Successful Athletes turned Successful Coach

All this talk about coaching changes made me wonder who are some successful athletes turned coaches. By successful athletes, I mean athletes who had some success in the international circuit i.e., won medals at major events like Olympics, Worlds, 4CC, European, GPF. When I say have some success of coaching athletes, I'm also talking about their pupils have some success in the international circuit as well.

Of course Brian immediately comes to mind. As well as his partner in coaching crime Tracy Wilson who's a Olympic Bronze medalist herself.

I'm keeping an eye out for Deniss Vasiljevs and how he develops to see if Stephane Lambiel can be included on this list.

Yao Bin can't be included because coming in dead last at the Olympics does not make you a successful athlete.

Speaking of Yao Bin, Zhao Hongbo has some success following on the work started by Yao Bin with the current Chinese Pairs including Sui/Cong, Yu/Zhang.

Aliona's former partner Robin Szolkowy has some success in coaching for Tarasova/Morozov, Danankova/Enbert, and Zabiaako/Enbert, but I'm not sure how much of that success can be credited to him since the primary coach is Nina Mozer and he seems to only work with them for a short period of time.

Plushy can't be included since none of his students are successful internationally or had reached their success prior to being coached by him.

I could have sworn Daisuke Takahashi is a coach now (along with everything else he's doing) but I couldn't find out any information on his students.

Anyone else you can think of?

Great thread! :agree:

Marie-France Dubreuil comes to my mind who is a World silver medalist and 4CC champion herself and she trained Tessa/Scott and currently trains Papadakis/Cizeron, amongst other successful ice dancers.

Ingo Steuer also won world medals and an Olympic bronze medal and he trained Aliona and Robin.

Does Peter Oppegard count? :) He is a World-, and Olympic medalist and trained Yuna, even though their partnership lasted only a season (and in that season Yuna went  only to one competition, where she won the silver medal).

I'm sure there are many more other successful athletes who also became succesful coaches, I wish I knew more about the history of figure skating a bit more.