Team China

46 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

almost makes me wish that boyang will take a leaf out of evgenia's book and change his FS...

go back to spiderman SP with upgraded steps/choreo with improved skating skills

extend crouching tiger SP to a LP and flesh it out with music from the rest of crouching tiger soundtrack so that the music will flow and have change in rhythm and pace

flesh out the program with more choreo, etc.

that way all the spidey SP fans are happy and we all will have a better LP (his crouching tiger program is actually pretty good ... probably work even better as a LP than SP)

anything but the mess that is the current planets/star wars FS...

*sigh*  of course this is just random musings from a random online person so who cares right...?

Boyang's new SP is a good program - I'm not saying that Spiderman wasn't but Crouching Tiger is a more serious, suited program for Oly season, IMO!

His LP is the real problem ... he could very well go back to his last season LP, La Strada, which was a very nice put together program in terms of choreo and music cuts, it really suited Boyang and the public and judges responded good to it ... anything but that nonsensical mess of a LP he has right now ... 

34 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

oh i definitely agree - i LOVE the crouching tiger program!  i think it's the best program boyang has done so far, which is why i hope it would take over the star wars FS instead!  the crouching tiger program is more mature and has room for artistic interpretation and storytelling.  i've said this many times before but i really like this crouching tiger SP.  the music is good and the choreo is good.  all boyang needs to do is hit all the right notes with his movements and perform it clean.

the star wars FS is terrible and i can't believe the same choreographer as nathan's LP did boyang's LP!  such a HUGE difference in quality!  from music to choreo to everything!  WTF!!!  no wonder everyone's saying the choreographer is a saboteur because WTF why is boyang's FS (which counts for way more points than the SP) so shit while nathan's FS is so much better?  either that or she just can't give a fuck about boyang...  i see so many reports of how much time and effort lori took to choose music and choreo for "mao's last dancer" for nathan, and then i see this nonsensical mess with star wars FS ... what else am i supposed to think?  like WTF she's getting paid BIG $$$ for a team package deal for the choreo and her choreo for boyang's FS is even worse than C grade choreographers...  seriously the chinese fed is also to blame too cuz FFS it's not like they can't afford to try other choreographers.

la strada was OK but had a lot of "emptiness" - there's not as much substance in it which is why i don't think it's a very good FS (but still MANY TIMES better than the star wars FS because at least la strada had decent music and the choreo actually goes with the music).  the star wars FS is a MESS.  like WTF you don't fuck with legendary/famous sagas like star wars (also with award winning score from the master composer john williams) for an olympic season (with the most audience and hype) FS!  the star wars FS had the worst choice of music arrangement and the choreo doesn't even go with the music!  there's no coherence and i can watch the entire FS with the music muted and it won't make a difference.

look at the famous FS of the past olympics, like yagudin's olympic programs "winter" and "man in the iron mask" - from music to choreo to storytelling, they are awesome programs!  not even the best skater can perform well if they get shit programs to work with!  this is why good programs are so important.  see how much care yuzu takes with his music choices and program choreo - not even a skater of yuzu's caliber can perform well if he didn't have brilliant programs like seimei / chopin / lgc / h&l / etc. to work with!  not even the best chef can cook a tasty meal if they have shitty ingredients!

yeah i know i'm ranting but i believe in fair competition.  it's one thing for a skater to screw up in the stress of competition but another thing for a skater to be given shitty programs to work with so that not even their best efforts will be as good as someone else's good program (even if they don't skate as clean)

You are so right in everything you wrote! I really hope he will let go his actual lp and do something else or even go back to La Strada if the time is too short for something new ... look at Evgenia, she did it, and Karen Chen abandoned Carmen for something she felt that was right for her... poor Boyang , with that shitty choreo ... and such a shame abt the music - look at Satton's Star Wars ... I mean, totally something else ... I can't wait for Jun Hwan's Star Wars bc after what I've seen in his first outing I'm not sold out yet ... but he was injured then and who knows ...

I think it's very beneficial sometimes to have different choreographers for free and SP - variety is good and if you always work with one person it's possible to get stale.  Also one size doesn't fit all - I wish they would try a few different people instead of relying on one person.  I'm glad EM is using Anna Karenina for the same reason - it's good to switch it around a bit and try some different people, especially when you're young.  It would be amazing but unlikely to find the perfect choreographer at the first time of trying as Y did with Jeff, and even then he used someone else for the FP and after trying out DW eventually found SB.  I know JF sticking with DW makes his work a bit formulaic - I don't know whether that's a comfort zone after a less than stellar junior career, or DWs style, or that he simply can't do anything else but it would be nice to see something different occasionally.  And those are carefully put together programmes - SW is just a mess. 

Sadly, while I share in all the above posters' outrage, I don't see Boyang changing his FS at the last minute... that would be a very non-Chinese-Fed-and-athlete thing to do and he doesn't strike me as the type.

I was also just showing my family Bridge Over Troubled Waters today and it caused me a fresh amount of anguish thinking about how they're doing bloody Turandot instead of that exquisite piece. Lori really phoned in on the Chinese skaters' choreo and music.... >______>

19 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Sadly, while I share in all the above posters' outrage, I don't see Boyang changing his FS at the last minute... that would be a very non-Chinese-Fed-and-athlete thing to do and he doesn't strike me as the type.

I was also just showing my family Bridge Over Troubled Waters today and it caused me a fresh amount of anguish thinking about how they're doing bloody Turandot instead of that exquisite piece. Lori really phoned in on the Chinese skaters' choreo and music.... >______>

Lori has always been sort of hit or miss. When she's inspired the choreography is outstanding (Mao's 2016-17 Ritual Fire Dance SP/FS, Caro's Ave Maria, Kwan's East of Eden, Nathan's Mao's Last Dancer - without all the quads /LOL/). When she's not... it's very meh and recycled moves. I think she used her inspiration quota for Boyang on the Crouching Tiger SP.

29 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

i wish i could scream my outrage over at weibo where chinese fans can actually see it

and then hopefully they can message the chinese team

but alas i don't have weibo so i can't properly express my outrage in the right channels...  :sadPooh:

Can you make one?? lol It's free isn't it? I would make a Weibo because Chinese fandom is WILD af but my written Chinese is too basic to be able to deal with the flood of info on Chinese social media. I need one of those programs that reads you the page out loud.  

It makes no sense to stick to one choreographer for the entire team but....... eh. It's the Chinese Fed. They like to have things uniform and equal and 'efficient' =___=;; I don't doubt having to choreograph for SO MANY teams in a concentrated block of time would affect Lori's creativity as well (assuming that's what she did). It's shitty but like...what can we do at this stage tbh