FIFA World Cup 2018

Yatagarasu

Once more: Viva la France! :drink2: 20 years later they did it again, congrats! :clap:

I admit after penalty I wanted Croatia to make it 2-2, but I think later Lloris's mistake made up for it :facepalm:

Anyway it was a good final :dancingpooh:

It was a pleasure indeed watching the world cup with all of you. I don't even like soccer... I mean, I didn't until now?! But I sure enjoyed the heck out of this, :68468287: 

I think it's because Holland didn't participate. It's why I also love figure skating so much, and rhythmic gymnastics etc. I can root for anybody and everybody without feeling too stressed out or sad if they lose, because then I just jump to whoever is next on the list to support. I never have to feel depressed about my home country doing badly, because they're not there, anyway. Brilliant.

Congrats France, congrats Croatia with a well-deserved second place, congrats to my Belgian neighbors with your bronze medal, and see you all in two years for Euros!

Both the French and Croatian presidents stood in line to embrace all players from both teams. Putin got an umbrella shortly after it started to rain. The drip from that umbrella fell on Macron's shoulders. He was totally undeterred and continued embracing everyone. So did the Croatian president. They both got soaked before someone put an umbrella above their heads, which was quite a while later. The way Macron embraced players was special. It's not the typical ceremonial way. He held their heads and talked to them (including the Croatian players) one by one for what seemed like more than 10 seconds each. I saw all of this on the BBC.

:13877886:

Congratulations to France for winning the Cup! :winner2:

The final has been as crazy as the whole World Cup :D I think Croatians played with more creativity and they dominated the majority of the match tonight...but they just couldn't score more goals than the French team. It happens. They might be very disappointed now but I hope this success will make them stronger in the future. 1998 - bronze medalists, 2018 - silver medalists, can they win the Cup in 2038?  Thank you Croatia for winning the heart of millions of football fans and for being the symbols of perservarance and fighting spirit at this World Cup. True warriors.  :bow:

Congrats to Luka Modric for winning the Golden Ball Award. :winner: If he continues to play well in the upcoming season, then he'd really really deserve to win the Ballon D'Or! :snonegai:

Congratulations to Russia too, it was one of the best organized World Cups I have seen. There weren't any scandals or hooliganism, it seemed to me through the TV that everything went smoothly :clap: Well done!

I really enjoyed watching the World Cup with you guys whenever I had time. It was lots of fun.! Thank you :cheer:

3196d.jpg

This match was amazing, dramaturgy-wise. I was hooked from beginning to the end. Own goals, penalties, goalkeeper's mistake - sublime goals - unexpected luck on both sides - errors and redemption - it had all ! Even the weather added to the drama ! :)

It's funny how it felt that Croatia was dominating, regardless of the score... I couldn't breath until the very last seconds of the match, because Croatia never gave up and the french seemed to never be able to get the ball - yet when they finally could, they scored with lightning speed actions. That strategy - relying on defense and then counter-attack quickly - is so bad for my blood pressure, really. No other team managed to block the french team that effectively during the championship.

I also loved the general "fair-play" feeling there was. Players helping eachother getting up after fouls or impacts, no agressivity between the two teams.

So, congratulation, Croatia !

And Pogba, M'Bappé, Griezman - what an amazing trio.

What a crazy sunday. And it's not finished, it's a bit crazy in France right now tbh. If only figure skating could make people as happy and united as football does ! :)

Only in sports, especially football, does France show proudly how diverse the country is, and how positive it can be.... too bad ot's not more often, but it's heartwarming nevertheless.

c6K37p5Tkf9en3WFTdAV28fZXx9m4RBOBjKNad8Yc6K37p5Tkf9en3WFTdAV28fZXx9m4RBOBjKNad8Y

7 hours ago, Altie said:

3196d.jpg

This match was amazing, dramaturgy-wise. I was hooked from beginning to the end. Own goals, penalties, goalkeeper's mistake - sublime goals - unexpected luck on both sides - errors and redemption - it had all ! Even the weather added to the drama ! :)

It's funny how it felt that Croatia was dominating, regardless of the score... I couldn't breath until the very last seconds of the match, because Croatia never gave up and the french seemed to never be able to get the ball - yet when they finally could, they scored with lightning speed actions. That strategy - relying on defense and then counter-attack quickly - is so bad for my blood pressure, really. No other team managed to block the french team that effectively during the championship.

I also loved the general "fair-play" feeling there was. Players helping eachother getting up after fouls or impacts, no agressivity between the two teams.

So, congratulation, Croatia !

And Pogba, M'Bappé, Griezman - what an amazing trio.

What a crazy sunday. And it's not finished, it's a bit crazy in France right now tbh. If only figure skating could make people as happy and united as football does ! :)

Only in sports, especially football, does France show proudly how diverse the country is, and how positive it can be.... too bad ot's not more often, but it's heartwarming nevertheless.

c6K37p5Tkf9en3WFTdAV28fZXx9m4RBOBjKNad8Yc6K37p5Tkf9en3WFTdAV28fZXx9m4RBOBjKNad8Y

Well said. The final game did have all the dramatic elements you mentioned. Both sides were wonderful fighters. There were so many great plays that it was quite a memorable game.

I like the "democratic" side of soccer. It costs so little to play and even excel. That's why it's so popular. That's also why so many great players came from poor families or a very modest background. Figure skating, on the other hand, has a pretty high entry barrier. For this reason, it's most likely never going to be nearly as popular as soccer. It makes people like us happy all the same, though, doesn't it? Every moment I watch Yuzu skate is sheer joy. I can't say the same with soccer watching, no matter how great a game it might be.

It's true football is "democratic" in a way - but it's no wonder if the countries with the best players have ambitious sports politics - for instance in France there's a very effective network of football schools recruiting - and paying - young talents from an early age (13 years old I think). It helps a lot...

It's no wonder why there were in fact not 23, but 50 french players at the world cup ! 27 players, born and raised in France, played for other teams because they had two nationalities.

Speaking about figure skating, Philippe Candeloro and Brian Joubert came from a very humble background for instance. I think it's easier in France because rinks get subventions, even though of course not as much as football does.

It was really nice to see how people in both Paris and Zagreb and other cities in France and Croatia were celebrating like crazy, not just the French people but also the Croatian fans were very happy about the results which was nice to see. :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: I read that it took 6 hours for the Croatian players to get to the city centre from the airport because hundred thousands of fans were cheering for them along the streets and the bus was completely stuck! Zagreb is not a very big city (about 700k) so I was surprised it took them so long :laughing: