2018/19 Coaching changes

3 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

It’s a remarkably childish and unprofessional reaction.

The thing is, it can seriously escalate too.

Zhenya's statement is tomorrow. At this point, considering I didn't expect Eteri to do this, I am honestly afraid to say anything as who knows what she is going to say. But overall, I am hoping that she will pull the breaks, as much as possible, for the good of everyone. Sigh.  But then I was totally wrong at the start so ... 

I admit I don't know anything about Eteri as I've never been interested in women's FS, but when I saw those comments from her about how her girls will need to make sacrifices and won't be able to eat what they want and such, if they want to be Olympic champions, it really rubbed me the wrong way. Evgenia is almost out, but Alina is a teenager. Aside from body changes, there are hormones and all that stuff and I believe there are many things one needs to be careful with when it comes to teenagers. (Actually, I have to say the one thing I liked the most in Yuri on Ice was that older coach saying "no quads at 15! No quads as long as your body is still growing" or some such thing.) If for example any of those young girls is the more voluptuous type, what will they do to try to hold that back? That's the stuff I worry about. Body types are different and some girl can be very fit and still not super slim. The impression of a factory of female figure skaters is strong, and that's disturbing, because it makes you wonder how much their well-being is being taken into account (beyond being healthy and fit enough to compete, because that's nowhere near enough). Of course, all athletes have to make sacrifices, but in those comments it sounded a lot more drastic. Like she would make sure those sacrifices will be made, which is kind of ridiculous? The choices to make the sacrifices should belong to the athletes themselves. Or maybe I'm just too idealistic and thinking too much.

As for Evgenia possibly making those comments, it wouldn't surprise me. I know I would in her place. It definitely wouldn't be something to say in public, but an outburst one would allow oneself with someone they trust. Having that trust betrayed... I really hope won't affect her long term. A betrayal like that can make one lose trust in people in general and holding on to outbursts like that is not good. Again, speaking from experience. Not being a fan or follower of either, it still felt a bit like they used Evgenia for years to test some skating methods and scoring points methods (the backloading in particular), then after she proved the method to be secure, they brought in a new, fresh kid, who could do all that even more efficiently (so as not to say better, because that has implications), and of course, she won. With the very method Evgenia perfected. I'd be annoyed, too. And not at the rival, but at the people who made it happen. Yes, holding back Alina would have been unfair to her, but I very much doubt Eteri & co didn't see it coming. Especially with Evgenia having been injured, too.

All in all, I just hope Evgenia comes out of this stronger. And far more lady-like than her ex-coach...

9 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

If for example any of those young girls is the more voluptuous type, what will they do to try to hold that back?

Eteri has mentioned that she doesn't accept students who are too tall or ... i don't know the exact words but who don't have Alina and Zhenya's body types. She said that Polina Tsurskaya does not really fit her model because she is too tall and more "voluptuous" as you put it, but they decided to keep her in the group anyway (presumably because she is talented).

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

Eteri has mentioned that she doesn't accept students who are too tall or ... i don't know the exact words but who don't have Alina and Zhenya's body types. She said that Polina Tsurskaya does not really fit her model because she is too tall and more "voluptuous" as you put it, but they decided to keep her in the group anyway (presumably because she is talented).

Thank you for that info. I can understand the logic of that - it does make her job a bit easier; though how can you figure that when they haven't really passed puberty? - but it doesn't get her bonus points in my book... A good coach should be able to find and emphasize a skater's qualities regardless of body type. Obviously, not everyone can be a champion, but still. (Actually, to be fair, nothing I've read here about her got her any bonus points, so far ^_^; But Brian and Tracy & co have spoiled me, I guess.)

I go offline for one hour and Eteri decides to go nuclear? :13877886:

I so sad for Zhenya having to live through this now. And decide exactly how and how forcefully to defend herself. I hope people in the Russian fs community will stand up for Zhenya after this attack too.

2 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I hope Zhenya spills all the tea now. What is wrong with Eteri? Why can't she ever let her good students go without flinging mud all over them? And you know what, I don't even believe Zhenya would have said anything of the sort except in a moment of really emotional low. In which case it should be treated like one of those unwise confessions, not aired on national TV. 

This. We  all sometimes say things,  succumbing to emotions. And  I bet the degree  of  emotions  at that  moment  was  through the  roof.  Eteri  seems  so reasonable   generally ,  why  would  she even mention it, even if it's  true ? This is  so  wrong on so many levels.