2018/19 Coaching changes

13 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I have wished that many, many times. Sigh indeed. Unfortunately it's her health and she dropped even choreographing. I think Plushenko isn't truly into this idea of coaching, not yet as he seems to be flying all over the place, is booked to mid 2019 and you cannot coach with that kind of split attention. Of course, obligations, money to be earned but ... anyway, he'd be big enough to back her but don't think so.

I don't think any lesser known coach would work for someone like Zhenya as her situation is peculiar. It would probably have to be a big name. She is going to require a major coaching force behind her back to politic for her, what with everything now, never mind in the future, and no smaller name can do that. It's really Ravi/Marina/Brian and probably Raf/Tom Z on the USA side that are in play. The trouble with those is that Ravi has Osmond of all people, so SC would probably have a fit, and we've mentioned Raf. So that leaves us with Marina/Brian/Tom Z I suppose which is why I can easily see peeps zooming in on Brian then. There's Lambiel in Europe but even with Deniss, he has a lot of work ahead of him to get himself properly established as a full coaching name. 

I do wonder if there should be an update about coaching teams somewhere-people seem to know about TCC due to Yuzu and Yuna, TAT due to Mao and Yagudin, and Raf due to Nathan. But actual skating schools in each country is lesser known. I imagine most people don't know about Panova (hope I spelled it right), even though she's got a team of technically sound jumpers in juniors (Tarakanova for example). Less know about Zueva, fewer still about John Nicks (Sasha Cohen), and less on Robin Wagner (Sarah Hughes). Nevermind the various schools in Japan.

Speaking of North American coaches- people tend to forget about Oleg Epstein,  who trains also in Michigan with Zueva. Then there's also Priscilla Hill/Victor Petrenko/Galina Zmeivskaya (aka Johnny Weir's coaching team) .

Kaetlyn has wonderful distance and coverage and flow but she also has pre-rotation problems, so I don't know if Ravi would be the best coach to help rework Zhenya's toe jumps. 

It is too bad that Tat isn't up to coaching anymore. A good jump coach and Tat's influence and choreography, I'd love to see that. Without a big name, visible coach, would Zhenya's PCS take a hit? I'd hope she's too well established for that to be a problem anymore. 

But there doesn't seem to be any real source about Zhenya leaving Eteri yet. :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

Actually, very few ladies don’t have any issue with prerotation. I think no one’s tackling that before ISU makes it punishable... 

That's true, too. We just scrutinise much more closely now. 

The Kobe girls have nice jumps. Well, Kaori flutzes, but Mai has nice jumps. Caro used to have really nice jumps too. 

Why does nobody consider Mishin for Zhenya? Is it a politics thing? Personality thing? Liza does have gorgeous jumps.

1 minute ago, WinForPooh said:

That's true, too. We just scrutinise much more closely now. 

The Kobe girls have nice jumps. Well, Kaori flutzes, but Mai has nice jumps. Caro used to have really nice jumps too. 

Why does nobody consider Mishin for Zhenya? Is it a politics thing? Personality thing? Liza does have gorgeous jumps.

Liza was selected by Mishin for her jumps when she was a teenager. Sofia Samodurova is another Mishin girl, but she has poorer jumps, 

and when you come to it, Plush had a poor lutz off his blade and didn’t have a right edge on his flip. 

3 minutes ago, Fay said:

Liza was selected by Mishin for her jumps when she was a teenager. Sofia Samodurova is another Mishin girl, but she has poorer jumps, 

and when you come to it, Plush had a poor lutz off his blade and didn’t have a right edge on his flip. 

Plush is not a posterboy for being injury-free, either.

Well, I'm glad this isn't my conundrum! I would be at a loss. There's got to be a solution but I can't find it.

• Yatagarasu changed the title to 2018/19 Coaching changes
29 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Well, I'm glad this isn't my conundrum! I would be at a loss. There's got to be a solution but I can't find it.

One of the reasons on why I am not sold on the transfer is who does she go to? I mean the solution would probably end up being a compromise anyway, with benefits outweighing the cons.

Also I wouldn't be too sure about her PCS. What with the new rules reset that's probably coming up, I think she'll be fine next season as the Fed simply needs her for those three spots but after that who knows. They can easily go down too, would hardly be the first time. Mao had a 'fab' time with her own PCS after all.

Okay about coaching changes- one team that gets rarely mentioned is the Priscilla Hill/Victor Petrenko/Galina Zmievskaya trio in New Jersey. Granted, part and parcel is the dreaded Morozov. But reputation wise, they have that. Hill and Petrenko were Johnny Weir's ex coaches, and Morozov had plenty of single skaters. And this team has definitely been mentioned for Nathan for Yale.

So I'm kind of curious, other than the fear of Morozov, why no one is moving there. Is there something about Zmievskaya that is not working?

Next, Marina Zueva and Oleg Epstein in Michigan, with the side benefit of Scali as choreographer. Granted, that rink is more known for their ice dance. However, Zueva has worked with Patrick Chan, and Oleg Epstein has coached single skaters before (Gracie Gold).

Zoueva is a dance coach. Her stint with Patrick didn’t quite end well for him, notwithstanding his success in landing 4S. Nathan nearly lost his 3A while over ther in Detroit. 

As for the other coaches, I am ashamed to say I don’t know much about them. Apart from the dreaded Morozov, but even his students haven’t been particularly successful. 

Didn't Baiul accuse Zmievskaya of fraud?

Anyway, I don't think she's had any big names recently? Johnny was the last one if I remember well, and before that, think Lambiel was with her around 2008 before that injury? It's probably a question of going to those who have had some recent successes. 

But take Jason for example. Leaving Kori has been something his fans have talked about for a good while due to his jumps, and she was enough of a name that Laurine jumped over there and things went bust. So I would assume peeps are careful. 

One name we forgot is Frank but though I haven't heard anything officially, I do assume he's retiring, at least from full time coaching. 

1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Didn't Baiul accuse Zmievskaya of fraud?

Anyway, I don't think she's had any big names recently? Johnny was the last one if I remember well, and before that, think Lambiel was with her around 2008 before that injury? It's probably a question of going to those who have had some recent successes. 

But take Jason for example. Leaving Kori has been something his fans have talked about for a good while due to his jumps, and she was enough of a name that Laurine jumped over there and things went bust. So I would assume peeps are careful. 

One name we forgot is Frank but though I haven't heard anything officially, I do assume he's retiring, at least from full time coaching. 

I think he intended to retire after these Olympics 

5 minutes ago, Fay said:

I think he intended to retire after these Olympics 

Jason? Actually that was sort of vague. The season before so 2016/17 he was asked and said he wouldn't retire but then after that IIRC he wasn't that clear about it all. 

I do wonder what'll happen with him. He's working on his SP now so he is competing ... but who is the coach? Still not settled which is a bit odd. He did go to Frank for jumps but I guess it's out of the question now that he'd take him on full time. He's definitely shopping around only in the US.

2 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Jason? Actually that was sort of vague. The season before so 2016/17 he was asked and said he wouldn't retire but then after that IIRC he wasn't that clear about it all. 

I do wonder what'll happen with him. He's working on his SP now so he is competing ... but who is the coach? Still not settled which is a bit odd. He did go to Frank for jumps but I guess it's out of the question now that he'd take him on full time. He's definitely shopping around only in the US.

Frank. Not Jason. :) 

Just now, Yatagarasu said:

Oh! That yes, yes :laughing:

Someone overheard him during the US nationals that he was done and post Olympics makes sense. No more fedora by the side of the rink.

He was visibly displeased by what he got these last few years. So he deserves to rest from it all.