2018/19 Coaching changes

I re-read Borser's interviw with Phil and can I say that he seems really pleased and glad that Medo approched him xD.

Also, I need Zhenya to drag Yuzu with her all the way to Niagara falls LOL.

And I'm very impatiently wating for FAOI with Zhenya, Misha, Yuzu, Javi, Shibs - all FS family with all their shenanigans xD. I hope they will have great time together.

1 hour ago, Nuitsuki said:

I feel like he was trying to calm down both parties....but maybe it’s just me. Of course, I dislike very much, even disgust, Eteri’s reactions (lying, trashing her own student on TV, dragging another student into this mess, etc.). But in media war, I don’t think Zhenya can win over Eteri, simply because she was her coach, and people (general public) would trust Eteri more than her. So whats the point of fighting a fight she can’t win? Just give her a bit of nice words to calm her down, and don’t engage more with media. Which are what Zhenya did. Girl is smart.

Honestly I think there's nothing she can do to explain her situation. Any explaining would be nitpicked by people who want to judge her and sometimes there's literally no way to make people understand if they were not there. 

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if Zhenya did not let Eteri know she was leaving. Eteri seems spiteful and with her influence could do anything in her power to stop Zhenya from leaving so it was best for Zhenya to keep her out of the loop as much as possible. Zhenya probably observed this with Eteri's other students who came and left before her. How do you begin to explain this type of dynamic to an outsider? You can't, so you just don't. Maybe Eteri was right to feel slighted but probably only because she is not bothering to understand Zhenya's point of view right now.

Can I just say that of all the haters Med's getting, the ones who are worried for Eteri because TAT and Trankov "hate" her, and because many want her to fail, leading to a decline in the Russian "boom" are the worst of them all? Just absolute awfulness.

That's probably also including that one rando who was bashing Med for being "spoiled".

Haters are the worst - seriously people need to get a life. If they applied as much time and effort to their own lives maybe they won’t have so much time and energy to hate others. Ok now I understand why they are for Eteri now. Med will be fine - she has a great support system. TAT and other importany Rus Fed respected “elders” lover her. Now that she will be in Canada - I think the international contingent will love her as well. She and her team handled this really well considering the circumstances. She just needs to keep her head up and continue to prepare for her move. She’s got shows in Japan where she will see lots of her good friends and supportive fans and then it’s off to TCC. I do wonder about whether she is living by herself or if her mom is moving too. I think her mom has a pretty important job in Moscow? 

15 minutes ago, LucyH said:

Haters are the worst - seriously people need to get a life. If they applied as much time and effort to their own lives maybe they won’t have so much time and energy to hate others. Ok now I understand why they are for Eteri now. Med will be fine - she has a great support system. TAT and other importany Rus Fed respected “elders” lover her. Now that she will be in Canada - I think the international contingent will love her as well. She and her team handled this really well considering the circumstances. She just needs to keep her head up and continue to prepare for her move. She’s got shows in Japan where she will see lots of her good friends and supportive fans and then it’s off to TCC. I do wonder about whether she is living by herself or if her mom is moving too. I think her mom has a pretty important job in Moscow? 

IIRC Brian said Med and her mom will move to Canada in the end of June.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Honestly I think there's nothing she can do to explain her situation. Any explaining would be nitpicked by people who want to judge her and sometimes there's literally no way to make people understand if they were not there. 

To be fair I wouldn't be surprised if Zhenya did not let Eteri know she was leaving. Eteri seems spiteful and with her influence could do anything in her power to stop Zhenya from leaving so it was best for Zhenya to keep her out of the loop as much as possible. Zhenya probably observed this with Eteri's other students who came and left before her. How do you begin to explain this type of dynamic to an outsider? You can't, so you just don't. Maybe Eteri was right to feel slighted but probably only because she is not bothering to understand Zhenya's point of view right now.

But if Eteri was ghosted, she was ghosted by EVERYBODY - her own club, her fed, Zhenya, Zhenya's mom and agent - everybody. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if Eteri was being truthful about not being told directly, then everybody planned it to make it so, probably because of how she's responded to such situations until now. That might make her feel pretty isolated and very angry, but it will keep her from doing or saying too much more. She's a practical woman, she can't afford to get on everybody's bad side, no matter what kind of results she delivers. 

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

There is no way Eteri didn’t know Zhenya is moving. The head of Sambo club knew, RusFed knew, and she didn’t know? Her group deleted Zhenya’s pics a couple days before the announcement. She must’ve known, she just wanted to portray herself as an innocent coach who was abandoned by her ‘daughter’ 😩

I’m not worried for Eteri. I disagree with the way she treats skaters (current and ex included), and I wish her students could move out of the group before too late. I just think that, in this case, a bit of soft words maybe necessary to avoid drama and criticism towards Zhenya from the public. I’m never for Eteri since the beginning. What i’m saying is being nice to her is better for Zhenya’s image. 

How could you reduce someone’s anger by keep saying “no you’re wrong, you must admit it”? What Grishin said is like “i understand your feelings, but look, your student has rationales for doing so. I understand your bond and your loss, but now you have more time for other students. This move is benificial for both of you.”. It doesn’t mean he is for Eteri, it’s just a way to calm her down.

4 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

But if Eteri was ghosted, she was ghosted by EVERYBODY - her own club, her fed, Zhenya, Zhenya's mom and agent - everybody. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but if Eteri was being truthful about not being told directly, then everybody planned it to make it so, probably because of how she's responded to such situations until now. That might make her feel pretty isolated and very angry, but it will keep her from doing or saying too much more. She's a practical woman, she can't afford to get on everybody's bad side, no matter what kind of results she delivers. 

3 minutes ago, Nuitsuki said:

There is no way Eteri didn’t know Zhenya is moving. The head of Sambo club knew, RusFed knew, and she didn’t know? Her group deleted Zhenya’s pics a couple days before the announcement. She must’ve known, she just wanted to portray herself as an innocent coach who was abandoned by her ‘daughter’ 😩

Yeah I don't think Eteri didn't know, and I think she was lying (at least a bit) on TV. But I can understand if Zhenya didn't tell her directly, or told her only after the plans were made, which she may have felt was very disrespectful. But it was for good reason, as we can probably surmise.

6 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah I don't think Eteri didn't know, and I think she was lying (at least a bit) on TV. But I can understand if Zhenya didn't tell her directly, or told her only after the plans were made, which she may have felt was very disrespectful. But it was for good reason, as we can probably surmise.

Oh yeah, it is for excellent reason. "So, hello, here are flowers, and also, thank you, but also, I really want to go to Canada and train under Brian Orser. We good here? See, flowers!" 

That would've turned out just great.

4 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I still remember on friday when the announcement was out, Eteri was like “i don’t want to comment anything” then sunday she went full force on the national tv channel, at prime time, badmouthing Zhenya :judgmental:

If she doesn’t want to been seen as a coach who can only teach young girls, she could’ve continue to keep silent and made this split business-like as Zhenya did, then say like “Zhenya and I had conversation and we didn’t come to agreement on certain parts. She now wants to try a different method which unfortunately does not fit with our current one. I wish she luck and health for her ongoing career”. Don’t need to talk down Zhenya and Orser, just be like “yeah their have different approach from us”. She could’ve lie, I don’t care, as long as it preserves good image for her and Zhenya. It’s not like everything they disclose must be true 🤷‍♀️

But instead, she was blaming everything on Zhenya, even disclose private conversations which she must know really well that it would affect Zhenya’s image. Do I believe she was doing it under frustration and she wasn’t conscious of her actions? No. It looks like she had spent two days to arrange this, to destroy Zhenya. 

Having say that, playing dirt with Eteri will not bring anything good. Just calm her down, give a bit comfort to her giant ego, and hopefully she would shut up.

Eteri: I run a factory, where I take in raw materials and churn out products. Wait... what, my products are no longer mine? Have minds of their own? #$@$#*2@(#$@!!!

BO: my students are unique individuals, no two are alike, I have no cookie-cutter. Plus, I want to make sure that they have a life beyond skating. 

Easy to see why *everybody* should move to BO. Honestly, poor Zhenya suffered for too long. 

Wonder what's Nathan's coach philosophy is like? 

36 minutes ago, wingman said:

Eteri: I run a factory, where I take in raw materials and churn out products. Wait... what, my products are no longer mine? Have minds of their own? #$@$#*2@(#$@!!!

BO: my students are unique individuals, no two are alike, I have no cookie-cutter. Plus, I want to make sure that they have a life beyond skating. 

Easy to see why *everybody* should move to BO. Honestly, poor Zhenya suffered for too long. 

Wonder what's Nathan's coach philosophy is like? 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/05/08/figure-skating/rafael-arutunian-looking-forward-coaching-teen-star-marin-honda/#.WvKMDogvzIW

I [the author] wanted to know if Arutunian had any kind of mental training for Honda in his plans.

“I focus on technical and physical, and when they come together, the mental strength shows up,” Arutunian commented. “I think this is the way it works for everybody. If you train well, and are physically strong, then sooner or later your mental strength will show up. Sometimes it happens late.”

@moonkat Thanks! Wonder if this mean that he thinks Marin's problem is a mental one?

I must disagree with him though. There are plenty of athletes who just cannot hold their nerves. My favorite table tennis player Fukuhara Ai is an example. She is technically perfect, has the endurance, but always falter when she needs to get that last point. :crybaby:

We all thought that it will come with age, but alas it still isn't the case... 

Hope Marin won't fall into the same cycle. She probably won't get any specific mental coaching from Arutunian by the sound of it.