2018/19 Coaching changes

There we go, Eteri gets her 'revenge' by bringing forth the quad from an actual senior who did not noticeably improve on her jumps at TCC!

If it works out for Lil Bet, I'll be happy, tbh. She's old enough to know what she's getting into now, she's making the choice, so fingers crossed for her. At least she's definitely through puberty. Pray for her hip injury to heal well. 

7 часов назад, Xen сказал:

Why oh why do I feel like this could end up being about that 4S she practiced....:headdesk2: She wants to push it, Brian told her not to rush it, and she goes to Eteri who has known quad ladies in the junior ranks, and Turnsynbaeva's build isn't that different.

I dunno maybe the change was more due to more "trivial" money/visa issues :shrug: anyway I don't believe that LilBet will be Eteri's first priority.

I don't know much about LilBet and i don't really like Eteri.... that been said... i hope this is a thought out change, that she is happy/okay about it and i wish her the best next season...

Lord, this is my first experience of an off season and wow, is it excitingly chaotic!! :darklordyuzu:

On 6/4/2018 at 6:06 PM, KatjaThera said:

I think there are some exaggerations made around here on various topics.

Regarding Phil's article, as I've said and someone also pointed out, the way a question is asked can change the way the answer is given. If Brian was asked directly whether he asked for Yuzu's permission to get all the other skaters, obviously, he'd say: "No, not really." Because at the end of the day, Yuzu calling the shots at TCC is bad for Brian and TCC's image. The flippant way he put it might also be strategy, because it's good if people underestimate how much input Yuzu actually has. It might also be the truth. As we know, even when he mentioned Yuzu wanting to come to TCC to Javi, Javi didn't react much. It might have been the same here. At the end of the day, only Yuzu and Brian know. But it doesn't need inventing quotes to give true quotes a different feel than they were meant to have.

People also seem to exaggerate the Yuzu and Javi trained separately at the end part. They trained separately two days a week. The rest of the time, they were together. That's really not as huge a deal as it seems. Javi was there and saw Yuzu struggle while he was recovering his jumps.

TCC also prides itself on its sense of community. Which means the skaters and their immediately close staff are part of the community. They support and respect each other. If anyone were to leak private information on other skaters, it'd definitely be a big issue. They have strict rules there and I'm pretty sure they have ways to enforce them. They also say that before there are individual country teams, there is Team Cricket. That said, I'm sure the team knows very well how some things are best kept secret and I suspect will have ways to ensure that. Of course much of that could be just PR talk. I know there are also people out there saying bad stuff about Brian, Tracy and TCC (though admittedly I didn't find the actual stuff, just vague hints).

On the other hand, I'm not sure Yuzu will continue being as secretive - or if so, for little other reason than the fun of it - so I think it'll be fine either way.

As for the previous talk of Yuzu and Brian's relationship, I wonder and worry about it at times, too. It does seem, rather too often for comfort that Brian doesn't really know or understand Yuzu. However I agree with a previous post that said Yuzu's relationship with Brian is less fatherly and more professional. I'm not at all sure, but I think in Japanese society, parents are parents and coaches/teacher are in their own category. Still very important and influential in the way they bring up a child, but not necessarily as emotionally close. Or close just in the areas that are directly related. Brian may not know Yuzu as a person very well. May not know his favorite food, his favorite music, his favorite game or even what he studies too closely (although I hope Yuzu has shared some stuff with him, because it's really interesting how he seeks to apply it to his skating). But I think he knows Yuzu the skater very well. Including what makes him click and what not. So, as far as skating, I think they're close and more than that, anything like the closeness between Brian and Javi may have never even occurred to Yuzu. I don't think he was ever really close like that to Nanami-sensei either.

So I actually wouldn't be entirely surprised if the Boyang approach was actually meant to light a fire under Yuzu a bit. And the 'see his reaction' was more to see how motivated or not the move would make him. We'll see either way.

I also wouldn't take the 'star wars' comment too seriously. It obviously means that they'll probably alternate things to give them breaks from each other and anyway they'll first have to test various combinations to see what works best.

For example, Yuzu might feel fired up for quads when training with Boyang, or fired up for spins/steps when training with Jason. He might also feel more tense or relaxed depending who he's sharing the ice with and either of those can be good depending on the day, the schedule etc. Jason might like being on the ice when Yuzu and maybe younger guys do quads, to try to learn, or he might feel better when they're not around, not to feel the pressure. Different people, different personalities, can influence each other in different ways. So, they'll try stuff out. It's also natural they won't always all train together. At TCC, skaters get individual, customized training schedules. They train a different number of days per week (Yuzu, for example, according to Brian's book, does cycles of 1 day off, followed by 3 days of training. Javi had 5 days training, Saturday off (no idea about Sunday, actually.) So how they meet, when they meet, who they meet with will also depend on what kind of schedule they'll have and it's too early to know that.

That's exactly what I think.

3 hours ago, Fay said:

This article says that Tursynbaeva and Orser parted their ways amicably and he wished her good luck, saying she was in good hands. And Elizabet is looking forward to working with Eteri. 

http://tass.ru/sport/5274875

And with that, Orser demonstrates the appropriate way to farewell an athlete who is leaving for another coach...

On 6/8/2018 at 12:06 AM, Moria Polonius said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lilbet got injured because of the 4S? I seem to recall something about her mother posting that quads are not girls' jumps. 

Yes, and she was injured for quite a bit.  Of course, we don't know if Eteri will push her toward the quad again, best to wait and see.

I do think she's better at packaging a skater like Bet, so there is that. Best of luck in any case!

10 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, and she was injured for quite a bit.  Of course, we don't know if Eteri will push her toward the quad again, best to wait and see.

I do think she's better at packaging a skater like Bet, so there is that. Best of luck in any case!

Thanks. I wonder whether Brian was reluctant to let her practice the 4S before the injury or after - or maybe he wasn't reluctant at all. I do hope she'll fare well with Eteri  - I just wonder ehat kind of choreo she'll get because last season Evgenia's SP, Kostornaia's and Trusova's programs were rather interchangable. I hope Bet won't get this sort of program, they're kinda boring.

1 hour ago, Kadova said:

I read somewhere Yuzu trains 3 days per week and Javi 5 days per week?

Probably in their bio on ISU website?

A number of interviews have referenced the fact that Yuzuru trains less number of times (and less number of hours) than some of his fellow ice skaters, which is attributable to his asthma, but as Brian Orser says, they make that time count as quality time - quality not quantity.