Team China

Boyang has had incredibly stellar senior seasons since he debuted, tbh, even without Saint Orser. I dont think it's fair to assume he's out of OGM contention because he's staying with the coaches that have provided him with unprecedented success for a Chinese singles skater. (im bringing a lot of things i saw being discussed in The Other Place because im kinda banned from there or whatever) but the biggest gripe coming from there and @Eclair is that he'll never be as good as he coulda been if he'd gone to TCC, but i dont think it's any of our places as people who couldn't be further away from being ELITE ATHLETES to judge what's best for Boyang or to say which training place is objectively better.

I think it's hugely disrespectful to assume he'll never get great results with these coaches who have proven that they are committed to evolving Boyang, as evidenced by his clear progression in skills since his senior debut.

19 minutes ago, salty said:

or to say which training place is objectively better.

Actually I would say TCC is an objectively better place. It's not just about the facilities but about the team there and the CSA wanted to send him for the same reason that it is probably the most sought out place right now for training; be it short or long term.

That doesn't mean of course that it would fit Boyang perfectly or that he would achieve the best results there as not every coach/training enviorment fits every skater but that bit aside, I would place it on top right now. 

In general, I think Boyang's decision is his to make as he will be the one to carry all the consequences, good or bad, from choosing as he did. TCC would have brought benefits, in many ways, had he chosen to go. Since he didn't feel the move, forcing him to go would have been madness because how well can you even train, and use the opportunity presented to you, if your heart is not in it? We have to wait and see what will happen, and which way the scales will tip in the end. 4 years is a long, long time and Boyang may very well be just fine.

I am kind of even more sorry for Hanee now. He did want to move to Raf, was ready and then the rug was yanked under him at the last moment and he ended up paying for it afterwards too, so it really makes me all the more bitter towards CSA and how they treated him. 

I would definitely say TCC is the better training facility, with better coaches and everything that is needed to improve what Boyang lacks. There is no question in my mind about that.  But, if he does not want to move then forcing him to go would not get results. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. I have no doubt he will continue to improve, he has done so every year... but will the rate of improvement be what he needs to overcome nathan, shoma? Time will tell. 4 years is 4 years. 

And it’s not just Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang - Yuzuru knew that new faces would emerge between Sochi and PC and he was absolutely correct.  There will be new names and faces emerging between now and 2022.

33 minutes ago, salty said:

but anime is not real life :lol: (except for a certain 2x oly gold medalist of course)

Well, if I'm to split hairs, the certain 2x Oly medallist life is not an anime either because he left his "smalltown training place" and got himself to a prime training facility abroad...:grin:

17 hours ago, Xen said:

There's quite a few who think there's a political warfare between the "liberal" camp and the more "conservative" factions, and if BOrser becomes Boyang's head coach, well the conservative factions would lose out.

TBH, this is the kind of thing that I suspect might have happened.

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Actually I would say TCC is an objectively better place. It's not just about the facilities but about the team there and the CSA wanted to send him for the same reason that it is probably the most sought out place right now for training; be it short or long term.

That doesn't mean of course that it would fit Boyang perfectly or that he would achieve the best results there as not every coach/training enviorment fits every skater but that bit aside, I would place it on top right now. 

In general, I think Boyang's decision is his to make as he will be the one to carry all the consequences, good or bad, from choosing as he did. TCC would have brought benefits, in many ways, had he chosen to go. Since he didn't feel the move, forcing him to go would have been madness because how well can you even train, and use the opportunity presented to you, if your heart is not in it? We have to wait and see what will happen, and which way the scales will tip in the end. 4 years is a long, long time and Boyang may very well be just fine.

I am kind of even more sorry for Hanee now. He did want to move to Raf, was ready and then the rug was yanked under him at the last moment and he ended up paying for it afterwards too, so it really makes me all the more bitter towards CSA and how they treated him. 

i agree im just pissed at the people who are writing him off now saying he'll never be an OGM 

10 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

Well, true that. Perhaps he did think of it, and said, nope, even for the Olympic gold, I'm not subjecting myself to 4 years away from home. I'll just stay here and maybe I'll get there anyway.

So I will just remain only a bit disappointed at the prospect of Boyang not becoming as good a skater as he might in Canada. 

Wish him the best anyway!

Same. I was really excited at the possibilities inherent in having so many top skaters in the same place at the same time; not only was I looking forward to watching Boyang get even better and reach his full potential as a skater, but I wanted to see if all of them ( incl. Zhenya, Jason, Gabby, Jun, etc)  all started getting influenced by each other and if that would result in them taking skating to an even higher realm of achievement. 

3 hours ago, salty said:

I think it's hugely disrespectful to assume he'll never get great results with these coaches who have proven that they are committed to evolving Boyang, as evidenced by his clear progression in skills since his senior debut.

I see your point, but back when Boyang's possible move to TCC was first announced, someone somewhere had a comment from one of his coaches basically saying they had taken Boyang as far as they could and that he needed more. I believe it was also his coaches who first contacted Brian about the possibility of him taking on Boyang. My memory might be incorrect but that's what I recall

Just now, salty said:

i agree im just pissed at the people who are writing him off now saying he'll never be an OGM 

It's definitely not a reason to write him off, especially as this sport is so very unpredictable in general and there are four long years to go. Writing anyone off, or proclaiming so and so is a sure thing for the top at this point is really premature. 

I do thinks some folks will only be convinced if Boyang keeps performing well, and improving, and then there are some who won't be convinced by anything, so my advice is just let it go. Keep supporting him and time will sort everything out. And your nerves will be in a far better state too!

2 hours ago, salty said:

Maybe he will, maybe he won't... of the three young pretenders to Yuzu's crown (Nathan, Boyang, Shoma), at least two will never get the Olympic Gold* no matter what good or bad choices they make, and quite possibly all three will miss out, for any number of reasons over the next three and a half years. And if and when they don't, there will be plenty of people to go "told you so!!" for all of them. It's way to early to start, though...

(*unless at least someone's knees and hips hold out for 2026, care to take bets? I wouldn't)

I'm not exactly sure what happened...

People were saying he could do very well at, and maybe win, 2022 last season, without any news of coaching change...

Then when Orser's camp was announced in the summer, most were thinking it was just temporary...

But now he's not going permanently, he suddenly lacks drive? 

Its interesting if you remember the reaction when JSF announced Yuzuru switch to TCC. Alot of doom and gloom and "there's nothing Brian could help/offer him". And now people are quite the same when Boyang didn't go. I would say Brian and his team's reputation change alot during the past few years (and rightfully so, they got some amazing results)
Though I would not say the TCC door is close for Boyang, its gonna be extremely hard had he ever want to change his mind. The deal was done and then cancelled, everybody would be more cautious, and they're are the high profile coaches. If anything, TCC doesn't lack of student in the next 4 years, they are even too crowded atm. Idk if they want to leave an open spot for Boyang or any skater in the future 
I think what surprise me is that he didn't even want to have a try out in TCC aka a summer camp. But what's done is done. I hope the best for Boyang. There would be alot of pressure for him to deliver this season.

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

It's definitely not a reason to write him off, especially as this sport is so very unpredictable in general and there are four long years to go. Writing anyone off, or proclaiming so and so is a sure thing for the top at this point is really premature. 

I do thinks some folks will only be convinced if Boyang keeps performing well, and improving, and then there are some who won't be convinced by anything, so my advice is just let it go. Keep supporting him and time will sort everything out. And your nerves will be in a far better state too!

nerves? what nerves?  84.gif