2018/19 Coaching changes

13 minutes ago, Fay said:

He’d ruin his technique in doing that. There isn’t that much prerotation on axel anyway, I think. 

Around 90 degrees?

And Med PRs around 180 degree on her 2A. But PR is the least of her worries there.

And, the more I think of this, the less I'm sure it will help.

Unless Med learns a quad, and does it consistently, will she ever keep up with the new gen? Pure technique isn't being rewarded. Med benefited from that, and the future Eteri girls might. Can she learn a 3S-3Lo? Can she fix her 2A and learn a 3A? Her edge jumps are her strength.

Her PCS is already maxed out. Her current tech GOEs are already maxed out. She certainly needs better jumping ability, but she's already getting the points. So what will Orser do for her? She wants to compete, and yes Orser will provide stability and packaging, but will her scores increase further, then? They're already right up there. She'll stay in competition, but in contention? Don't know.

Ultimately, the system of reward needs to factor in quality. And it might now. But unless there's a proven change, is there any real help here? Proposals for rewarding quality are there, but will they really be effective? Orser did take her on, but IDK what the intent was. But maybe he does see quad potential there. Grit is there, anyway.

3 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Around 90 degrees?

And Med PRs around 180 degree on her 2A. But PR is the least of her worries there.

And, the more I think of this, the less I'm sure it will help.

Unless Med learns a quad, and does it consistently, will she ever keep up with the new gen? Pure technique isn't being rewarded. Med benefited from that, and the future Eteri girls might. Can she learn a 3S-3Lo? Can she fix her 2A and learn a 3A? Her edge jumps are her strength.

Her PCS is already maxed out. Her current tech GOEs are already maxed out. She certainly needs better jumping ability, but she's already getting the points. So what will Orser do for her? She wants to compete, and yes Orser will provide stability and packaging, but will her scores increase further, then? They're already right up there. She'll stay in competition, but in contention? Don't know.

Ultimately, the system of reward needs to factor in quality. And it might now. But unless there's a proven change, is there any real help here? Proposals for rewarding quality are there, but will they really be effective. Orser did take her on, but IDK what the intent was. But maybe she does see quad potential there. Grit is there, anyway.

All that you said would still be a problem if she stayed under Eteri though, so she might as well give it a chance if she's going for a longevity in her fs career, which according to her interviews, she is. And I congratulate her on that! 

Only time will tell, there's still no -official- confirmation that it is actually going to be Orser btw.

3 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

All that you said would still be a problem if she stayed under Eteri though, so she might as well give it a chance if she's going for a longevity in her fs career, which according to her interviews, she is. And I congratulate her on that! 

It will be a problem, and as I said, if her intention is to stay in competition, Orser is the one for it. For contention? The system will hold her down after a couple of years (can't believe I'm saying that in the case of Med). But let's wait for the proposals to pass, and to see what Orser will do with her 4S potential, and her axel.

11 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

It must be hard to have to constantly be at your best because your biggest competitors are watching all the time.

It must have been a nightmare during the time she was injured. I think usually, it is all right. All the girls are used to it as they're mixed together so they know each other. But while she was injured, with Trusova doing quads, and Alina doing lz-lo, etc and she was going down on regular steps, that must have been very very hard. I don't agree with the idea (not yours, but in general) she needed these around her to be motivated. An OGM is the greatest motivation there is and it was right.there. for her and then it started slipping away. That documentary was brutal, brutal to watch. It would be killing her spirit. So I think at the time, Eteri should have separated them. But well. 

I'm very excited about the news, Zhenya leaving Eteri was not a surprise but moving to Orser is another thing :) I'm very excited to see how things will turn out for her in TCC, and how she will improve as a skater. I wish her good luck! :agree:

So far, she and her team are handling the whole media situation very well and I'm curious what will happen after the official announcement (on Monday?). :popcorn:

10 minutes ago, Gaby said:

But  I'm having   hard  time  believing  the  RusFed  would be  willing  to  pay  for her  training  under  a foreign  coach. I wonder  how  she  figures it  out.  

I think the Russian Federation would pay for her training costs, or at least a part of it, but Zhenya has her own money too (probably enough money from sponsorships and being a multiple World champion and Olympic medalist), so I think she will be fine. 

4 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I think the Russian Federation would pay for her training costs, or at least a part of it, but Zhenya has her own money too (probably enough money from sponsorships and being a multiple World champion and Olympic medalist), so I think she will be fine. 

As far as I know, she's paying for it by herself but it'll be fine. She had some very, very nice deals lately.

7 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

Only time will tell, there's still no -official- confirmation that it is actually going to be Orser btw.

That's what I get, too. I can't see the benefit in improving when her scores are already as high as they are except for longevity or for her own love of skating and it does sound like that from recent interviews. I'll wait to hear confirmation from Brian himself, though.

This is all so strange. I can't imagine how things will turn out for her with a team that has such a massively different philosophy than the one she's coming from but I'm sure interested to find out! I feel like I'm in that twighlighty show about that zone. 

I'll wait for comments directly from Zhenya or her new coach, but I'm looking forward to seeing her with a new choreographer :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

As to the rumor about Wakaba changing coach or not, I haven't heard or read anything in Japanese. To me, it looks more like a dream for people love both her and TCC than a rumor. Although she could not go to the Olympics, she's been doing great with her current coach. Not like Marin when she was training under Mie Hamada, she doesn't share her coach with her direct rivals. Also, she can ask for help from TCC without changing coach since the head coach of her skating club is a long-time friend of Brian. She has participated TCC's summer camps in the past, so she may be practicing 3A with harness at TCC this summer, but I doubt she would relocate.

But who knows, seeing what's happening now :laughing:

Well, didn't see it coming :popcorn:

I don't know if Zhenya will benefit from the move to another coach (likely TCC) scoring wise but at least it will be interesting to see her with other types of programmes and choreo :popcorn:

I think Borser has enough students now so I doubt he'd take in any other top skater... Which is disappointing because I was hoping for Wakaba to have the chance to train with him. I think she could benefit from TCC's coaching the most- they'd help her stabilize her 3A and flip edge, add more transitions, polish her SS, manage her nerves, have smarter jump layouts, raise her PCs...
On the other hand, I don't see how TCC could help Evgenia besides trying to fix her flutz and giving her better choreos... Her PCs and GOEs are already maxed out... She's already incredibly confident and she doesn't need any more transitions. I'd be surprised if she manages to change some habits of her skating at this point in her career (for instance, with her current technique I'd be shocked if she managed to land a quad or even 3A- which she might need to stay competitive in 2022)
Brian might be an excellent coach but he won't necessarily work well with everyone- he's been successful at turning young, unpolished and up-coming skaters into champions but I'm not sure he could be of such good help to a girl who has already established her style and won everything.
Though I might not like her skating, I really like her as a person and I wish her the best. I'm also happy that Yuzu will have another friend by his side at TCC.

Well, this was something. I am really looking forward to Zhenya getting better programmes. Won't give her a PCS rise, there's not much room to rise, but she deserves better programmes and so do we. And looking forward to her axel being fixed, I'm sure it can be at TCC, her other edge jumps are great. 

As for the rest, I hope she will really enjoy training and skating again.