Guess the New Programs! (and win nothing if you do)

23 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

I think Yuzu should do two new programs next season. If he does keep a program, I'd prefer him to keep Otonal. Even though his interpretation of Origin was great, I think it doesn't suit him that well. But maybe that's just my feeling because we never saw Origin at its full potential and Yuzu performing in top form.

I do love Haru Yo Koi, though. It's just so perfect for him. And I'd love for Yuzu to keep that next season.

I think Yuzu should try out new styles of music. I've been thinking for a while that Exogenesis Symphony Part 3 by Muse would be awesome for him. I'm sure he'd turn it into an absolute masterpiece. Even watching him practising to Muse in this edit is mesmerizing.

I've also been envisioning Yuzu skating to empire of Angels. It's so dramatic and utterly epic. Yuzu would also create a msterpiece with his music.

Exogenisis is I guess not a opinion he would choose next season because evgenia new SP has that music

And now for something completely different: 

How about a sultry, seductive Yuzu? Are we ready for that? 

I could totally see him doing this as a SP, but in order for him to get the right attitude going, I think he'd need Kurt Browning on the choreo. This is the kind of song Kurt does in his sleep. Maybe a Kurt/Jeff collab? 

11 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Nah I doubt anyone can ever do anything better than when he does it. I personally want him to ditch most of his signature moves because I want to see different things from him and I am sure his team and he are capable of this. 

This is the way I feel.  I wouldn't want him to abandon them completely, maybe just reduce it down to 1. But I also think that we've seen glimpses of a lot of things that we don't get to see in programs because of these signature moves and I feel like it might be hurting him because people have a tendency to compare him to himself rather than other skaters.

I have no guesses about his programs next year other than I'm sure it will be Shae and Jeff for competition and probably Wilson for the ex but I was thinking recently that I never liked Parisian Walkways until I saw it at Ciontu.  I would like to see him try a more sultry style programs with his current levels of interpretation.   For his other program, something darker and edgy.  I'd like to continue to see strong, dynamic Yuzu next year.  

I kind of want to see him drop Shae as well.  I feel like Jeffrey has been the more innovative choreographer for him.  I'm not sure how much of the relying on signature moves is Shae and how much of it Yuzu, but I would like to see him try someone fresh, if only for just 1 season.  I've been curious how a Tarasova program might look on him.

29 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

How about a sultry, seductive Yuzu? Are we ready for that? 

I could totally see him doing this as a SP, but in order for him to get the right attitude going, I think he'd need Kurt Browning on the choreo. This is the kind of song Kurt does in his sleep. Maybe a Kurt/Jeff collab? 

Woops, replied before I read the whole thread.  I'm on board with seductive but I think this particular song is too light and flirty for Yuzu - when I heard it, I immediately thought of Javi.

I don't know a lot of programs by Kurt, but in the few that I remember, my problem with Kurt as a choreographer is that I feel like he tries to turn skaters into him and I think he choreographed one of Yuzu's worst programs.  He's great for a skater that already has the style that he likes to makes but I wouldn't use him to create anything special to the skater.

18 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Woops, replied before I read the whole thread.  I'm on board with seductive but I think this particular song is too light and flirty for Yuzu - when I heard it, I immediately thought of Javi.

I don't know a lot of programs by Kurt, but in the few that I remember, my problem with Kurt as a choreographer is that I feel like he tries to turn skaters into him and I think he choreographed one of Yuzu's worst programs.  He's great for a skater that already has the style that he likes to makes but I wouldn't use him to create anything special to the skater.

Yes, Kurt is a bit that way, but his specialty is songs like these, and at this point I think Yuzu would be pretty comfortable speaking up for himself and getting his own influence in.  Pop Jeff in the mix and I think the three of them could make something really unique. 

Also, I happen to like HILY. It's not like Yuzu can't do flirty, after all. 

I'm not that fond of Kurt as a commentator. He has strong opinions and tends to like only a certain style on a skater. No wonder he always emphasizes that Yuzu has the rockstar feel whenever Yuzu does a fun and upbeat program because thats all he cares about. And that really translates how he also is as a choreographer. HILY is one of those ex I dont really watch more than twice, even tho Yuzu could pull off due to his performance ability and natural charisma. But there was a short fb livestream during the grandprix series this season from CBC and iirc Kurt was answering one of the questions regarding how Yuzu often does  similar programs. Then he was sharing how he used to choreograph for Yuzu and he asked Yuzu to find a jean to stick his hands in his pockets but Yuzu was too skinny...and something along the lines of Yuzu being interesting. Idk maybe I am not getting his remarks but it sounded like Yuzu couldnt pull off what Kurt intended for the program. I just don't really want Yuzu to collab with him.

I still think Shae and Jeff have been the best choreographers for Yuzu throughout his entire career and if they havent flopped at anything drastically, I'd say keep them. Yuzu seems to trust his team a lot be it with TCC or his own medical team from Japan. I feel like he works well with them and they know the kind of skater he is so they respect his opinions. I feel like at this point, they give him a draft and then he goes and gives his opinions and they proofread it to fit his vision. Then through each competition, they work together to master it. That is the kind of team I think would work for Yuzu. Imagine Yuzu getting Danil as his choreographer lol and a lot of choreographers like DW and Kurt are pretty opinionated.

and if Yuzu were to keep Shae and Jeff, I hope he would keep them until Beijing. There is no more room for Yuzu to experiment at this point since he is already focusing on upping the tech. Dont be like Zhenya of this season and tried so many new things and lost consistency. Of course the problem with Zhenya's consistency went beyond this but I just dont want it to happen to Yuzu. But if Yuzu ever thought of changing choreographer, do it next season so he gets a couple of seasons to adapt. I know Yuzu is an adapter but I just think that it might give off an impression that this season didnt work out for him and he is desperately looking for innovation, when in fact, really if he didnt injure himself or lost Worlds due to a lot bad judging, we wouldnt have thought of this option.

If he chooses to experiment with new choreographers, I would like him to go back to the ones who did RJ 1.0. I think Nanami Abe,Natalia Bestemianova,Igor Bobrin. I really thought they did a great job with this program eventho it wasnt super technically brilliant back then. Or try Tom Dickson who did a really good job with Beautiful Storm. I think his style would suit Yuzu's. 

On 4/18/2019 at 7:58 AM, makebelieveup said:

try Tom Dickson who did a really good job with Beautiful Storm. I think his style would suit Yuzu's. 

Interesting thought. I did like Beautiful Storm. 

And if I recall correctly, both Shae and Jeff have said in interviews that Yuzu contributes just as much to the choreo as they do. It's not a question of choreographers handing him a program to do anymore. It's a question of finding someone who can work with his vision. 

I’m sure it’s been done but I’d like Yuzuru to do ‘Perfect Day’ - Lou Reid version - “you’re going to reap what you sow “ good message to the powers that be ..

I'm always for smth. new and Otonal was perfect at CoR, Origin was perfect in it's own way in Saitama and I feel like they were good together, will be strange to let go of one and stay with other (will be little sad to see Origin costume and hair go though).

I really want to see some powerful classic on Yuzu like Rachmaninov (judges and audience likes classic)) 0:)

But in reality I have no clue what Yuzu will choose :D and I'm totally OK with it, as long as he's committed to his choices it will be gorgeous programmes anyway. It might be smth. from TAT's disk :lol:

Never Trust Yuzu, therefore this potential set list is as possible as anything else:

SP: Crazy in Love by Beyonce (a celebratory ode to his reborn passion for the sport after a rollercoaster post-Olympic year of triumph and disappointment)

FP: If I Were A Boy by Beyonce (a rich and complex meditation on assumption, stereotyping, and gender presentation in figure skating)

EX: Single Ladies by Beyonce (an ironic wink at invasive tabloid speculation on the romantic lives of athlete-celebrities)

How about Turandot bc of Shizuka and GPF? :D 

But that would be using this season’s template for next and I don’t really think Yuzu’s in the same head space. I have no idea what he’ll do and I’ll probably hate it on principle until I see him skating to it and then it’ll be over for me. (I really HATED the Otonal music piece last summer. I love that program and the music SO MUCH now.)

I would like Yuzu to minimize his use of signature moves as well, but didn't he say he includes them because people expect them in Hanyu programs? I would at least mix them up in terms of placement so we don't always see an ina bauer towards the end in the choreo seq etc.. I mean, we always know what is coming. Or even do the bauer without the layback... I actually preferred Javi's use of the ina bauer one season. He can't be uber creative when he has to use certain elements *because he always has*....  I loved ACI Origin because he used some leaps which then got dropped later... I don't mean to pick on this move, but it is one definite sig move we all know...

As for music... he needs a cool, sophisticated kind of sp this year... very smooth. He has to change it up a bit. Personally, I really dislike most jazz music, but something in that vein would be suitable.... And Jeff for choreo, all the way. This is a match made in heaven, in my mind. My favourite Yuzu programs are usually his shorts.  think he should ask Jeff to find the music...

For free program,  it will probably be nothing too risky.... and I actually have no ideas at present....just wish the choreo is a little different/ less predictable than his other free programs.