the link on google it'll translate the page. If you're not over 21 then you can go via route booking https://www.sales.vikingline.com/find-cruise-trip/ but i dont know if thats cheaper than flying 

12 hours ago, sophie9fox said:

The flight I booked from Stockholm was much cheaper than this option (about 100 euros cheaper). I am over 21 though so this would've been cheaper for me with the Ica discount, except the "between Sunday and Wednesday" part doesn't work for me. I guess it depends on your planning and so on. But I thought the flight prices were really good so it was a no-brainer for me.

Wow this is such a nice info, I'll compare both and decide which one is most worth it. I'm over 21 but I can't make an ica club member sadly.  :tumblr_inline_mqt4gi2T9v1qz4rgp:

11 hours ago, glilikoi said:

If you're coming from Sweden and want to save money, it would also be very doable to take a boat to Turku and then a bus/train to Helsinki. The sea distance is shorter and getting to Helsinki by bus/train only takes about 2 hours from Turku. It depends on the service, but the boat tickets are generally at least 50% cheaper compared to the Stockholm-Helsinki route, and you can get advance bus tickets for like 5€ from Onnibus. I've paid less than 20€ for a daytime connection from Stockholm to Turku, the overnight boats are more expensive. If you have time I can vouch for that option, it's pretty cheap and not uncomfortable. 

I never heard about Turku :tumblr_inline_n0o1fjLfy91qid2nw: it sounds interesting. It looks like a beautiful city, I'll take a look at the ticket.

Thank you  everyone for the help

19 hours ago, Winnie_20 said:

Fact is, flight routes with connecting flights are only given as options when it’s normally perfectly doable to catch that particular connecting flight.

Delays are always possible, however. *shrug* :-(

Yeah, that's the thing. The minimum connection time, apparently, is 45 minutes so I'm cutting it a bit too close for comfort.

19 hours ago, Tindomerel said:

Where do you have to go from Franfurt? 

California. :)

16 hours ago, axelnojutsu said:

I would personally not recommend it

It’s doable of course, but it’s not exactly on the safe side

Yeahhhh I'm leaning towards not taking that flight and picking another one instead but the savingssss from this flightt lmao

Do you have any tips for what to see/do in Helsinki? I've never been there, so I'm thinking of skipping ice dance and doing some sightseeing instead.