2018/19 Coaching changes

17 minutes ago, Katt said:

I guess after what happened with HanYan and their pair skaters, I don't trust them to value their skater's opinion :slinkaway:

I can’t remember what happened to HanYan. Did they force him to retire early? Or wanted him to pairs or ice dance? 

Take this with a gigantic pinch of salt: i also heard rumors floating around that CSA decided this move alone.

Now, I don’t really follow Boyang’s news and I maybe very well wrong, but Boyang doesn’t strike me as a person who wants to move away, be it from his current coaching team or his hometown. From minor translated interviews that I watched on twitter throughout this season, he seemed to be ok with current condition (iirc there was a time he refused to train in the main chinese sport center because he didn’t want to live afar from hometown or sth). I’m not sure if he has changed. He could be reluctant at first when he was informed by CSA, but he may get to enjoy the training environment later.

the point is, the move has already been made, so whether he likes it or not, we could only pray that he would gradually adapt to TCC and enjoy it. However, lets not forget that this is a big move for him, culture shock, homesickness, language barrier do happen. I don’t wish this to happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he is unstable next season. Remember Brian said that skater would need 1-2 years to develop under TCC training method, so give Boyang the time he needs, do not expect mass improvement right at next season. 

6 minutes ago, Sammie said:

That was it? I wonder why the Chinese fans was going crazy on twitter that day. They were so mad at CSA. 

Oh, I think there were rumours he was forced to retire. Not sure what came of them.

4 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ok so Conrad is at TCC, as we mentioned him here and here's video of his newly acquired 4F already. So it really is going to be a crowd.

Hide contents

OT: I wonder why all 4Fs are so unimpressive. They're done with too much PR (even Nathan doesn't execute it with 0 PR as a Flip was meant to be done originally, I think), and it seems to sacrifice quality by a margin.

1 minute ago, hoodie axel said:

OT: I wonder why all 4Fs are so unimpressive. They're done with too much PR (even Nathan doesn't execute it with 0 PR as a Flip was meant to be done originally, I think), and it seems to sacrifice quality by a margin.

They all see it passes. And once they do, hello new skaters with those issues. Sigh. I mean ... why bother?

Its true that so far none of 4F has the same quality as other quads. Nathan is ok, but his edge goes flat sometimes. Shoma only has good inside edge. Vincent PR alot and has unclear/wrong edge. Conrad has toe hammer. The best 4F I have seen was Dai's during a warm up. 

22 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yeah, that was a highly unpleasant thing to read.

It's a direct quote, so please, let's not go down the road of Hersh, this, that. Direct quotes are not touched or you'll find yourself booted out. In fact I would not be surprised at all if Hersh took care to leave this statement in a direct quote, precisely because he understood the, at best, uncomfortable nature of the whole thing.

If he had asked Javier once up on a time (and boy were we informed of this point), out of simple respect, he should have asked Yuzuru about Boyang. It doesn't even matter if he has explicitly said he's not staying the full quad. Presenting him with a fait accompli then giving this weird statement how there was no reaction, I don't even know what to say. Of course there wasn't, he was presented with no option but to accept it. Doesn't matter that he would have said yes anyway, it's an issue of principles. 

I don't think I even have to explain why the follow up is highly, highly ironic. Sure he would Brian, after all he has such a fantastic track record of informing you of things. 

Leaves a bad taste in the mouth, to be blunt.

I don't think it's accurate to say "he ASKED Javier once upon a time..." as if that meant Javi had veto power over the move.  Hersh characterized it as "the coach asked Fernández to sign off on the idea" but that doesn't make it true.

Hasn't BOrser always been saying something more like, "he asked Javi if he minded/had a problem with Yuzu moving to TCC"? In which case, the remedy might have been that they train on separate schedules or separate rinks.

Granted, BOrser wasn't quite as established as he is now, and Javi was coming from a place where he needed extra support and care at TCC. So even if BOrser sought PERMISSION from Javi, it seems a little apples-to-oranges as a comparison to today's situation.

IF Hersh had specifically asked BOrser, "Did you ask Hanyu permission to bring Boyang on board", of course BOrser has to respond, "I didn't REALLY ask his permission..." and sounds a little more dismissive than maybe how he would have replied if the question was, "Did you discuss Boyang moving to TCC with Hanyu?" 

Also, I don't agree with some people who are saying that BOrser is disrespecting Yuzu by assuming he will NOT be continuing another 4 years (and therefore bringing in younger skaters to take his place). Doesn't that take pressure off Yuzu, if BOrser takes him at his word and does not PLAN on him being there in 2022?  

I'm just a little surprised that Hersh and his sh1t-stirring is getting such a rise out of people, tbh...

:3:

4 hours ago, Sammie said:

I can’t remember what happened to HanYan. Did they force him to retire early? Or wanted him to pairs or ice dance? 

here is the whole Han Yan issue from a pretty reliable source. They are fans who personally know him and are close to him. It's a tragedy and so cruel, I almost can't believe it ...

On the other hand, I think Boyang has more of a saying. He is popular with the fed and they want to keep him happy. So, I don't think he personally objects to going to TCC, especially since he always seems to enjoy his stay at Lori's in Canada. 

2 hours ago, BrightonDogwoods said:

I'm just a little surprised that Hersh and his sh1t-stirring is getting such a rise out of people, tbh...

And I'm slightly tired of people ragging on Hersh like he's evil incarnate who gets away with fabricating quotes once per day and ten times on Sunday. He would have been fired about a million times by now. He simply put, does not. 

This is a direct quote. It is not short, and is very, very clear what Brian meant by it. There is nothing to misunderstand there. If people don't like it, then they don't like it.

Oh and Javier being asked certainly was presented as it was asking for permission and the whole thing was played to create a whole look how great Javier is image.

Which you know, is kind of the opposite of what is happening here. If nothing else, it makes for very bad optics, not that it's the first time, and I am certain, it won't be the last time.

In the end, Yuzuru's skating enviorment is fine, his needs are met and that's what counts. At the same time, it's fine to go eh at some things. Or not go eh.