2018/19 Coaching changes

From what I read here and there, Boyang is aiming for the OG 2022, Yuzuru is unsure how long he will keep skating competitions so he's setting short-term goals. I was stunned by Evgenia move, I'm surprised by Jason move too. Brian Orser said they have worked out the schedules, so I believe this will work one way or another. I'm sure Yuzuru was already informed beforehand, as Brian did with Javi for Yuzu move.

Finally, it was acknowledged Yuzu and Javi were getting tense with each other with competitions approaching, so the coaches have first-hand experience about how to manage that. To put it simply, I am not really concerned because I believe they will handle everything.

When the Japanese Skating Federation approached Orser about having Hanyu work with him in 2012, the coach asked Fernández to sign off on the idea. Orser approached the Jin situation differently with Hanyu when they met in April at the Japanese superstar's apartment in Toronto.

"I didn't really ask [Hanyu] for permission," Orser said. "I just threw it out there to get his reaction, and I didn't really get one. I'm sure if there was an issue, I would have heard about it by now."

(Relevant bit)

Mmm interesting, I wonder what kind of reaction was he expecting?

It would be better if we dont analyze his words too much :laughing: I won't try to guess what no reaction from Yuzuru means because  I know they won't give us more info about it. I think it would be better if he ask Yuzuru like he did with Javi but I dont know the way they communicate so that's it.  Yuzuru will be fine. He has his own goal and nothing to prove, he still working with the same people like he did for the past 6 years. They won't even train together that much expect stroking class. All 3 new skaters will face some difficulties as they need time to adapt the new training system and competition approach. If anything, I'm a bit worried about Boyang. 

It seem like Tracy is the one who push Brian to accept Jason. I have a feeling Brian won't work too much with him.

Whatever, I hope they can mange and balance things, especially when it comes to competition.  All the best for all skaters 

On 5/29/2018 at 4:32 PM, Katt said:

Seem like David Wilson choreo is a must for all new Tcc skaters. I'm glad Yuzuru's over that 

This is just a feeling on my part but it's based on Yuzu saying that when he edits the music for his programs (how many skaters mix their own music, I wonder?) he is laying out his routine at the same time so that the music and the moves will match.  Is Yuzu evolving to the point where he is the primary choreographer and he brings help in only to add the finishing touches and provide feedback?

I always think "asking skaters for permission" to take another skater is ridiculous. I only can call it " letting know beforehand". It's even none of their business. Even if Yuzuru feels uncomfortable with it, what he could do about it ? Acting like a crybaby and go:"Never. I don't want him/ her to be here"or acting cold and letting his coach guess what it means ?? 

14 minutes ago, wpisces said:

I always think "asking skaters for permission" to take another skater is ridiculous. I only can call it " letting know beforehand". It's even none of their business. Even if Yuzuru feels uncomfortable with it, what he could do about it ? Acting like a crybaby and go:"Never. I don't want him/ her to be here"or acting cold and letting his coach guess what it means ?? 

I think if one skater doesn't feel comfortable about his training mate, it can destroy the whole team dynamic and that bad energy can affect to all skaters there. Tbh I dont think Brian would reject Yuzuru had Javi said no. They would try their best to seperate these 2 skaters and figure out how to make it work. Now they have 2 ice rink, each skaters has it own schedule and things to focus so they won't train together that much. I can see that one sentence might create alot drama, but I'm sure Brian wouldn't come to Yuzuru's apartment to ask one question then left when he saw no reaction :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Katt said:

I think if one skater doesn't feel comfortable about his training mate, it can destroy the whole team dynamic and that bad energy can affect to all skaters there. Tbh I dont think Brian would reject Yuzuru had Javi said no. They would try their best to seperate these 2 skaters and figure out how to make it work. Now they have 2 ice rink, each skaters has it own schedule and things to focus so they won't train together that much. I can see that one sentence might create alot drama, but I'm sure Brian wouldn't come to Yuzuru's apartment to ask one question then left when he saw no reaction :laughing:

Yeah, the wording of the article just makes it sound wrong, but I guess they have to write like that to get extra attention.

Guys....CSA approached Brian at Worlds, late March. Between Boyang showing up in Korea for an ice show and the announcement from CSA that they are considering sending Boyang to BOrser, that was almost a full month. During that time Yuzu was in Toronto. I don't think it was a "think over it for an hour and tell me, Yuzu" declaration. 

Also, regardless what BOrser said in that article, the Chinese interview with Zhao was "considering an arrangement"-I could be wrong, but given it's my native tongue, the interview always sounded like BOrser had the right to refuse as an undertone (the implication was if Boyang didn't go, something didn't work out Toronto side). And articles in China about the move didn't even change to "Boyang will go to Canada" until early to mid May.  I don't think it was an easy decision, or as "thoughtless" as the article makes it out to be. Besides, the videos of Boyang tripping over his 1Lz, indicates that he's the one in the secondary rink. 

I dont think its a big deal. Its Phil, he's the one who wrote that Brian asked Yuzuru about Evgenia coming to tcc and Yuzuru continue to compete in one sentence :laughing: Brian will come to Japan for Faoi in mid june, japanese media will chase him :laughing:

Oh, I'm so sorry to read Jason was in the slumps after 4CC, he's always so sunny and smiley one forgets he wants to give his best evertytime and is disappointed when he fails to do so...but I'm glad he seems to have got better and he sounds very driven! I didn't expect he would declare he wants a 4 years plan, whoa:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid: Tho who knows, maybe if he can get a consistent quad, with the new rules he could make it (tho from a purely cinic point of view USA have Nathan and Vincent, unless suddenly judges staring seriously punishing Vincent's UR habits, and then most of the more promising junior, already eligible for senio, are from US so it will be quite though...)

re: the part about Yuzuru

1 hour ago, Katt said:

It would be better if we dont analyze his words too much :laughing: I won't try to guess what no reaction from Yuzuru means because  I know they won't give us more info about it. I think it would be better if he ask Yuzuru like he did with Javi but I dont know the way they communicate so that's it.  Yuzuru will be fine. He has his own goal and nothing to prove, he still working with the same people like he did for the past 6 years. They won't even train together that much expect stroking class. All 3 new skaters will face some difficulties as they need time to adapt the new training system and competition approach. If anything, I'm a bit worried about Boyang. 

It seem like Tracy is the one who push Brian to accept Jason. I have a feeling Brian won't work too much with him.

Whatever, I hope they can mange and balance things, especially when it comes to competition.  All the best for all skaters 

you're probably right and I hope you are right and thank you for being the voice of reason, tho I'm still quite baffled by those words and I wish Brian had approached Boyang's move the same way he approached Zhenya's move (and Yuzu's in 2012). Boyang is a direct competitor after all, Med isn't, tho I guess Med's name was a bit more "probleamatic" in her own right, with her being a top skater and possibly also the shipping circus, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Yuzu's team to request that Zhenya cancelled all the photos as conditio sine qua non

Yuzu's non-reaction (in Brian's words, reported by Phil) can mean a whole lot of things, but of course when you drop a bomb like that on someone, it's...a lot to take. Or Yuzu doesn't care at all :laughing: or he already knew *her imagination already starting to cope writing ficional backstory of Boyangman chatting with Yuzu in PyeongChang and Yuzu inviting him to join the fun in Toronto*

tbh the sentence I'm more ????? about is that "I'm sure if there was an issue, I would have heard about it by now."

It sounds weird, given their past, but hey, if it means Brian is absolutely confident that Yuzuru tells him everything that goes through is mind and speaks out everytime he's troubled, that's good.They've got their share of misunderstandings and communication issues, but both parties have learned their lessons, I guess:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

btw reading the whole article is a lot more reassuring than reading only that quote. How they made it clear to Jason his move wasn't possible if he wasn't fine with being a team effort + the last couple of lines about how they're going to handle things are reassuring and make me think they have put all the necessary thought into this catch'em all  :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

22 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

Oh, I'm so sorry to read Jason was in the slumps after 4CC, he's always so sunny and smiley one forgets he wants to give his best evertytime and is disappointed when he fails to do so...but I'm glad he seems to have got better and he sounds very driven! I didn't expect he would declare he wants a 4 years plan, whoa:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid: Tho who knows, maybe if he can get a consistent quad, with the new rules he could make it (tho from a purely cinic point of view USA have Nathan and Vincent, unless suddenly judges staring seriously punishing Vincent's UR habits, and then most of the more promising junior, already eligible for senio, are from US so it will be quite though...)

you're probably right and I hope you are right and thank you for being the voice of reason, tho I'm still quite baffled by those words and I wish Brian had approached Boyang's move the same way he approached Zhenya's move (and Yuzu's in 2012). Boyang is a direct competitor after all, Med isn't, tho I guess Med's name was a bit more "probleamatic" in her own right, with her being a top skater and possibly also the shipping circus, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Yuzu's team to request that Zhenya cancelled all the photos as conditio sine qua non

Yuzu's non-reaction (in Brian's words, reported by Phil) can mean a whole lot of things, but of course when you drop a bomb like that on someone, it's...a lot to take. Or Yuzu doesn't care at all :laughing: or he already knew *her imagination already starting to cope writing ficional backstory of Boyangman chatting with Yuzu in PyeongChang and Yuzu inviting him to join the fun in Toronto*

tbh the sentence I'm more ????? about is that "I'm sure if there was an issue, I would have heard about it by now."

It sounds weird, given their past, but hey, if it means Brian is absolutely confident that Yuzuru tells him everything that goes through is mind and speaks out everytime he's troubled, that's good.They've got their share of misunderstandings and communication issues, but both parties have learned their lessons, I guess:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

btw reading the whole article is a lot more reassuring than reading only that quote. How they made it clear to Jason his move wasn't possible if he wasn't fine with being a team effort + the last couple of lines about how they're going to handle things are reassuring and make me think they have put all the necessary thought into this catch'em all  :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I think maybe Brian meant, that since Yuzu is a very well-mannered person, if he asked directly for permission to coach Boyang, Yuzu would have said yes, even if at heart he didn't like it. So the best way is to just throw the idea at him and look at his reaction. And apparently there was none and also I assume, Brian gave Yuzu at least a full month to consider and that's the reason why he announced coaching Boyang just now and not in April ..

at least that what I hope he meant. Otherwise it would be a little weird ..

25 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

you're probably right and I hope you are right and thank you for being the voice of reason, tho I'm still quite baffled by those words and I wish Brian had approached Boyang's move the same way he approached Zhenya's move (and Yuzu's in 2012). Boyang is a direct competitor after all, Med isn't, tho I guess Med's name was a bit more "probleamtic" in her own right, with her being a top skater and possibly also the shipping circus, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Yuzu's team to request that Zhenya cancelled all the photos as conditio sine qua non

Well, those 2 sentences indeed sound abit weird to me. Yes, I hope he would ask or said something that he did value Yuzuru's opinion like it was with Javi's. Or maybe Phil didnt give us full quote ? Because how did you know there's no issue when they're not even train together yet ? Again, I try not to read much into it,because speculation won't do any good. As a Yuzuru fan, I hope if he feel uncomfortable about anything, he would talk to his coaches right away. Not just about Boyang or any new skater, but his overall training. I understand the concern because Yuzuru did have the history of hiding his feeling and condition. But maybe things are different now. 

Japanese media will catch up this article soon and prepare 780032 question once Brian come to Japan. I think we will have Yuzuru's words about this, but way later. 

Arhhh there will be alot drama around TCC from now on and I'm not sure I'm ready for it :slinkaway: 

57 minutes ago, Katt said:

I think this makes sense.

I find it hard to believe that Yuzu would ever respond to Brian about a new skater (even one he directly competes with), "No, I don't want you to bring him here".

For one thing, I doubt that Yuzu really thinks its reasonable for him to have veto power over Brian's decisions like that.

For another, I can't see Yuzu having the mind set that he needs to prevent a competitor from training at TCC, as if he worries about Brian's loyalties or being spread too thin for proper support, or worry about a competitor getting an advantage from training 'with' him. I think by now we can say there is no reason to think that Brian would favor another skater  (and I don't think Brian 'favors' Yuzu either) or not find a way for Yuzu to have proper support (from other coaches on the team) as needed. 

Yuzu LOVES GREAT competitors, I believe that Boyang and Jason have a good chance to really step up their game with this move, which Yuzu will be happy about. And Yuzu will of course try to pick up strengths from those around him on anything he is trying to improve in himself- Boyang-4Lz!! Evgenia-consistency!! I think potentially any other high level competitor at TCC can become a catalyst for Yuzu to take things up a notch (I'm not sure where this 'notch' is going, as he is already GOD level extraordinary, as far as I'm concerned, but I'm happy to watch and see!)

I don't disagree it COULD turn into a big disaster, but I really think that's unlikely so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it 

:snpeace:

5 minutes ago, Katt said:

Well, those 2 sentences indeed sound abit weird to me. Yes, I hope he would ask or said something that he did value Yuzuru's opinion like it was with Javi's. Or maybe Phil didnt give us full quote ? Because how did you know there's no issue when they're not even train together yet ? Again, I try not to read much into it,because speculation won't do any good. As a Yuzuru fan, I hope if he feel uncomfortable about anything, he would talk to his coaches right away. Not just about Boyang or any new skater, but his overall training. 

Japanese media will catch up this article soon and prepare 780032 question once Brian come to Japan. I think we will have Yuzuru's words about this, but way later. 

Arhhh there will be alot drama around TCC from now on and I'm not sure I'm ready for it :slinkaway: 

Well, once Japanese media sniffs out it and senses it could make drama, Yuzuru will have to deal with their tons of questions long before Brian :animated-smileys-hands-fingers-01:  But I'm not sure if he would agree to give opinion about it so ...