Team China

4 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Yeah, this all seems to me to be a part of a greater scheme. Maybe they want to establish all the infrastructure FS in China needs over the next four years? And of course making sure their current hopes are trained well and do well and win medals will make sure more kids join FS, and that there's a steady flow of talent in China.

(Speculation, as I don't know how FS is treated there)

Speed skating is still more important I think. =) But since the Beijing 2022, the sports fed is willing to throw money at speed and figure skating now. Hockey is already booming, there's something like 15 or so little league teams in private clubs in my city now. o_O We're talking about a city that has only what, 6 commercial rinks, none olympic size, and usually does not snow in winter.

And Zhao said in the original interview post PC, that anything set up now is not just for 2022, but for the future of the sport. Just that now 2022 has opened the funding floodgate, you need to take advantage of it, otherwise someone else will.

26 minutes ago, Xen said:

Speed skating is still more important I think. =) But since the Beijing 2022, the sports fed is willing to throw money at speed and figure skating now. Hockey is already booming, there's something like 15 or so little league teams in private clubs in my city now. o_O We're talking about a city that has only what, 6 commercial rinks, none olympic size, and usually does not snow in winter.

And Zhao said in the original interview post PC, that anything set up now is not just for 2022, but for the future of the sport. Just that now 2022 has opened the funding floodgate, you need to take advantage of it, otherwise someone else will.

Great! Gives me more hope for the current topic of discussion, too.

:snonegai:

Tiantian in TCC!

I must have this. Maybe seeing Boyang jump a hundred 4Lzes will give Yuzu the non-tilty-axis image he needs. Watching Javi apparently helped his 4S. And quite apart from that, I will be thrilled to see how Boyang's skating skills improve with Tracy's drilling.

Also I'm crying over what might have been with Han Yan, do we know anything?

22 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Also I'm crying over what might have been with Han Yan, do we know anything?

I think he's out. Still holding hopes that he might be one of the guys being sent to Raf, but likely it's Zhang He and his brother (the junior guy is his brother, right?).

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

and you can win as many Nationals as your handsome heart desires. 

HAHAHA! Everybody deserves that. 

Anyways, posting here too because I AM HYPE. I AM SO HAPPY FOR BOYANG. HE WILL BECOME THE COMPLETE PACKAGE AS WELL, JUST YOU WAIT. Always thought he had more interpretation potential than Nathan (0 interpretation, single-mindedness over quads) and Shoma (no evolution from start to finish). Loved his Worlds 2018 SP. It was much more different than the first time we've seen it. 

4 hours ago, robin said:

lalalalalala I can’t hear you

I wonder when we can expect an announcement 

Hahahahah high five, I feel like we are the most excited ones and don't want to consider the possibility of Boyang NOT going forever 

2 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Hahahahah high five, I feel like we are the most excited ones and don't want to consider the possibility of Boyang NOT going forever 

Well I don't think Zhao is the type to announce empty, unlikely possibilities, so there is something in the works for sure.  Just a question of what logistics results in. 

But no, you're not the only excited ones- the Chinese FS community is pretty hyped these days. But I hope, for BOrser, for Boyang and for CSA's sake, that they don't promise too much, it's just too much pressure that BOrser will magically wave all issues away. 

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

But I hope, for BOrser, for Boyang and for CSA's sake, that they don't promise too much, it's just too much pressure that BOrser will magically wave all issues away. 

Mmmh, true, 4 boys in team TCC seem like a lot of work. But if it's a co-coach thing, might it work? Like, I'm sure Yuzuru works with Brian almost every day of the week - might it be less frequent with Boyang? Truth is, pardon - I really don't know what a regular figure skating coach weekly schedule looks like. I'm sure Brian still feels young and able to work hours on end, but of course, he's also free to decide for himself how much time does he want to spend working daily (I bet he doesn't have financial issues that force him to overwork, lol). 

As for as I remember Roman sadovsky left TCC after a year because he didn't have enough attention from coaching team there. 

I want to keep a low expectation until i see Boyang at TCC and his development. I recalled how dissapointed I was when Young You's back to Korea, when we even saw Ghislain with her at JGP. I love TCC but its not a magic land to fix everything. They, as all coaching team out there have hit and miss. Not all programs from TCC skaters are great either (in fact they had some very bad one) I think I'm not the type to predict skater's improvement just base on the past successes of a coaching team. When Yuzuru's coaching change was announced  in 2012, alot of people thought it was bad move, and "there's nothing Orser can help him" :laughing:  

I would be very surprise to see a permanent move from Boyang. A few summer camp/workshop would be great enough at this point. 

Ps: As for the recordchina article a few pages ago, its published on 20/4, a summary of Zhao interview with Sina so I dont think it has any new info ( That twitter user has a tendency of recycling news when people seem to forget/move on so ...)

as i understand it with roman, they also wanted quite instant results and that wasn't happening. i think its pretty clear here that the intention is to prime boyang for 2022 olympics, not to prime him for instant success and improvement by the beginning of next season.

I hope we hear confirmation soon.... but could the delay be Brian waiting for Yuzu to come home so they can personally chat and discuss scenarios?  Man, the next 4 years certainly look fun, at least I would think so if I were Brian and had the potential group that he has....

I never thought the possibility existed of a Boyang move, but I think it would be good for all involved, especially now before the pressure of Beijing begins.  Observing training methods (esp skating skills drills) could be one thing the Chinese would be looking for in order to build their system at home later on...

Orzel moved to TCC? I hope he gives it time to work instead of jumping ship quickly like Roman. Rome wasnt built in a day. 

I have a distinct feeling the Chinese are looking to have more than Boyang's skating skills improved if he goes to TCC.  The thing is the Chinese skating program is quite insular, isolated from the social and media establishment that is figure-skating outside of China.  It's likely the Chinese are grooming Boyang to be China's poster-boy come 2022.  But he has to be more media-savvy, have at least something more than rudimentary English and have access to the choreographic elite that is to be found outside China.  TCC fills the bill, since there is nobody more relaxed and charming to the media than Yuzu, at least when functioning in Japanese.  When interpreters are at hand Yuzu proves to be one of the most articulate athletes to be found anywhere, due to his high intelligence and knowledge of the sport, not to mention his charm and sincerity.  Also TCC has contacts with the cream of choreographers, beginning with its own unofficial stable of generally former Canadian skating stars.  Also proximity to Yuzu would be attractive.  For Boyang, being able to see Yuzu's training on a day-to-day basis would give him more insights into Yuzu's methods, both physical and mental, than just having a new set of coaches.  The thing is that over time Boyang's skating has grown.  He's essentially put the obsession with quads behind him and is seriously trying to increase his PCS points (not that he's abandoned quads but they are no longer the raison d'etre of his being on the ice).  I know this is speculation on my part but I'll figure my ideas are confirmed if Boyang signs up with Brian on a long-term basis without any of his Chinese coaches around (he won't get past the doors of TCC if the Chinese insist on their presence) and if he starts getting involved with the international summer ice show circuit (not this summer but in summers-to-come).  The one caveat is that Brian might be thinking he's got rather too many young, up-and-coming male skaters on his hands.  On the other hand the Chinese trusting Boyang's training would be a major feather in Brian's cap and Boyang looks to be evolving into the sort of complete skater Brian insists on.  Why the Chinese are willing to trust Brian?  One simple answer - When's the last time you've seen two of a coach's athletes together on the same Olympic podium?  He must be doing something right.