[Book][Translation]The Road to Olympic Gold (by Noriko Shirota)

norwhite

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY, DEAR PLANET!:tumblr_inline_mp4i2vHXDy1qz4rgp:

Shirota san's book has been mentioned some time before, but I think I've not seen a full translation on this planet so I decided to do something for our lovely home. I bought this book on my visit to the Takashimaya Exhibition, partly because all the other goods were sold out, partly because it is in fact very thoughtful and interesting to read. Generally speaking, the book is a reflection of Shirota san's career, but it looked to me more like a reflection on Japan's figure skating history. Most contents about Yuzu have already been summarized, however, I actually find some of the words Shirota san's used quite touching and it made me a crying mess on the plane back.

I don't know if it's appropriate to post a book that is not strictly Yuzuru related so I'll post the content and Yuzu's parts first and update as my translation goes.

* Mar. 15th Update: Prayers for everyone's health and safety. Take care, dear Yuzu, and take care, satellites! 

Updates may be very slow but I'll try to keep up~Please do let me know if you see any mistakes. Thank you~(hugs):tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Road to Olympic Gold  日本フィギュアスケート 金メダルへの挑戦

Noriko Shirota 城田憲子

CONTENT

Preface

Chapter 1 Enchanted by Figure Skating (See Page 2)

• Even Though I Can Never Win a Medal
  • Becoming a Member of Japan Skating Federation
  • The Impact of A Genius: Midori Ito
  • Starting the “Midori Ito Project”
  • The Miscalculation in Albertville
  • Things I learnt from Midori

Chapter 2 Japan’s Figure Skating: The Age of Winter (See Page 2)

• The Gold Medal is “Comprehensiveness”
  • The Trials at NHK Trophy
  • The National Hopeful Youngster Scouting Camp
  • The Sunset in Saint Gervais
  • Tasting Humiliation at Nagano Olympics

Chapter 3 Becoming Minister of the Reinforcement Group (See Page 2)

• Abroad from Novice
  • Being Supported by a Wonderful Staff
  • Improving Competition Arrangements
  • The Judge's Experience Exists for Reinforcements
  • The Struggle of A Genius: Takeshi Honda
  • Salt Lake City Olympics: Melting Snow Takes a Long Time

Chapter 4 Shizuka Arakawa: The Road to the Gold Medal

• The Risky Coaching Change
  • The Mao Asada Hurricane Is Too Strong
  • Between Failure and Anxiety
  • Olympics Selection
  • Now, To Torino!

Chapter 5 The Light and Shadow of the Gold Medal

• The Fruit of Hard Work: Fumie Suguri
  • The Spring of Talent: Miki Ando
  • The Promise Never Fulfilled: Daisuke Takahashi
  • The Incident that Shook Japan Skating Federation

Chapter 6 Yuzuru Hanyu: From Sochi to PyeongChang

• In the Centre of 2011 Earthquake
  • Meeting Yuzuru Hanyu
  • Offering Hanyu the “Three Choices”
  • Cricket Club Helps Man Spread Wings Around the World
  • Aiming for Japan’s First Repeat Olympic Gold
  • “Ballad No.1” and “SEIMEI”
  • Nice: Until the Legendary Performance Was Born

Postscript: What Lies Ahead of Japan Figure Skating History

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preface

In March 2017, the World Figure Skating Championships were held in Helsinki Hartwall Arena. It was a competition that would tell who was most likely to win the PyeongChang Olympic Games a year later. When faced with the situation of having to catch up from the fifth place in the short program, I said to Yuzuru Hanyu,

“If you feel defeated, I feel two times more. But what else can we do besides trying?”

Hanyu listened without a word. I had no idea whether he heard what I said, but I couldn’t keep quiet.

Looking back at the 2016-2017 season, a season which began from recovery from an injury, he had devoted immeasurable hard work and dispelled countless doubts to return to the ice arena. He would do whatever it takes to get onto the top of the podium.

There was no room for errors if he wanted to win.

I had faith in him. Yuzuru Hanyu would make it happen.

Then he went on to perform his free skate “Hope & Legacy” perfectly to reclaim the Worlds title after three years. I believe the scene is still fresh in your memories.

“You can’t be the true World Champion if you cannot win here.” I myself also had such a thought before the free skate. Hanyu landed a new jump, the quadruple loop smoothly at the beginning of the program, followed by a quadruple salchow landed beautifully. Then after an appealing level four step sequence and gorgeous spins, he landed for the first time in the season the quad salchow triple toe loop combination in the second half. Here he successfully executed all eight jumping passes.

The result was a new world record of 223.20 points, overtaking the record he set during the 2015 Grand Prix Final. He earned a total score of 321.59 points, shutting the door for the skaters yet to perform to surpass him. The program was gentle and graceful as if there was music played from within his body, but meanwhile strong and powerful as if the entire arena was taken control by a single figure.

As an athlete, Yuzuru Hanyu hates losing more than anyone else. Under circumstances like this, he shows incomparable concentration and mental toughness that can overcome any kind of obstacles. Sometimes I say harsh words to him, since I believe that’s what I should do to bring out the strength within him. But the reason I can do such a thing lies in that he has the ability to answer my expectations.

Rare talent in skating techniques, as well as strong mentality and desire for victory, he has everything needed to become an Olympic gold medalist. I had felt it many times when I watched him compete from aside. At the same time, I felt overwhelmed, overwhelmed by the fact that Japan’s figure skating has come such a long way to produce two Olympic gold medalists, Shizuka Arakawa in ladies’ singles and Yuzuru Hanyu in men’s.

Since I started to get into figure skating, sixty years have passed. Now I mainly work as supervisor of the ANA Skating Club to support Hanyu, but in the past I had been a singles skater, an ice dancer, and a member of the Japan Figure Skating Federation, taking skaters to international competitions after retirement. I used to be a judge at the Olympics and World Championships as well. However, at that time, Japan was sarcastically called the “far east” by the figure skating world, and the Olympic medal was so far from our reach. Frustration accumulated, it became my dream,

“One day, there will be a gold medalist from Japan...”

During the six years before Japan won its first Olympic gold medal in figure skating, I worked as the minister of the Reinforcement Group of Japan Skating Federation. I had made a lot of mistakes, a lot of robust decisions and said a lot of harsh words, so I am more than grateful for those skaters and staff who kept following me.

I have only one wish, to present the charm of figure skating to the most. Figure skating is a sport where only one or two skaters stand in a 60*30 metre rink while the sights of the audience come from all around the arena. Skaters perform with all attentions focused on them. It is difficult to find a similar sport in the world, but it is not a lonely sport. Every one of the athletes uses his own heart and body to perform. No matter they succeeds or fails, they step onto the ice ready to show their everything. I have never lost the motivation to push them from behind.

I wish to bring victory to the athletes. I wish to bring gold medals to the athletes. So I decide to turn all those years I spent driven by such emotions into words as my thanks for you. Thanks to the skaters who fought with me during these years, the many coaches and staff who guided me and supported me, and all the figure skating fans who always cheered for Japan’s athletes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6 Yuzuru Hanyu: From Sochi to PyeongChang

In the Centre of 2011 Earthquake

“It’s an honour to meet you.”

Spring, 2012, 17-year-old Yuzuru Hanyu was a bit nervous to greet coach Brian Orser, who he had decided to train under. He went up in front of Orser and deeply lowered his head.

The location was the hotel Brian was staying in Tokyo. Hanyu was trying his best to express what he had aimed for in the future in English, a language he had not been used to. Brian immediately showed appreciation towards his sincere attitudes.

Coach Brian Orser was once a big star who won the silver medal of mens singles at Sarajevo and Calgary Olympics, and he had coached from 2007 Yuna Kim (Korea) to her winning the gold medal in ladies singles skating at Vancouver Olympics. When I just returned to the Reinforcement Group, I said to him, “One day, please coach Japan’s top athletes.” It had been almost three years since that request was made.

Brian is a great coach who receives offers from around the world. One cannot imagine who might have approached him, so it is very important to get in contact with him as early as possible. I informed him of the name “Yuzuru Hanyu” merely one month before the meeting, and it was after Hanyu got onto the podium at his World Figure Skating Championships debut in Nice, France.

However, I started to consider sending Hanyu to Brian a year ago, several months after the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami of 2011. Because of the earthquake, the rink Hanyu practiced, Ice Rink Sendai was closed. During the four month before it reopened, he left to train at Kanagawa Skating Rink (currently named Yokohama Bank Ice Arena), where his childhood coach Shoichiro Tsutsuki taught, meanwhile performing in 60 ice shows including the “East Japan Earthquake Charity Show” in Kobe for a chance to stand on the ice.

One year ago, when Hanyu first competed on the senior level, he came in fourth at Japan National Championships after Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda and Daisuke Takahashi. Right after that he became the youngest men’s medalist of Four Continents Championships. He was at a critical point of his career that would decide whether he could advance to the world stage. “Looking back at his junior record, it is highly possible for him to aim for a medal at Sochi Olympics two years later. Is it OK to let a talented skater continue like this?” I thought about it when I heard his conditions. Even after I left the post of Minister of the Reinforcement Group, Hanyu’s parents would approach me if they saw me at ice shows, asking me for advice on costume choices or which sort of school was best to advance to. It was probably because we knew each other in the past and they found it easy to talk to me. In the summer of 2011, when I met Hanyu’s mother again after a long time, she told me about how bad his training environment was and it was far beyond my imagination. “It cannot go on like this.” That was when I decided to look for a new training base.

Meeting Yuzuru Hanyu

Looking further back, the first time I got to know the existence of Yuzuru Hanyu was in 2004, again at Nobeyama Camp when I was still Minister of Reinforcement Group. Vice Minister Yoshioka told me, “There is a boy who can express music with his body. Please come and have a look.” So I went with him to the room where the eurhythmics lesson was being taught and peeked, immediately realizing which “boy” Yoshioka was referring to. Hanyu was in fourth grade in primary school at that time. He can catch the music note and naturally move his body along with it and has a great sense of rhythm to decide his pose in no time. More importantly he enjoys using his entire body to present the image he gets from music and is able to deliver it with his posture.

“He is good. Very good.” A lot of Japanese men, past or present, are not good at presenting music with their bodies without being afraid of that music. In the end, whether a skater’s ability can be cultivated depends on his own sense. Seeing the on-ice training before, Hanyu was described as who jumps bravely and determinedly, but falls a lot. “But his jump techniques are correct and has a good foundation to extend.” “A very flexible child.” These were all I heard. However, the moment I saw him dance I made up my mind. “I will support him.” I did not have absolute confidence like I did when I met Midori Ito, but I believed if he could polish his techniques and sense of music, he might turn into an all-round skater.

When I was at Nobeyama Camp, the three of Ryuju Hino, Keiji Tanaka and Yuzuru Hanyu were often put forward as targets of reinforcements. Although I haven’t the chance to keep an eye on all three’s improvements, I am very happy to see the them, all of the same age, continue progressing until now.

Offering Hanyu the “Three Choices”

Regarding the new training base abroad, I proposed three plans to Hanyu and his parents. First, I find it very important to offer skaters and their family multiple choices when it comes to moving to a new place. I have been sending many athletes to foreign clubs, and I profoundly realized from the experience that however good the coach is, it doesn’t guarantee a good outcome.

The major purpose of moving abroad was to learn skating in a better environment. But the fact was that an unfamiliar life was lying ahead. The skater’s personality and life-style, language abilities, whether he had family members who could support him closely, financial conditions ... were all factors only the skater himself and his family knew clearly. Unless all factors taken into consideration and decision made based on comprehensive evaluation, there would not be a good result.

One of the choices I proposed was Detroit Skating Club, where Coach Yuka Sato was based. The majority of great American skaters, including Jeremy Abbott, belonged to the club, and a benefit for Hanyu would be no language barrier with the coach. The second choice was Colorado Springs in the U.S. Coach Christine Haigler who teaches there is known for using computer programs to analyse jumps, and was coach of World champion Patrick Chan (Canada). The last of the three choices was the club where Hanyu is at now, the Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club in Canada where Brian coaches.

Why did Hanyu choose Toronto? Good facilities in the club are certainly important, but first and foremost is that the landscape of Toronto is the most friendly to Hanyu, who has suffered from asthma since a very young age. Colorado Springs is at a high altitude which is too much burden for his body and it is difficult to move without a car in Detroit. In order to cater to his changeable health conditions he needs to have his family living together, and since his family didn’t have a driver’s license at the time, Toronto, which has convenient transport and is safe at night was deemed as best.

Judging from his later success Toronto is a good choice, however, when I first heard he chose Toronto, I felt relief in another sense. I had lived in Toronto for several years in the past, so I was able to introduce to him people who knew where to find apartments convenient for Japanese, trainers who watch atheletes’ health on a daily basis and other trustworthy local helpers.

Even after being accepted, the process of the change of training base is not “complete”. Taking skaters’ daily life, which is the foundation of training, into consideration was the lesson I learnt from past experiences. “If I had another chance, I would do it like this.” I have been reflecting about it for a long time. I probably won’t be able to look at things from a skater’s point of view or make preparations like this had I been Minister of the Reinforcement Group, when I had to look after multiple skaters at the same time.

Cricket Club Helps Man Spread Wings Around the World

About one month after meeting with Brian, I brought Hanyu and his mother to Toronto. Because of the sudden change of base, Hanyu was visibly feeling lonely for having to leave his hometown Sendai and his former coach who had looked after him for a long time. I remember I encouraged him, “Keep growing in the new place, and create results. It will be the best repayment.”

After arriving in Toronto, the first place we visited was Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club, often called Cricket, where Brian had been waiting. Counting the time when I worked as Minister of the Reinforcement Group, I have visited the club numerous times. But opening the doors after such a long while, the thought came from the bottom of my heart was, “Ah, so fortunate this is the place where Hanyu’s gonna learn.” This place would not only provide him the skating techniques he needed, but also make him a person that would not be ashamed to spread his wings around the world. I had faith in it.

The Cricket Club took up six acres of land in the northern suburbs of Toronto. It is a high level membership sports club where not only skating and curling are practised, but also tennis, swimming, squash and so on. Since its foundation in 1827, elite athletes from around the world polish their skills here everyday, but its members are not limited to athletes. Residents nearby who have some money to spare join. People who would like to comfortably take advantage of the restaurants and bars after playing sports join as well. Such scenes can be witnessed at the Cricket Club. Sometimes, athletes forget they lose their strength over the long years of their careers, or how high a goal they set for themselves before they came to the club. However, when time passes quietly and smoothly at the Cricket Club, it naturally corrects one’s way of living.

I cannot describe how great Brian and his coaches are. In the figure skating branch of the Cricket Club, there are more than twenty coaches besides head coach Brian. Multiple coaches tend to one skater, each from a different perspective, and form a so-called “Team System.” Brian gathered a group of coaches who he thought was necessary for Hanyu, and they included Tracy Wilson (who shares the head coach’s job with Brian, mainly teaching skating skills), who can read from the tiny bits of change in the skater’s expression his current mental condition, Paige Aistrop (spins) and Ghislain Briand (jumps).

There are also three amazing choreographers. Jeffery Buttle, who choreographed the short program “Parisenne Walkways” that Hanyu skated in Sochi, David Wilson, choreographer of the free skate “Romeo and Juliet”, and Shae Lynn-Borne, choreographer of the free skate the year following Sochi, “Phantom of the Opera.” They all live in Toronto and keeps adjusting the details even after a program is completed.

Fortunately, there is also a great friendly rival. When a skater reaches the level of having to move abroad, it usually means he has become a model of skaters from his home country, therefore the chances for him to learn new things becomes thin. But at the Cricket Club, there is Javier Fernandez (Spain), a skater who had ready mastered the quadruple salchow. When human body tries to challenge something it has never experienced before, studying a completed version makes it much easier and shortens the time it takes. More importantly, having a companion who is aiming for the same height gives one enormous courage.

By the way, when I first made it clear to Brian “The skater I want you to coach is Yuzuru Hanyu”, he relied, “I understood. But I have to ask Javi first.” and did not answer clearly. I think Brian’s reply shows he cares about his students’ emotions. After all, it was only half a year ago when Javier left his home Spain and moved to a country so far away to join the Cricket Club. He and Hanyu were rivals competing for the same podium in international competitions and it was highly possible he wouldn’t feel happy about it. But to my surprise, it didn’t take long for Brian to give me a solid answer. He told me, when asked about it, the first thing Javier replied with a smile was, “I think it’s a great idea.”

Yes, all “men” in the Cricket Club are amazing. From the creation of programs to coping with actual competitions, there’s no end to the merits. Brian carefully studies each skater’s characteristics to sort out “how it should be”, and he will never force his skaters to do anything. Regarding Hanyu, Brian set the tune to base the training on the foundations Hanyu’s former coaches Tsutsuki and Nanami Abe set, so the general direction would be coincided, which reconciled Hanyu’s worry. I’m truly grateful for this.

It takes time for skaters to build trust in their coaches. It becomes even more complicated with the language barrier. Since they hadn’t known each other long enough, I thought as long as both of them were honest, misgivings and endurance shouldn’t be a problem. For example, Brian considered it necessary for Hanyu to rebuild his skating skills from the beginning in order to gain long-term progress, while Hanyu, whose emulation is times stronger than others, was anxious for improvement. I said to him, “Trust Brian. You’ll be OK.” I kept encouraging him with absolute confidence, and such confidence came right from the moment I saw Brian training his students.

Aiming for Japan’s First Repeat Olympic Gold

It has been almost six years since I sent Hanyu to Toronto. As is known to all, Hanyu has been working hard in the new world and won the first Japanese men’s singles gold medal at the 2014 Sochi Olympics. Now, right before the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics following Sochi, he is continuing his training in higher quality than ever before at the Cricket Club.

Since the competition is still not over, things I can talk about are limited, but counting from Albertville when Midori Ito competed, this is the eighth Olympic Games for me. And it is going to be an Olympics where I have to make ever better calculations and be extra cautious. There is only one reason for this: To support an athlete who had been on top of the Olympic podium once, is a brand new challenge for me.

It was right after he won the World Championships following the Sochi Olympics (Saitama) that Hanyu told me he wanted to participate in PyeongChang.

“I want to aim for the next Olympics.”

At first, I felt complicated about his words. On the one hand, I felt that even with the Olympic victory in hand, his motivation seemed solid and trustworthy. On the other hand, I knew in the coming four years, he would face even more difficult situations than when he was aiming for Sochi, mentally and physically.

When I thought about how I should keep supporting him, my heart told me I needed time to calm down. It was because during the 2013-2014 season, Hanyu had won all three titles of the Olympics, the World Championships and the Grand Prix Final. His speed of growth was astonishing. Once a man has tasted success, he gains the ability to form his own ideas and motivations to turn those ideas into practice. It has been twenty years since Alexi Yagudin last won all these three titles, judging from which, Hanyu has had enough momentum to be independent. He is aiming for a second Olympics. Then how long would experience of athletes who never won an Olympic title work? How long would my past experience, strict, sometimes even forceful, which was basically blindly aiming for victory work? It is very different from the time when the skater knew nothing about fear. Facing the big stage for a second time, I myself needed to think carefully about what I must do to continue.

Competing for another four years would be a big burden on Hanyu’s body, so I didn’t hesitate to suggest that he should take a year’s rest. After all, men are heading into the age of multiple types of quadruple jumps. A rigorous age.

“But I will regress if I rest, Shirota san.”

If the skater himself had such awareness ...

Battling for a repeat Olympic gold medal in PyeongChang will be a first in Japanese figure skating history. Then again, if the gold medalist himself decided to “accept” that battle, I had no choice but to stand beside him. I think it is a sense of vocation for a person who’s been watching figure skating on the scene for sixty years.

“Ballad No.1” and “SEIMEI”

Just as I imagined, the road to PyeongChang has been extremely hard. Until the 2016-2017 season ended, Hanyu has earned four straight Japan National titles and four straight Grand Prix Final title, but during these times, he experienced difficult situations that were more than unavoidable injuries, also accidents with other skaters and illnesses that were impossible to predicate. Looking back at his past achievements, I feel that every one of them can be defined as a miracle. When Brian writes me an email that starts by addressing me as “Noriko”, it means something is wrong with Hanyu; When he addresses me as “Mrs. Shirota”, it means everything is fine. I still need to prepare myself accordingly on opening emails from Brian. In addition, I have received a lot of advice on treatments from my doctor husband, especially when unexpected incidents happen, to whom I feel sincerely grateful.

After having overcome many obstacles in spring 2017, Hanyu, who has reclaimed the gold medal at the World Championships, revealed his wish to defend his Olympic title during the opening practice on the media day in August. The “opening practice” that takes place in summer every year is aimed to connect the skater with the mass media in an appropriate way. It is a lesson learned from the Midori Ito era. Publicly speaking about such a high goal requires enormous courage from the athlete. However, Hanyu not only did the necessary thinking, but also the physical and mental preparations for the speech, which included the confidence of being able to accomplish the remaining tasks. I believe it is one of his strongest points.

The programs he chose for the PyeongChang Olympics are short program, Chopin’s “Ballad No.1” choreographed by Jeffery Buttle, and free program “SEIMEI” choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne. These two programs broke Patrick Chan’s world record of 295.27 by a huge margin at 2015 NHK Trophy and earned 322.40. These were the programs that opened the 300-club of men’s figure skating. Shortly after, the combination earned again 110.95 for the short, 219.48 for the free and 330.43 for the total score, overtaking the scores given out at NHK Trophy. These two programs created the impression that Hanyu has been directing the development of the world of figure skating after capturing gold in Sochi.

Although there were voices about risks of repeating programs, I didn’t have any worries. The technical elements have been upgraded, and more importantly, Hanyu’s skating skills, the foundation of any other elements, are on a totally different level from Sochi. He already set a new world record at the first competition of the Olympic season, the Autumn Classics, therefore as long as he acts his potential at the Olympics, the scores will come. Actually, I think it is impossible for the judges to not give him the scores he deserves. Looking at a performance, the judges have to give out scores according to what he sees at the exact moment. I keep that in mind as a former judge myself.

What music should he choose for the Olympics? Hanyu started thinking about it after the 2016-2017 season ended. Despite the fact that he won the World Championships, he felt he had left things to improve in the short program, Prince’s “Let’s Go Crazy”, so he said to me, “I will do it perfectly next season!” I replied almost without thinking, “You are aiming to be the champion. Wouldn’t it be better to choose something worthy for a champion, a classic of classics?” “Like ballet, good pieces remain good no matter how many times they are performed.” The final decision was made by Hanyu himself. But I also received suggestions from ISU staff, “Hanyu has unbeatable techniques, so we want him to produce performances that could go down history. Noriko, you should go for the classics.” I believe we ought to prepare performances that only him can produce.

Nice: Until the Legendary Performance Was Born

Why “Ballad No.1” and “SEIMEI”?

“Ballad No.1”. I consider this program the fruition of the four years since the Sochi Olympics. It is a piano piece, which is the most difficult to skate to among classical music often used in figure skating. There is no storyline, no main character, no videos for reference. There is also nothing to say to help the performer. The result depends totally on the performer’s own understanding.

This is the third season from 2014-2015 for Hanyu to use this program. In addition to the upgraded jump layout, delicate steps like fingers hitting the keys, complicated spins that fascinate the audience are added as well to make the program more complete. Two seasons ago, he was at the stage where he could “play the melody with his body”, while now, I can say “the very existence of Hanyu is the music.” His already correct jump techniques and skating skills are once again purified by last year’s free program “Hope & Legacy” and exhibition number “Notte Stellata”, which makes it possible for him to create a performance as clear as notes of a piano.

On the other hand, “SEIMEI” is taken from the movie “Onmyoji” which was shown abroad, too. It was created after studying how the body moved to clown around in traditional Japanese art of No (能) and Kyogen (狂言), therefore more than suitable to be performed as a Japanese delegate at the Olympic Games. Upon the finishing of the program, everyone involved in the process had the joint thought that it was exactly the type of program created for the Olympics. I have confidence that Hanyu is the only person who can recreate the image of the main character, Onmyoji Abe no Seimei, who was a complicated figure that travels between the human society and the underworld, because he has the ability to control the entire space around him. Such an ability is like Abe no Seimei conjuring Kekai (結界) in Kyoto, to some degree above the field of skating and performance.

When I was thinking about this, a scene appeared in my mind. That was one year before Hanyu set for Toronto. I wanted him to advance to the next level, so I had my hand in the choreography of his 2011-2012 program. After deciding to choose the music from the movie “Romeo and Juliet”, I flew with Hanyu and his coach Nanami Abe to Okinawa. In my mind, choreography gives life to a performance, so I introduced them to two of my most trustworthy friends.

They were the ice dance gold medalist at Calgary Olympics and four-time World champion Natalia Bestemianova, and 1981 men’s Worlds bronze medalist and former European champion Igor Bobrin. I have known the couple since I first worked as a judge at an international competition in Saint Petersburg. “Natalia, there’s a Japanese skater I would like you to choreograph for.” I got into contact with the two and they happily flew to Japan from Russia.

That was some miraculous time. Igor had countless ideas like springs and Natalia added originality to his ideas and turned them into actual moves. People got attracted to the choreography at first sight, and the rich layout transformed the entire rink into a world of music. It could be seen from the refined program that they had done what they can to fulfill the task given. Excitement grew in my chest as I watched from aside. On the other hand, Hanyu looked serious standing between them. He showed no signs of wanting to leave even though the condition of the ice started to deteriorate. He followed their advice, correcting the details of the spins and steps which he didn’t used to pay a lot of attention to, and I could tell from the process that he began to understand the complexity and depth of music and became more concerned with performance.

Looking at Hanyu eagerly asking for guidance might have given the Natalia and Igor motivation in return as well. Romeo and Juliet is a about how a boy turned into a man, during which he was enchanted by some beauty when his heart secretly, sometimes violently shook. It may be destined that we should complete this program. Hanyu enjoying perfecting his performance reminded me of when I first met him at Nobeyama Camp, when I saw him dance.

“Yuzuru learns unbelievably fast.” “He will sure be an amazing skater one day.” Just like what Natalia and Igor said before they left, Hanyu won the bronze medal with this program at his World Championships debut in the spring of the following year. It was the moment when the door to the world opened. He devoted to “Romeo and Juliet” his passion towards figure skating, and all his love for his devastated hometown Sendai. He got his edge caught in the ice and fell around the middle of the program but immediately climbed up and nailed all the jumps, which simply overlapped with the image of the young Romeo who was struck by his love for Juliet and driven by overflowing passion. Some praised he was possessed by the main character, but whenever I rewatch that amazing performance, I realize the talent he exhibited acting Phantom in “Phantom of the Opera” and Abe no Seimei in “SEIMEI” was truly awaken during this period in Nice.

Postscript: What Lies Ahead of Japan Figure Skating History

Using Midori Ito’s silver medal as a start, I have spent 25 years helping Japanese skaters reach for Olympic gold. The Olympic Games are a big competition that only happens every four years. Every four years. If one wants to achieve victory on this big stage, besides actual abilities, luck is also necessary. How can one make use of that luck? It requires the maximum amount of hard work to the extent that he can claim “I’ll let God decide.” Those are not hard work of recklessness, but accumulation of correct daily training.

During the sixty years of my career, I have one thought about figure skating that has never changed. And that is, the things an athlete needs for battle are: A certain degree of excitement, some fear, and the will to face the challenge.

Looking back, the skater is alone when he is on the ice. When he steps into the rink and the door closes behind him, the only thing left waiting for him is loneliness. However, I have never heard any word alike from Hanyu. Not only once.

The strength to believe in himself, the spirit to always aiming for a higher place no matter how much he’s achieved, come from the right way in which he continues his daily routine of hard work. The “right way” here is based on the struggles of all skaters who wrote Japan’s figure skating history, and on the experience of all the failed trials of the people who support him.

The next challenge for Yuzuru Hanyu, who is standing ahead of history, is something that will open a new chapter in the future and is something only heaven can predict. But now, I first feel gratitude for the 25 years I spent to welcome this moment of a repeat Olympic gold medal, and for all the people who made it a possibility. I have come a long way with such emotions and it is exactly why I have faith in Yuzuru Hanyu’s victory.

Until February 16th, 2018, there hasn’t been a single second that he lost the right way. From this point of view, maybe it is fair to say that the Olympic Games are nothing special for Hanyu. May he stand in the centre of the PyeongChang rink with his spirit. This is the only wish I have from the bottom of my heart now.

Oh gawd Ive been wanting to read about his tranfering process to Team cricket for the longest time.Thank you for the translation !

Btw this part 

'and since his family didn’t have a driver’s license at the time '

😶 sorry if i sound silly to ask this but is it common for most Japanese not having driver license? Not even papa Hanyu and Saya ? 

Also does it mean they were not supported financially (coaching fees,living expenses) on this?😮

Thank you so, so much for this translation! This is fascinating. So interesting to learn more about that transfer process! Makes me smile (and tear up a bit) to think of that initial meeting with 17 yr old Yuzu and Brian.