2018/19 Coaching changes

29 minutes ago, Fay said:

Eteri took Brian’s words as a challenge and she promises to work harder to “show them”. Sigh. Hope her kids will be ok. 

...I don't get how she plans to achieve this? Brian only senior ladies, as much as I'm aware of, and most of Eteri's students are in junior ranks. And for senior ladies, Brian only has Med and Tursynbaeva. Gaby is technically with Barkell. 

Why is Eteri taking it so personally? It doesn't make any sense, especially since her skaters are kind of top notch anyways. Couldn't she be proud of the skaters she already has? 

37 минут назад, Fay сказал:

The video has been subtitled and put out here - watch it and enjoy you popcorn 

Good part: official confirmation that Zhenya is doing well and is back to jumping and TAT said some kind words about Orser: "He is an amazing man! He is the best coach now! Fantastic skaters who are ahead of the time for many years are trained by him now. And if Zhenya is healthy she also will... She will be happy there!"

2 hours ago, Fay said:

The video has been subtitled and put out here - watch it and enjoy you popcorn 

Eteri seems to be really upset. It looks like she declares war to Orser...I need to buy more popcorn.

Also, they did no mention Shoma Uno on the video...

7 hours ago, Xen said:

...I don't get how she plans to achieve this? Brian only senior ladies, as much as I'm aware of, and most of Eteri's students are in junior ranks. And for senior ladies, Brian only has Med and Tursynbaeva. Gaby is technically with Barkell. 

Why is Eteri taking it so personally? It doesn't make any sense, especially since her skaters are kind of top notch anyways. Couldn't she be proud of the skaters she already has? 

I think part of it is that unlike the students that left her previously, Evgenia is leaving on her own terms and it is seen as Evgenia making the choice to leave her for Brian vs. what happened with Yulia where it kind of seemed like Yulia was being discarded even though she left. Evgenia is going away to a lesser club/coach, she's leaving to go train at one of the most prestigious training facilities in the world that produced the likes of Yuna, Yuzuru, and Javier headed up by former Olympic medalists Brian and Tracy. I think that's the part that eats at her... Evgenia had the foresight to know what would eventually happen if she stayed with Eteri - the fact that none of the her former female students made it out past 18 is pretty telling! Evgenia loves skating and loves to compete and she wants to stick around so she took the initiative to do something about it. In a way, Eteri should be proud that she "raised" such a fierce and independent champion! Also, Evgenia's mom is also not someone to be trifled with either. She was a former figure skater that had to stop when she got injured at 14 or 15 so she knows what's what... and I thought I read somewhere that her mom works in PR so this is a team that Eteri can't bully 

3 hours ago, LucyH said:

I think part of it is that unlike the students that left her previously, Evgenia is leaving on her own terms and it is seen as Evgenia making the choice to leave her for Brian vs. what happened with Yulia where it kind of seemed like Yulia was being discarded even though she left. Evgenia is going away to a lesser club/coach, she's leaving to go train at one of the most prestigious training facilities in the world that produced the likes of Yuna, Yuzuru, and Javier headed up by former Olympic medalists Brian and Tracy. I think that's the part that eats at her... Evgenia had the foresight to know what would eventually happen if she stayed with Eteri - the fact that none of the her former female students made it out past 18 is pretty telling! Evgenia loves skating and loves to compete and she wants to stick around so she took the initiative to do something about it. In a way, Eteri should be proud that she "raised" such a fierce and independent champion! Also, Evgenia's mom is also not someone to be trifled with either. She was a former figure skater that had to stop when she got injured at 14 or 15 so she knows what's what... and I thought I read somewhere that her mom works in PR so this is a team that Eteri can't bully 

Could be, but actually looking at the popcorn video, what Mishin said is also true. Combining NA style creative freedom with the strict discipline that is characteristic of Russian schools, it is a scary combination. Same could be said of Jpn schools and what happened with Yuzu is a result. Talk about setting a goal and doing everything in an orderly, disciplined manner to achieve that-tad frightening.

19 minutes ago, Xen said:

Could be, but actually looking at the popcorn video, what Mishin said is also true. Combining NA style creative freedom with the strict discipline that is characteristic of Russian schools, it is a scary combination. Same could be said of Jpn schools and what happened with Yuzu is a result. Talk about setting a goal and doing everything in an orderly, disciplined manner to achieve that-tad frightening.

Yeah absolutely agree, it's not a guarantee that this will work out for her but that's exactly the reason why I commend her decision to do it. It's a calculated risk on her part and if it works then it's a win-win for her and the TCC team. If it doesn't play out that she wants then she gets the satisfaction that she did everything she could with no regrets. I think the chances of success are greater than failure if she stays healthy. Although TCC treats each skater as an individual with their own tailored training plan, they do have a bit of blue print of how to mesh the NA style creative freedom with the more regimented discipline of the Russian and to an extent the Asian FS schools - see Yuna and Yuzu. If they succeed with Evgenia, it will cement TCC and Brian into the history books for sure. I remember reading somewhere that Brian is a very ambitious coach as well so I definitely see "what's in it for him". All in all - I am looking forward to seeing how this new partnership works. I hope Rus Fed will give them the necessary time to see this through... that's the bigger question... 

Tbh Yuna, Yuzu and Javi all come to TCC for better training condition with top coaches, top choreographers, great facilities ( and a bit pcs boost) and they would have more ice time there than in their own country. They hardly ever train with a professional team before while Evgenia did for a long time,  just different in style and habit. I agree with Mishin and Raf, they have valid concern. But both Brian and Evgenia know all eyes will be on them so next season will be very interesting.