Team China

On 2/11/2019 at 4:59 AM, Sombreuil said:

Coming late after watching the pairs on my return home.  Just soooo grateful to see S/H back - do you think we cherish the ones who get injured more because we get afraid we won’t see them again?  I know everyone rates the Empress but Han Cong is my absolute favourite male pairs skater - quite possibly ever -I love that they are a proportionate couple instead of a big bloke with a little girl, and they are just so stylish .  I like P/ J too, but S/H are in a class of their own.  Really hope they can both stay healthy.  Reminds me of Yuzu at PC - return after injury without enough prep....

I LOVE their LP, at least the first half of it for now. There are moments of choreographic wonder there, like the death spiral (which naturally starts slowing down towards the end) being used to highlight the music as it comes slowing down to a halt. One of my main complaints with P/C's choreography to the the first section of S/H's music here was that (probably due to the requirements of ID), the ebb and flow was interpreted more through their edges, when the exchange of lead-follow would have really made the concept shine... S/H don't change the way they lead-follow, but they use changes of direction to highlight this ebb and flow at points. It's an incredible effect.

13 minutes ago, axelnojutsu said:

what I'm getting from this is Boyang's jumps are art comparable to van gogh and mura is an intellectual

I'm glad someone appreciates Classic Chinese technique, then. But what I gather is that this is some promotion for worlds? Although your guess about why he's comparable to Van Gogh is about as good as I could ever come up with without knowing Japanese.

• 2 weeks later...

https://goldenskate.com/2019/02/chinas-sui-and-han-we-see-our-shortcomings/

All the high fives to Lori Nichol for this:

“It was also frustrating because as we took our minds outside of the box, we found many amazing ideas/movements etc and then realized that  “amazing” wasn’t going to earn any points and “amazing” might be against the rules,” Nichol pointed out. “I truly understand the reason for and respect rules, yet at the top in all disciplines, I see mind-blowing skating that will never be seen. Often, in a working session when it happens, I ask the skater(s) to do it again and enjoy it for what it is and then we find a way to let it go and move on. I’d like to say these things can then be done in show programs, but the reality is skaters are so incredibly busy all day training that these difficult movements and concepts would require time that we just won’t have.”

The skaters do indeed want to use this as a creative opportunity, just a pity that the rules are so restrictive.

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Han Yan's 3A is back. The height and distance is amazing.

His kick through is amazing! It gives him such a delay. It looks like he doesn't really start rotating until after one third of the way? Soo much height

It's good to know that he's enjoying competitions more than he did earlier in the season. I hope he will do well at Worlds, too.

I was wondering about the 4S at 4CC because he said he'd include four quads but here he explained that he decided to take out the jump just five minutes before the skate because he fell on it during the warm-up.