Our Server

yuzuangel

Hi everyone!

So it's almost been a year since Planet Hanyu was born (time passes so fast... :tumblr_inline_mm2wbbdJC51qz4rgp:). At the beginning, we went with a year of the best hosting plan on the current server we're using, and it cost $823.60 for the first year, which was paid for by donations (thank you <3). We also paid $264 for a LiteSpeed license to make the site faster. (And then there were other fees like getting the forum license.) 

When we signed up for hosting, we got a 34% newcomer discount. Our server provider were nice and said we could keep the discount if we sign up for 2 more years.

If we stay with our current plan, two years will cost $2399.76 USD -> $1583.84 after discount.

If we go one step lower, two years will cost $1679.76 USD -> $1108.64 after discount.

Currently we have just about enough money in donations for the second plan and not the first. AFAIK we didn't have many issues with the speed of the site, even during the Olympics, which is super awesome, which makes us think we might have gone overkill in paying for the fastest server.

So, we're thinking of going with one step lower and doing without the LiteSpeed license. We can always upgrade and/or add the LiteSpeed back if we need it anytime.

We will renew our server on June 10, 2018!

Thank you all for making this place possible :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp: And please let us know if you had issues with the site being slow and/or think we should go with something different. We won't pay for the service just yet, just letting everyone know the plan!

• 2 months later...

tbh rn for me it works better than before :laughing: In the last month the Planet sometimes buffered really a lot, but now it works fine (I don't think it was my PC, all other sites worked fine, I only had troubles with the planet)

I hope it will keep working like this and thank you for your work!:10742289:

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, now that we had our first competition, it would be awesome if you guys could mention some of your experiences with the site? From what I heard, it was completely down before the SP, but then was up during the SP and the following days but very slow? It would help us decide to upgrade our server, add LiteSpeed, etc. for the next competition.

Hy there! The threads (Men FP ACI  and Fluff and in between) were very slow during Men FP and Yuzuru Chat one was completely dead. I have to admit I was quite in  a panic for that, thank God it worked out fine lately! Anyways, thank you admins and mods for everything!

It got laggier the  closer it came to Yuzuru’s SP and crashed as he was getting on the ice.  I got distracted by the skating and then losing the stream just as he took up the ending pose - by the time I had that back and was trying to find out from the planet what the score had been it was very slow for a bit while everyone reacted.

The FP was also very slow and I stopped trying to join in the chat because I was constantly lagging 5/10 posts behind, even with Hydros chatroom taking some of the pressure off.

Mainly the same experience as those who have commented before. It appeared offline for short periods of time for me before Yuzu got on the ice for SP, and it was laggy for about 10-15 minutes before each appearance.

It also crashed badly just after Ted's mention of the planet, but it got back up really quickly. Probably less than a minute. 

When I say it was down or crashed I mean the page offline and the service that keeps an offline copy coming up. With green buttons. 

Adding to the above, posting was also very slow. After clicking submit I had to wait for more than a minute for the page to load again and if you reload the page the post appears twice. It took so long that I decided not to post anything at all during and after the FP.

Though I do have a very slow internet connection so this might be a problem not many people experienced :shrug: 

6 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Adding to the above, posting was also very slow. After clicking submit I had to wait for more than a minute for the page to load again and if you reload the page the post appears twice. It took so long that I decided not to post anything at all during and after the FP.

Though I do have a very slow internet connection so this might be a problem not many people experienced :shrug: 

I had the same problem with posting.

Same experience. Lost the planet completely for several terrifying minutes just before SP and was really laggy during the SP; I think about 3 of my submissions actually went lost. The lag problem continued during the FS, but I checked out during the last group, so I didn't know what happened then.

Do you still need feedback? Very much the same, I was only using my phone both days so wasn't here during his SP/FS but when I checked in right before & after SP I saw the green & white notice. Didn't try to post much immediately after either to avoid duplicates, because new reply notices seemed delayed. I was at work for SP, not for FS so probably not a fair comparison, but it seemed generally slower for FS.