FIFA World Cup 2018

Yatagarasu

For today's matches in Group B, I am much more impressed by Spain-Iran.

As heartbreaking as it is for Iran, they went against a really solid (and lucky!) team. If they can maintain this level of defence against, basically, Ronaldo, they might beat Portugal. Cz, man, how is that a team??? Sorry, Portuguese people. Ronaldo is great, but if his teammates do not step up, it's going to be too much against a team with airtight defence like Iran. 

De Gea did okay today. But there wasn't too many offence attempted by Iran, he is lucky this time.

My guess is there wont be many people at work after 5pm :)

My colleagues, who are much more knowledgable about football than I am, keep telling me that if the quality of a team was the sum of its individual talents, then the french team would be one of the best, if not THE best. That the only thing lacking is the little "spark" that would make them play as a real team. There's of course national bias, but even my spanish colleagues agree, so I guess there's some truth in it ?

I guess we'll judge this afternoon :)

Okay, so, I've just received an official email from my company : they're retransmitting the france-peru match in the huge conference room this afternoon, and invite every person from my office to come and watch it.

We don't joke with football, in France. :rofl3:

6 hours ago, Altie said:

My guess is there wont be many people at work after 5pm :)

My colleagues, who are much more knowledgable about football than I am, keep telling me that if the quality of a team was the sum of its individual talents, then the french team would be one of the best, if not THE best. That the only thing lacking is the little "spark" that would make them play as a real team. There's of course national bias, but even my spanish colleagues agree, so I guess there's some truth in it ?

I guess we'll judge this afternoon :)

I LOVE the French national team, and I think they have a really good shot of winning it all!  It's a lot of the same players from the last World Cup, and they were knocked out in the quarter finals by Germany (who won) and they were runner-ups to Portugal in the Euro Cup.  Pretty respectable!  Even the American commentators are saying the French are the favorites to win (although I don't know I would go that far, because the competition is so steep).

I went to every home game at the Stade de France when I studied in Paris and loved seeing the games live.  They're so fun to watch!  I think they do have a lot of great teamwork, but they need to tighten the communication with passing and setting up plays.  The biggest thing about the Peru match is that they can't go into it overconfident.  They need to play like they want it.  

As far as I understand, there are a lot of very technical players, but they're all dispatched in many different clubs everywhere in Europe, and they really play together only when they're in the national team. Thus the lack of communication - for now.

1 minute ago, Altie said:

As far as I understand, there are a lot of very technical players, but they're all dispatched in many different clubs everywhere in Europe, and they really play together only when they're in the national team. Thus the lack of communication - for now.

True.  I think they can get back into the swing of things!  They're certainly looking good in practice!  :clapping-smiley: