Translation Requests

Hydroblade

Hello! This thread is request translations for tweets, articles, videos and other stuff that you might find :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

Provide a link, video, or clear photo or scan of the source and remember that translators do this for free!

Thank you :10742289:

Dear translators,

I found two videos regarding the origins of the "Hanyu / Habu" surname! Would be extremely grateful if anyone can translate these. 

"Feather" theory

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av10923482/ 

"Red clay" theory

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av24194115 

I would like to write a tumblr article on this, but I am still confused about some parts. I understand Chinese, and from the "Feather" theory as summarised by weibo users, it seems that the "Habu" surname took after the name of a local bay? My main question is how did it end up with the kanji 羽生. Same with the "Red clay" theory - is it just coincidence that the two areas both decided to use the kanji 羽生? 

Thank you so much. 

20 hours ago, Salior said:

Dear translators,

I found two videos regarding the origins of the "Hanyu / Habu" surname! Would be extremely grateful if anyone can translate these. 

"Feather" theory

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av10923482/ 

"Red clay" theory

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av24194115 

I would like to write a tumblr article on this, but I am still confused about some parts. I understand Chinese, and from the "Feather" theory as summarised by weibo users, it seems that the "Habu" surname took after the name of a local bay? My main question is how did it end up with the kanji 羽生. Same with the "Red clay" theory - is it just coincidence that the two areas both decided to use the kanji 羽生? 

Thank you so much. 

It's more like -- there are various locations with the 羽生 name, and people took on the surname from there. The pronunciation differs depending on which region of Japan you're in, but the origin of the name itself comes from "hani" (red clay). The first video goes into this and explains with some examples of other surnames that take from local areas - i.e. Takahashi, Yamaguchi, Mura, Watanabe. 
yuzusorbet summarized a small piece of the second video here and I could have sworn someone translated more of this, but I can't find it. The short answer is "no" it's not a coincidence. The second video you link mentions that line of thinking exactly. That the areas are so far apart that you would think there's no relation to the names despite being spelled the same, "but that's not the case. There's actually a deep connection between the names." (spoiler: it's because haniwa were important, and the places where you could get the clay were named はにうhaniu/はにふhanifu "red clay origin")

Those videos say the same thing as far as origin, so it's not like there's a "red clay" theory or a "feather" theory. It simply comes from "hani" (red clay) that's used to make haniwa (these awesome clay funerary statues/dolls from the Kofun period - which predates the Japanese writing system) and the feather kanji was a later shift.
The first video was from 2017 and follows the route in detail that the pronunciation "Hanyuu" took. "埴が生まれる土地hani ga umareru tochi - the region where red clay originates(is born)" was abbreviated into one single word "Hanyuu" when spoken. 
("埴hani" + "生u" from "生まれるumareru" = 埴生 haniu which would mean "red clay origin". When you place the two syllables ni+u together, they tend to merge into a "nyu" sound, and language tends to follow the easiest pronunciation path, so "nyu" becomes the reading. The elongated "u" is to make it easier to hear.)
Then the program tries to find where it was that the feather kanji got switched - they end up in a shrine. "一説にはここ羽生(地区)は朝廷に羽毛を献上した - One theory is that the Hanyuu(location) here presented plumage to the imperial court", so "羽が生むと書いて羽生と言う地名になった - it was written 'where feathers originate from' and the place was called Hanyuu"---- BASICALLY, to clarify all this: someone at the imperial court assigned the kanji "羽feather" for the "ha," which became the generally accepted way to write the name. So even though originally the surname was taken from places with red clay, I guess people accepted their surname as written by officials, and the "hani" meaning was forgotten. Anyway, this little portion ends with the narrator noting that the this route(ending with "the place plumage is born/feather origin") fits Yuzu spot-on.
The program then goes on to explore where the reading "Habu" came from - it traveled to the Kyuushuu area when a lord landed there by sea, that bay area was given the name, and people took on the name(and pronunciation) from there.

The second video is from 2018 and has a more comprehensive map of where exactly the names are concentrated,  summarizes the points from the first program, and briefly covers the origin of the "Habu" pronunciation (mentions the lord and the bay again). Then it explores through another route where the name "羽生habu" originated from - and it leads again to the original "hani" and "haniwa" explanation. "埴が生まれるという意味hani ga umareru to iu imi - it means where hani is born" but this time the shinto priest from that shrine says that the pronunciation for 埴生 was "hanifu" and for ease of pronunciation it became "habu." The program goes on to cover Hanyuu's name -- going to Miyagi prefecture, they ask an expert in this and she confirms the "hani" story. Another expert talks about haniwa - red clay statues - and that they were mysterious objects used in kofun (burial sites). Back in the studio there's a guy who mentions how places tend to take on names based on their purpose - he uses Haneda airport as an example.

The videos are a bit long(for me) and there are quite a few people that are interviewed, so it'll take a while to do a full line-by-line translation. I'm halfway through making a summary of the first video with some portions directly translated and some portions paraphrased, but before I go further I wanted to see if anyone else has picked this up already. If no one has, I could try my hand at summarizing/translating this in full, but if someone has picked this up already, then I'll leave it like this and translate the rest on my own to get some vocab.
I kind of really like haniwa and maaaay have bought a haniwa bookmark when I first visited the Tokyo National Museum. I'm kind of a nerd.

Ah I see! Thank you, that clarifies a lot T^T Interesting comment on the red clays! Maybe the reason for the divergence just boils down to the "haniu" vs "hanifu" pronunciation. 

Initially I couldn't figure out where the "羽“ from Habu came from, thought it's unlikely for the theory provided by the Miyagi Hanyuten shrine to apply to the islands. Seems like the lord just made the kanji up after hearing the pronunciation Habu lol. Coincidentally, the islands are also home to venomous snakes called "habu", but maybe the snakes were called habu after the place. 

I got the second link from yuzusorbet too, but for the first 2017 video I had to do a lot of digging and copy+pasting before I found the name of the show from Japanese articles haha... didn't come across any translations / potential translations so far. If the translation goes through I'm willing to sub the videos! I think it's a fun show to watch, would be a great one to share. 

*unrelated*

Not knowing Japanese was such a pain :( , was trying to research on the rumours that Yuzuru's family crest 丸に三つ盛亀甲花菱 could indicate his heritage as a member of the Azai branch family... Ended up getting more confused as it seems that the crest was commonly used by merchants in the Edo period? And that Nikaido clan uses exactly the same crest as Azai clan where both are descended from the same clan Fujiwara, though Nikaido clan's ancestors seemed to be based on the far south of Japan at Kagoshima whereas Azai came from Hokke (northern branch)? AND that Azai Nagamasa's father might've used a different family crest, and since Nagamasa's brothers and his own sons were wiped out, if his uncles indeed used different family crests it is unlikely for an Azai branch clan using Nagamasa's family crest to arise? LOL i'm so dead. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I thought I could try my luck here as well :)

Is there a translation of this old interview with Yuzu, Javi and Nam anywhere on the internet?

The original text has been posted on twitter a while ago and can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/yc5dh6v7

Or maybe if someone would be willing to translate it, I'd be eternally grateful :sadPooh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I made one MAD for Yuzuru Hanyu with lots of his words, but I am not sure whether my English subtitles are all perfect and proper.

So is there any English native speaker who also knows Japanese? I would be very grateful if you can correct or remake my translation.:dancingpooh:Just let more people know how kind-hearted and romantic this angel is.

The video is there: 

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Hello, would someone kindly consider translating...this is a radio interview with Yuzu ..he sounds as if he is having a good time and sharing a lot of information:

I've found a site where the entire interview was made into a transcript but when I copied, it became a 12 page long Word document...:13877886:So when I finish my other assignment of English to Japanese translation (the deadline is 11th Dec - I'm not a professional btw), I will try tackle this one. It may take a while to complete though...:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 7:36 AM, Dreamer said:

Hello, would someone kindly consider translating...this is a radio interview with Yuzu ..he sounds as if he is having a good time and sharing a lot of information:

On 12/4/2018 at 12:29 AM, BWOZWaltz said:

I've found a site where the entire interview was made into a transcript but when I copied, it became a 12 page long Word document...:13877886:So when I finish my other assignment of English to Japanese translation (the deadline is 11th Dec - I'm not a professional btw), I will try tackle this one. It may take a while to complete though...:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

I have finally finished the translation of this radio interview. I think I'll post it to Misc Translations Compilation thread.

It is 9 pages long in Word document format so not sure how long the whole post will be...and it will take some time to finish posting it so bear with me...

• 2 weeks later...

I found this uncut interview post PC Oly: does anyone know if the Japanese part has been translated already?

If not, would anyone kindly consider to translate ?  

Thank you in advance to one and all translators who have helped us to understand and to appreciate Yuzuru, the man, the skater, and the living legend!