2018/19 Coaching changes

Just now, Huiqi said:

Ok. Noted. Sorry about that.

Don't worry about it, it happens! Especially those newer to fandom in general, or certain bits of it, have no way of knowing who is who :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

@hoodie axel It's around 3:35 AM in Moscow so it'll be a while, especially if Zhenya wants to meet with her team, on account of this new development. I don't remember if they ever said anything about an actual time; just that it's on Monday.

Med is being nice, if Eteri did that to me, I would have gone to TCC and barter an agreement to switch my flag to CSKA. Say bai to half of political clout, dear former coach, and yeah, that would be pretty dirty and likely lead to an exodus.

As for Polina, would not be surprised if Eteri tries to block all transfers. It is an issue of threat control, and making sure a good portion of the top Russian ladies are within her control. She then gets to dictate how they compete with each other. 

This article seems to suggest an official announcement has been made? And it may be a "lost in translation" thing, but it really doesn't paint Eteri in a positive light, but rather, as someone who gets slighted easily? Shame, really. Mr Orser doesn't seem to be the sort who would openly criticise and be negative of other coaches and athletes, but rather voice his concern about the well-being of athletes in general.

http://tass.com/sport/1003055

Just now, Cerunias said:

This article seems to suggest an official announcement has been made? And it may be a "lost in translation" thing, but it really doesn't paint Eteri in a positive light, but rather, as someone who gets slighted easily? Shame, really. Mr Orser doesn't seem to be the sort who would openly criticise and be negative of other coaches and athletes, but rather voice his concern about the well-being of athletes in general.

http://tass.com/sport/1003055

But Orser was kinda hypocritical. He had Stephen doing quads at 12 and Elizabet Tursynbayeva was even practicing quads before she got injured while criticizing Eteri for having Trusova doing quads at 13. So I don't think it's about the well-being of athletes. I know many hanyu fans love him but I know he was wrong with these comments. 

Monday can't come soon enough! I need this saga to end so I can go back to not checking for updates every 30 minutes. LOL 

And it was getting heated at GS that the mods closed down the thread that was started for Evgenia leaving Eteri

14 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

But Orser was kinda hypocritical. He had Stephen doing quads at 12 and Elizabet Tursynbayeva was even practicing quads before she got injured while criticizing Eteri for having Trusova doing quads at 13. So I don't think it's about the well-being of athletes. I know many hanyu fans love him but I know he was wrong with these comments. 

Get your fact straight before commenting. This is exactly what Orser said:

"This young girl (Trusova) doing quads now, how is she going to be when she's 17 or 18?'' Orser said. "It's all fun, with everybody marveling on social media about her, but it could be a very short-lived phenomenon."

I see no problem for him to say this. Anyone remember Miki Ando doing 4S when she was a kid and how she lost it when she grew up? Been there, done that. Good luck to all the young ladies trying to do quads. But no one can say they're going to grow up with fully rotated quads once they pass the puberty. I gained 10 kgs during my puberty and lost the weight when I got older but that was a hard time for my body. It can happen to all the ladies out there. It is a normal concern. 

Just now, meoima said:

Get your fact straight before commenting. This is exactly what Orser said:

I see no problem for him to say this. Anyone remember Miki Ando doing 4S when she was a kid and how she lost it when she grew up? Been there, done that. Good luck to all the young ladies trying to do quads. But no one can say they're going to grow up with fully rotated quads once they pass the puberty. I gained 10 kgs during my puberty and lost the weight when I got older but that was a hard time for my body. It can happen to all the ladies out there. It is a normal concern. 

then why was he making Elzabet practicing quad when he knew she was gonna lose them anyway? 

Just now, singermelodie1 said:

then why was he making Elzabet practicing quad when he knew she was gonna lose them anyway? 

Making or letting? And how old was Elizabet when she joined him? 

43 minutes ago, Fay said:

Making or letting? And how old was Elizabet when she joined him? 

14/15? Although she wasn't trying quads at 14. But even if she was, it doesn't make him hypocritical. He didn't say "Eteri, don't let your skater do quads" he expressed concern about skaters' health and said she might not be doing them at 17/18. Which, you know, maybe he felt the same about his own skater? 

45 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

I don't think Brian Orser knows anything lol, and he didn't say that he did. He just said that it was a question whether the young girls will keep their quads and that health was important which it is...and could apply to his own skaters too especially if they are doing quads as well. Nowhere did he say that anyone should stop doing quads.

5 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

14/15? Although she was trying quads at 14. But even if she was, it doesn't make him hypocritical. He didn't say "Eteri, don't let your skater do quads" he expressed concern about skaters' health and said she might not be doing them at 17/18. Which, you know, maybe he felt the same about his own skater? 

Exactly - remember Miki also had a quad as a junior and I don't think she was ever able to replicate it as a senior so as history has proven, having quads at 13/14 is not a guarantee for having them later once puberty hits. How is this hypocritical of Brian to mention? 

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

14/15? Although she was trying quads at 14. But even if she was, it doesn't make him hypocritical. He didn't say "Eteri, don't let your skater do quads" he expressed concern about skaters' health and said she might not be doing them at 17/18. Which, you know, maybe he felt the same about his own skater? 

Exactly, he did not say we should not let them do quads at such young age. The point is will they keep their quads when they grow up and that issue no one will never know until they're all grown up. 

42 minutes ago, singermelodie1 said:

If you read all the quotes that were published, you'll see that he does have concerns about Stephen practising quads as well. He said - I'm paraphrasing - that he does have Stephen, who is jumping quads, but training for him is so carefully done, with attention paid to his growing pains. 'Growing pains'  are the words he used - that the moment Stephen feels pain, he stops training, until he's feeling completely fine and ready, which could be a couple of weeks. Stephen is used to/okay with those breaks as well.

It's a bit much to expect an elite coach to not let his students train quads at all when they need quads to compete. But it sounded like Brian is trying to make the best choices within the constraints of what he has to do.

I don't think he mentioned Lil Bet. I do worry about Lil Bet because she was obviously injured, even if she managed to get better by the Olys - enough to perform cleaner than she had in a while. She had a hip injury, and she looked uncomfortable. We don't know how her training was handled during that time, but she did not have a good runup to the Olys. From what I remember, Brian did get Lil Bet to slow down on quads. Gabby, however, is rumoured to have a 4T now.