The Great Glittering Planet Hanyu Glossary (or welcome in fandom lingo)

50 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Pancake rating chart:

Reveal hidden contents

wSpr7b8.png

An explanation why we're cacti:

We are like plants, surviving on Yuzu/Yuzu news, so when there's no news we enter a period of "drought". Since there are times when this drought is unexpectedly long, we evolved to survive in low water/low moisture environments, turning into cacti!

Cacti moodboard:

Reveal hidden contents

2Hh8rpQ.png

added the charts + cacti backstory:biggrin:

@LadyLou: Just to reflect the number of abbreviations that led to your suggestion for this glossary and your current hard work (I know this is still a WiP):

UA

Nessie (I think I'm being blind, but I don't see it?)

Carrot cake

COR

Sparkle salad

Seaweed

Potato sack pants

Trashbag pants

Strawberry

Boobskirt

CiONTU

and of course Yuzudory

Re the above, I refer to the General chat thread, page 3572 and 3573 where some discussion were had about the number of abbreviations, and the need for this glossary (of which, if I recall correctly, you were involved in the discussion).

3 hours ago, Cerunias said:

@LadyLou: Just to reflect the number of abbreviations that led to your suggestion for this glossary and your current hard work (I know this is still a WiP):

UA

Nessie (I think I'm being blind, but I don't see it?)

Carrot cake

COR

Sparkle salad

Seaweed

Potato sack pants

Trashbag pants

Strawberry

Boobskirt

CiONTU

and of course Yuzudory

Re the above, I refer to the General chat thread, page 3572 and 3573 where some discussion were had about the number of abbreviations, and the need for this glossary (of which, if I recall correctly, you were involved in the discussion).

thank you, I'll add them to my to-do list! Some are already sitting in my word file but I'm both lazy and fussy and that's an awful combination to have things done quickly:13877886:

Currently compiling costumes

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

You've actually missed out on my Nessie.

*pouts*

Nessie is sitting in my word file too, it was one of the first:laughing:

Actually, given you're some kind of a fairy godmother for our Nessie, do you think it would be better in the general Yuzu lingo or in the Yuzu skating moves and Onomatopoeias and Programs and other stuff I've not decided yet more skating-related? Or better to put Nessie with carrot cake and competitions acronyms and some more general figure skating words?

Also, I found out there is a limit of 78 emoticons per post :13877886:  I had to cut some already, it's so hard :sadPooh: well, in the worst scenario I'll just have to further split the glossary :laughing:

3 hours ago, wingman said:

Sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find it in the dictionary.

What does "sQUAD" mean? (or "SQUAD")? Do we mean the usual suspects who have a lot of quads in their program, or is this supposed to be some acronym for something else?

seems to refer to Shoma Uno, Nathan Chen, Boyang Jin

@wingman I will add squad to glossary, basically what moonkat said, it's used for the young guns with lots of quads (and less whole package) and in particular those three who opened the BV race (Boyang started with 4Lz and 4quads, Shoma continued with 4F and Nathan with 5 and 6 quads) and have been podium contenders in the last 2-3 seasons and rose quickly through the ranks after their senior debut (Shoma and Boyang have the same age, Nathan is younger but all of them got a medal at a major competition like worlds or gpf their first senior season)

Spoiler

re: sQuad and quadsters, there was a crack fic on Ao3,  no shipping stuff at all, just pure entertainment with Boyang, Yuzu and the others speaking the language of quads:laughing: if anyone is interested can pm me for link

ps: Yuzu got a medal in a big international competition his first senior season, tho 4CC isn't as prestigious as GPF as often feds send (or used to send) their second tier (tho Patrick went to 4CC several times and Japan usually sends top skaters e g. Daisuke T. and later of course Yuzu and Shoma). But he was way younger  (he became senior with minimum age requirement iirc have turned 15 by July 1st of the year of debut).

The only reasons I can think about Yuzu not being counted in the sQuad despite his multiple quads are 1) he is the definition of whole package, so to call him a quadster is a bit reductive 2) anagraphical, or more accurately that he's been around and winning in senior ranks for so long that people forget how young he is and dump him with the Uncles like Javi and Patrick (Yuzu is the awkward middle child LOL):P You could say he's part of the "establishment" while sQuad are those who want to overtake it. Tho now they are shifting towards being the establishment themselves and new people will rise to challenge them:biggrin: 

Funny enough, Misha Kolyada isn't really part of the sQuad but he's often dumped in the "fresh and upcoming" group despite being only a couple months younger than Yuzuru :1:

On 5/31/2018 at 9:19 AM, LadyLou said:

Tano jump = when skaters jump with one hand above the head. It was popularized by Brian Boitano.

Fixed. Just wanted to pop in an editorial remark. :slinkaway:

Thank you for your fantastic work! :thanks:

The history lesson is fascinating as well. eg that we can blame @Hydroblade for the term potato sack pants apparently :P

12 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

Fixed. Just wanted to pop in an editorial remark. :slinkaway:

Thank you for your fantastic work! :thanks:

The history lesson is fascinating as well. eg that we can blame @Hydroblade for the term potato sack pants apparently :P

omg thank you for that editorial remark:1: it was meant as arm, but it came out as harm, maybe a freudian slip:smiley-laughing021: (Borser must have gotten inside my head:laughing:)

I'm sure there are more slips here and there, everytime I re-read I find something to fix then when I go to edit I've already forgotten what I had to fix:13877886:

so corrections are welcomed!

1 minute ago, LadyLou said:

I should also add YOLO, tho I feel the need to come up with a VERY GOOD definition:headdesk2:

YOLO : when Yuzuru Hanyu decides to change his jumps on the spot to make up for a mistake earlier on in the programme, to gain extra points and reduce the effect of marks lost from said mistake. Often executed with such finesse that the YOLO jump can go unnoticed to satellites that he has hypnotized. Yet another cause of Borsers receding hairline. Examples: http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/172648711844/more-yolo-jumps-yuzuru-hanyu-since-you-guys

6 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

YOLO : when Yuzuru Hanyu decides to change his jumps on the spot to make up for a mistake earlier on in the programme, to gain extra points and reduce the effect of marks lost from said mistake. Often executed with such finesse that the YOLO jump can go unnoticed to satellites that he has hypnotized. Yet another cause of Borsers receding hairline. Examples: http://the-real-xmonster.tumblr.com/post/172648711844/more-yolo-jumps-yuzuru-hanyu-since-you-guys

I'm gonna steal this one :muahaha::thanks: