FIFA World Cup 2018

Yatagarasu

3 minutes ago, Coquelicot said:

First thought: Can they do that?? 

Second thought: Hate to think about transportation for the teams.  O.o

the costs involved are going to be ghastly. Come on, is it really worth it? 

But... on the other hand, you can choose and pick which country you want to go to. Now you've all got to come to evil Russia if you want to see some football/soccer. 

World Cup in 2026 will be the first one with 48 participating team, which I think is really too much...I think that the quality of the matches and the overall tournament will be lower. 

Mexico would probably qualify easily, it would be more problematic for USA or Canada...we'll see how it goes then. But I think Canada-USA-Mexico is still a better choice than Qatar in 2022.

Back to Russia...the Spanish team is busy these days! Lopetegui, former head coach of the national team was sacked immediately after he had negotiated with Real Madrid behind the back of the Spanish federation. He signed a contract with Real Madrid and no one knew about the decision until minutes before it was made public. Fernando Hierro, former captain of the national team will take over as head coach of NT.

Spain's first match will be against Portugal on Friday so it'll be even more exciting how the new coach and the players will handle the situation then...

3 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

World Cup in 2026 will be the first one with 48 participating team, which I think is really too much...I think that the quality of the matches and the overall tournament will be lower. 

Mexico would probably qualify easily, it would be more problematic for USA or Canada...we'll see how it goes then. But I think Canada-USA-Mexico is still a better choice than Qatar in 2022.

Back to Russia...the Spanish team is busy these days! Lopetegui, former head coach of the national team was sacked immediately after he had negotiated with Real Madrid behind the back of the Spanish federation. He signed a contract with Real Madrid and no one knew about the decision until minutes before it was made public. Fernando Hierro, former captain of the national team will take over as head coach of NT.

Spain's first match will be against Portugal on Friday so it'll be even more exciting how the new coach and the players will handle the situation then...

Ohh, :( I hope the players can overcome this, ( so it really was behind the federation, that doesn't sound good for either party)

8 hours ago, Coquelicot said:

And for anyone who's still undecided and wants an easy way to choose a team to root for!  (Disclaimer: It recommended I root for Spain, but I'm much too invested in the French.  Close but no cigar!)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/world-cup-quiz/

I got Poland! I will cheer for them more :) 

3 hours ago, Victoria said:

Ohh, :( I hope the players can overcome this, ( so it really was behind the federation, that doesn't sound good for either party)

The timing is really the worst...especially because it all happens right before the match against Portugal which will probably decide which team wins group B. And if Spain will be 2nd in the group then in the round of 16 they'll play against the winner of group A - which will be maybe Uruguay. That wouldn't be easy either...

58 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I got Poland! I will cheer for them more :) 

Yay, thanks! Very much appreciated! :snpeace:

I got England in the quiz. No objections to this result, although there's a chance we come across them in 1/8 if we advance... in which case they would probably be the favourites for the win, so the cheering on my part ends there :P

This is the most exhausting sports year. Olympics and now the World Cup!

I'm rooting for Argentina. :D I've been waiting to see them win ever since I watched my dad's old VHS tapes of the 86 final. I was a Maradona fan toddler. 

Watching all those fabulously toned and fit and skilled people win things is really tiring! (I say with my butt firmly planted on the couch.)

13 hours ago, Rainna said:

Yay, thanks! Very much appreciated! :snpeace:

I got England in the quiz. No objections to this result, although there's a chance we come across them in 1/8 if we advance... in which case they would probably be the favourites for the win, so the cheering on my part ends there :P

I don't know much about the team (except Lewandowski of course), but hey, we're dwa bratanki so I'd cheer for your team anyway  :agree: The first match against Senegal could be deciding who'll advance to the round of 16...