FIFA World Cup 2018

Yatagarasu

8 minutes ago, Fay said:

They try and ban selling alcohol in shops near the venue on the days matches are held, but does it help anyone? Ok, we’ve got to survive the craze...

Probably not. If they want to, they'll find ways, as they always do. Fingers crossed it all goes as well as realistically possible!

So you keep me informed. I can’t bother watching the thing. Though I’m visiting my hometown soon enough, my brother’s home, and he’s a football fan. So I might wind up watching a few matches along with him. And sip some beer along. 

13 minutes ago, Fay said:

So you keep me informed. I can’t bother watching the thing. Though I’m visiting my hometown soon enough, my brother’s home, and he’s a football fan. So I might wind up watching a few matches along with him. And sip some beer along. 

Ahhh football is great for bonding ... or the opposite .... but at least we're not talking local teams, so this time, you can yell at the TV together. Have fun!

I already have a few watch parties set up together with friends though we'll go more for wine and food and ice cream :laughing:

1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ahhh football is great for bonding ... or the opposite .... but at least we're not talking local teams, so this time, you can yell at the TV together. Have fun!

I already have a few watch parties set up together with friends though we'll go more for wine and food and ice cream :laughing:

For once it feels great not having to chomp because you’re nervous, doesn’t it? 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

For once it feels great not having to chomp because you’re nervous, doesn’t it? 

Isn't that the truth! :laughing:

(plus honestly? I really need the summer to shed some of the pounds I've accumulated during the winter and that nervous nom nom-ing thanks to Zu!)

Have you guys done the fifa bracket challenge? Admitted I clicked slightly at random. The stake is SO low - Fifa's second to fifth prizes are ridiculous. for a billion-earning-company with huge corruption scandals all the time, at least they should up the prizes a bit more.

I think I had Brazil as the winner. I'll redo the bracket again once the group stage is over. Group stages can be SO random (that's why it's football!)

9 hours ago, wingman said:

Have you guys done the fifa bracket challenge? Admitted I clicked slightly at random. The stake is SO low - Fifa's second to fifth prizes are ridiculous. for a billion-earning-company with huge corruption scandals all the time, at least they should up the prizes a bit more.

I think I had Brazil as the winner. I'll redo the bracket again once the group stage is over. Group stages can be SO random (that's why it's football!)

I did it, just for fun. I had Brazil-Germany final and I picked Germany as the winner. I might redo it again after the group matches if it's possible to do.

Anyway, I can't wait for the World Cup too. Only 4 days to go yay!  :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: I don't have time to follow club football during the season but I follow international football more (qualifiers for Euros/World Cup, or the Copa America too), and World Cup is of course always the best competition. 

I usually cheer for most Central and South American teams, Brazil has always been my favourite (even though this team is nowhere near as good as it was 15 or 20 years ago...but I cheer for them anyway :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:). I've also liked Croatia, ever since they won the bronze medal in 1998. They have always had a very strong team with top players since then...hope they'll survive Group D, which won't be easy at all.

Oh yeah, I like Croatia too. They have some seriously good people: Modric, Rakitic, and that hot-headed forward who used to play at Atleti (I blank out on his name right now). They're a bit older though, so this is probably the last time to see this generation. 

I very much pick teams based on players Ilike, which admittedly is influenced by... looks. :embSwan: (amongst other factors of course). 

So this makes it tough to cheer for certain teams (*cough* like Germany *cough cough*). 

I also like quite a few players - eg: Raphael Varane of France (he is AMAZING), Di Maria, etc. 

21 hours ago, wingman said:

I very much pick teams based on players Ilike, which admittedly is influenced by... looks. :embSwan: (amongst other factors of course). 

Spoiler

Me too, I started watching soccer because I liked the Galacticos (mainly beckham and zidane) :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp:, so I was a Real Madrid fan just for them :10814716:

image17.jpg?w=596&h=600

Cute yuzu playing :tumblr_inline_mzx8xsVPrg1r8msi5:

Source

2 days 22 hours guys!!

On 6/10/2018 at 9:13 PM, wingman said:

Oh yeah, I like Croatia too. They have some seriously good people: Modric, Rakitic, and that hot-headed forward who used to play at Atleti (I blank out on his name right now). They're a bit older though, so this is probably the last time to see this generation. 

So this makes it tough to cheer for certain teams (*cough* like Germany *cough cough*). 

I also like quite a few players - eg: Raphael Varane of France (he is AMAZING), Di Maria, etc. 

Yes, some of their key players are around 30 or even older...for some of them, it may be the last World Cup but I hope the next generation will be as good as the previous ones.

Do you mean Mario Mandzukic? He used to play for Atletico Madrid. :) 

When I started to watch football I was a kid and didn't watch it because of the look of the players... I cheered for likeable teams which played nice football, or, in Croatia's case, I was happy for their sudden success in 1998, because it was a historical result for a new country like they were.

Some players are really good looking...:smiley-cool14: I'm going to miss Italy for example, and not just because they are a very good team...

21 hours ago, Victoria said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image17.jpg?w=596&h=600

Cute yuzu playing :tumblr_inline_mzx8xsVPrg1r8msi5:

Source

2 days 22 hours guys!!

:img_21:

Unfortunately USA didn't make it this year, but France is my favorite team anyways, so all is well.  Only one more day to go now!

Since we aren't in the World Cup this year, a lot of people I know aren't interested in watching, since soccer isn't as big here, and they feel like there's no point in watching if your team isn't in it.  Sigh.  That being said, I saw this hilarious commercial on TV the other day and thought it was a clever way of snagging extra viewers.

And for anyone who's still undecided and wants an easy way to choose a team to root for!  (Disclaimer: It recommended I root for Spain, but I'm much too invested in the French.  Close but no cigar!)

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/world-cup-quiz/