Team China

47 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Is Team Beijing the one headed by Pang/Tong?

Nope, team beijing is not Pang/Tong, sorry for the mistake earlier. I am having trouble finding info on who heads that team. Pang/Tong I think are the ones heading Nats Team 2.

@xeyra To answer your question

Spoiler

There is a lot of speculation over what exactly happened, especially since in this interview he said the change to him happened after he returned from Canada.

Furthermore, someone at Helsinki after the SP at the interview, asked if he is going to train overseas, and his reply both then, and even in the article, is that it's not up to him to explain and decide. Which at least in the Chinese FS baidu bars, some speculation is that there was a feud or some other thing that pushed it so he had to decide between his coaches and training overseas (maybe Brian's insistance of no additional cooks in the kitchen was the straw?). Ultimately he ended up choosing his coaches, but some in China also suspect that he may have been pushed in that direction too. Even before he went to canada, he had posts where he said "last time on central street" in his hometown-which made some FS fans suspect he was supposed to go to overseas on a more permanent basis (this photo with that line also showed up before any news broke out about him and Orser). But the current speculation is that after the "BOrser Training Gate" event, his relations with the national team may have soured for at least the near term.

23 hours ago, LadyLou said:

sorry, what does it mean he isn't training with Team China? What's the difference with team Beijing?

I don't understand everything either, but there is the national team = Team China. This one is headed by Shen/Zhao and is the 'normal' team good skaters are part of. Sui/Han, Yu/Zhang, Peng/Jin, Boyang, Zijun, Xiangning Li, Han Yan, Liu/Wang all were part of Team China. 

At the start of this season, another team got funding: Team Beijing. According to this tweet, this one is headed by Pang/Tong: 

According to the press release, the goal of this team is to give funding and training opportunities to their skaters even though the national team don't allow them/ don't want to fund them. They also may be considered for spots for the next olympics. This is totally new, as before, you had to be part of the national team to compete internationally. 

Seeing, how a lot of skaters, who were excluded from the national team are part of team Pang/Tong (Han yan gets funded there, Zijun did some coaching work there I think, Wang/Wang refused to split, therefore weren't included in the national team), I think this group is more to give them a chance to train and compete again. 

At the start of this season, Boyang was announced to be part of Team China (national team under Shen/Zhao). I know that after the coach-fiasco he switched rinks. I always assumed, that he just went back to his hometown rink where he trained before the Olympic season, but apparently this is only half-correct. I haven't heard of any news that claim that he got excluded by the national team, so I'm surprised to read that he supposedly now is with Team beijing. 

A fan told me, that his visa wasn't declined, but that the reason it took so long, was because Shen Xue (who is in charge of visa applications) didn't send out the visa to get approved. So it was her mistake, whether there was any ill-intention, I do not know and have no ground to speculate.

5 hours ago, Xen said:

Nope, team beijing is not Pang/Tong, sorry for the mistake earlier. I am having trouble finding info on who heads that team. Pang/Tong I think are the ones heading Nats Team 2.

@xeyra To answer your question

Hide contents

There is a lot of speculation over what exactly happened, especially since in this interview he said the change to him happened after he returned from Canada.

Furthermore, someone at Helsinki after the SP at the interview, asked if he is going to train overseas, and his reply both then, and even in the article, is that it's not up to him to explain and decide. Which at least in the Chinese FS baidu bars, some speculation is that there was a feud or some other thing that pushed it so he had to decide between his coaches and training overseas (maybe Brian's insistance of no additional cooks in the kitchen was the straw?). Ultimately he ended up choosing his coaches, but some in China also suspect that he may have been pushed in that direction too. Even before he went to canada, he had posts where he said "last time on central street" in his hometown-which made some FS fans suspect he was supposed to go to overseas on a more permanent basis (this photo with that line also showed up before any news broke out about him and Orser). But the current speculation is that after the "BOrser Training Gate" event, his relations with the national team may have soured for at least the near term.

Actually, someone at Helsinki after the SP asked, if he is going to train overseas in the future and he replied: This is not my place to answer that. = no comment

He didn't said anything about whose decision it was. 

Oh God, this all sounds pretty awful, if he has to deal with problems with his fed on top of everything, I might just go ballistic. I'm not very familiar with the workings of the federation, but wouldn't excluding him from the main team be the stupidest thing ever? He's their only chance at a singles medal in Beijing after all. 

1 minute ago, MajaHled said:

Oh God, this all sounds pretty awful, if he has to deal with problems with his fed on top of everything, I might just go ballistic. I'm not very familiar with the workings of the federation, but wouldn't excluding him from the main team be the stupidest thing ever? He's their only chance at a singles medal in Beijing after all. 

Like I said, I'm not sure he has any severe problems with the fed. They certainly weren't delighted, when he refused to go to Orser, but before that the 'fed'-people really liked him and also joked with him, so maybe their relationship is just a little cool at the moment, but nothing serious. Or maybe not. 

17 minutes ago, Eclair said:

Actually, someone at Helsinki after the SP asked, if he is going to train overseas in the future and he replied: This is not my place to answer that. = no comment

He didn't said anything about whose decision it was. 

Yes, and that does seem to contradict with the official line given initially that it was due to his preference and out of respect for his training habits or something like that, as reason for him not going to Canada. The chinese line given back then in Helsinki, was more along the line of "It's not my decision to make." 

From what I've heard on Baidu, he's what, at Century Star rink, which is a commercial rink in Beijing. 

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Yes, and that does seem to contradict with the official line given initially that it was due to his preference and out of respect for his training habits or something like that, as reason for him not going to Canada. The chinese line given back then in Helsinki, was more along the line of "It's not my decision to make." 

From what I've heard on Baidu, he's what, at Century Star rink, which is a commercial rink in Beijing. 

I heard the words at Helsinki. He said: It's not my place to answer. BIG big difference to 'it's not my decision to make' which he didn't say.

Good to know about the Century Star rink :)

8 minutes ago, Eclair said:

I heard the words at Helsinki. He said: It's not my place to answer. BIG big difference to 'it's not my decision to make' which he didn't say.

Good to know about the Century Star rink :)

Hmm, "Should not be answered by me."  Thanks! Checked the clip. Guess he is staying put then.

Well century star is one of the more Figure skating focused commercial rinks in China, but still, conditions won't be that great compared to the national center. 

• 2 weeks later...