Team China

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

As for Boyang to TCC and not Raf- not that much a surprise for me. Zhao mentioned that he admires Yuzu's mental strength at competitions, and his ability to handle pressure. That is something that he joked "all coaches are trying to figure out." If you can't figure it out, send the kid there and see if it rubs off. But also, somewhere there was an interview that said something about Tracy giving brief skating skills exercises to Shen/Zhao. I have a feeling that Boyang is going to TCC also for Tracy's lessons. 

He needs a lot more work than that. This is such a great path for him! So, so happy!

...I want to attend the Canadian WCs now. I know someone who lives in Canada, but they don't care for FS I think, so I can't live vicariously through them. :/ 

3 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

He needs a lot more work than that. This is such a great path for him! So, so happy!

...I want to attend the Canadian WCs now. I know someone who lives in Canada, but they don't care for FS I think, so I can't live vicariously through them. :/ 

TCC will become a center of the fanboy battles. Will Shingo Nishiyama or Boyang come out victorious? Will Gogolev decide to just d*mn it and join? Will Cha manage to stop this before BOrser catches on? Stay tuned!

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

TCC will become a center of the fanboy battles. Will Shingo Nishiyama or Boyang come out victorious? Will Gogolev decide to just d*mn it and join? Will Cha manage to stop this before BOrser catches on? Stay tuned!

That's it, I'm going even if I don't have the money!

Change his entries, Brian (so he can not crash into the boards)! Make him get more speed, so he can make his 4S and 4Lo larger! Break his bad habit of looking at the boards before jumping~!! Make him practice transitions!

MAKE HIS 4Lz A MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONSTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER (an even scarier one)

Training with the best there are must be such a valuable experience. 

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

...But does this mean no hilarious Weibo posts anymore/for the summer? :13877886:

I don't know-he might just post stuff of his life in canada outside of training. Think of Tourguide Boyang-how to survive in Toronto with minimal english 101. 

My guess is that previously he had 2-3 months with Lori no? So during that period, he might just go over to TCC to train too. 

2 hours ago, xeyra said:

Under spoilers for your phones:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

52 minutes ago, Xen said:

Okay guys, quick translation done. Under spoiler, source link: https://k.sina.cn/article_213815211_0cbe8fab020006n1d.html?kfrome=sports&local=&subch=18&vt=4&http=fromhttp&wm=3049_0016&from=qudao&sendweibouid=5532547397

NOTE: I'm only translating the Subtopics, the initial section about why they chose Sanya, I'm not going to translate. 

Hide contents

(小标题)双人滑备战从海选开始

双人滑是中国花样滑冰队的优势项目,先后涌现出了申雪/赵宏博、庞清/佟健、张丹/张昊和韩聪/隋文静等世界顶尖选手。赵宏博说,这次中国队将在三亚展开双人滑项目海选,各省市、地方以及社会上愿意从事双人滑项目的选手都可以参加。海选不但将为2022年冬奥会备战服务,也会为这个项目在北京冬奥会之后的发展增强人才储备。

据赵宏博透露,为了提高海选的权威性,两届冬奥会冠军得主、俄罗斯双人滑名宿高尔捷娃将前往三亚,与赵宏博、韩冰、关金林等中方教练一起参与测试训练和运动员的挑选工作。为了实现在2022年冬奥会上取得佳绩的目标,还可能会对队内的原有组合进行调整和重组。

参加这次海选和集训的运动员总共有40多人。除了冬奥会银牌得主韩聪/隋文静之外,其他知名双人滑选手都会参加。由于脚趾疲劳性骨折,隋文静目前还在国家体育总局的体育医院接受康复性训练,预计还需要1个月左右的康复时间。

赵宏博表示,多年以来,中国队在双人滑项目上获得了一些成功经验,刚刚入选国际滑联名人堂的前中国队总教练姚滨留下了很多宝贵的训练计划和成功案例。在北京冬奥会周期,双人滑项目的训练仍将以中方团队为主导,主要在国内展开备战。

(小标题)李香凝将尝试兼项双人滑

在平昌冬奥会花样滑冰双人滑比赛中,隋文静/韩聪和于小雨/张昊分别获得亚军和第八名。为了在北京冬奥会上冲击这个项目的金牌,中国队希望继续增强双人滑的“厚度”,让女单选手李香凝尝试兼项双人滑就是计划中的一个大胆的尝试。

在平昌冬奥会上,未满18岁的李香凝作为中国队唯一参赛的女单选手获得了第22名。

赵宏博表示,之所以想让李香凝兼项双人滑,有两方面的考虑。一是目前中国双人滑组合中的一些女伴经常在单人跳中出现失误,最近两届冬奥会都有组合因为这个因素影响比赛成绩。李香凝在勾手三周跳等跳跃动作上具备较好的难度储备,身材、体重方面也比较合适,如果加盟双人滑具备一些先发优势。二是按照目前世界女单的发展趋势,4年之后李香凝要想进入北京冬奥会前十名非常困难。如果能在双人滑项目中有所突破,也能发挥她已经具备的才能。赵宏博希望,经过4年的努力,她所加盟的组合能够成为中国参加北京冬奥会的3对重量级组合之一。

李香凝可以说是目前国内最好的女单选手。在让她尝试兼项的问题上,中国队非常慎重。为了这件事,赵宏博与李香凝的注册单位齐齐哈尔体育局进行了充分的沟通,也征求了李香凝本人的意见。

李香凝在接受新华社记者专访时说:“很荣幸能够成为赵老师的学生,我愿意去尝试练习双人滑。期望能有更好的发展,提升自己的水平,争取为国家做贡献。”

李香凝表示,对于双人滑而言,她还是一个“初学者”。她会尽自己所能,努力尝试,尽快提升与舞伴的配合和对双人滑项目的理解。在兼项双人滑的同时,她也会尽力保持自己单人滑的竞技水准。

赵宏博说,让李香凝兼项是一个大胆的尝试,不会耽误她的单人滑训练。在新赛季开始前的训练中,教练组将对她进行充分观察,包括她的滑行能力和力量、体重方面的变化,通过一系列的科学测试,最终来评估她到底适不适合从事双人滑项目。至于在新赛季她究竟会参加女单还是双人滑的比赛,目前尚无定论。

(小标题)男女单、冰舞各辟蹊径

与双人滑这个小项的训练方式不同,在2022年北京冬奥会周期,中国队在男女单人滑和冰舞这3个小项上将主要采用外训的方式,力争取得突破。

赵宏博告诉记者,针对男单重点运动员金博洋,教练组考虑让他在许兆晓等中方教练的带领下前往加拿大,与著名教练劳瑞和奥瑟的团队合作。其中,劳瑞是世界顶级编舞师,与中国队合作多年。而奥瑟则有过执教羽生结弦和金妍儿的成功经验。赵宏博希望,通过与世界顶级教练团队的合作,在冬奥会上获得第四名的金博洋能够进一步提升艺术表现力和临场比赛的心态。另外,中国队还有两名比较有潜质的男单选手,将送到美国的一个教练团队那里进行训练。

在女单方面,中国队将另辟蹊径。赵宏博告诉记者,中国队在女单项目上的发展道路不太平坦。陈露退役之后,曾经涌现出李子君、李香凝、赵子荃等一些有潜质的选手,但是距离世界顶尖水平仍有较大差距。因此,在女单项目上,中国队考虑吸纳一些在海外的、父母是中国国籍的年轻选手,由中国花样滑冰协会和中国队为他们提供好的平台,采用与国外优秀训练团队合作的模式,在海外培养、海外训练。到2022年北京冬奥会时,从中选拔可用之才,代表中国队参赛。另外,近些年国内的一些滑冰俱乐部也培养了部分有潜力的年轻女单选手。中国队将寻求与花样滑冰强国俄罗斯的合作,争取把她们送到俄罗斯,一边上学,一边练习花样滑冰,从中培养和发现人才。

在男单、女单、双人滑和冰舞这4个小项中,中国队在冰舞项目上的差距最大。赵宏博表示,对这个项目,中国队将采取两个办法来提升水平。

目前,国内有十一、二对具备一定水平的冰舞选手。近期,中国花样滑冰协会将与蒙特利尔国际滑冰学校展开合作。蒙特利尔国际滑冰学校是世界上最成功的冰舞训练学校之一,拥有多位优秀的教练员和编排老师。该校的顶级教练将帮助中国队对现有的冰舞选手进行挑选和重组,从中挑出两三对选手,送他们去加拿大接受专业团队的训练。另外,中国花样滑冰协会还将尝试与北京舞蹈学院和上海戏剧学院合作,把剩下的冰舞选手送到高校,并在这两所高校的舞蹈系学生中实施跨项选材,希望能通过冰舞选手与舞蹈系学生的互动、交流和学习中“碰撞”出滑冰和舞蹈兼优的实力组合。

赵宏博表示,2022年北京冬奥会的备战已经开始,国家体育总局和冬季运动管理中心都高度重视。中国花样滑冰队要抓住机遇,奋发有为,从整体上提升队伍的竞技实力。通过大家的共同努力,争取有令人耳目一新的变化。(完)

ENG: 

Subtopic: Pairs preparation will start with selection event

Pairs is an area that Chinese figure skating team has always done well at, with top teams such as  Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Zhang/Zhang and now Sui/Han. This time, Zhao Hongbo stated, the selection event for pairs in Sanya will welcome all teams from various provinces, regional and even common teams (so long as they are interested in pairs) to participate and compete. The selection is not just for 2022, but also to help add to the talent pool for skating development after Beijing.

From what Zhao Hongbo revealed, in order to increase the credibility of this selection event, famous Russian pairs skater and 2 time Olympic champion Gordeeva will also be in Sanya, and will be joining Chinese coaches including Zhao Hongbo, Han Bing, Guan Jinlin in the testing, training and selection of athletes. In order to get the best results of 2022, there is a possible reorganization and adjustment of original pairs on the team.

The number of athletes joining in this selection event and training is over 40. Other than Olympic Silver Medalists teams Sui/Han, other known teams will also participate. Due to stress fractures in her toes, Sui Wenjing is currently still rehabilitating (recovery training) in the National Sports Federation’s main hospital, and the rehabilitation time is expected to need around another month.

Zhao Hongbo expressed that over the course of the years, the Chinese teams have exprenced success in the pairs event; and Yao Bing, who has just been entered into the ISU Hall of Fame, has left many precious experience, plans and successful case-studies. In the quad leading to the Beijing Olympics, the pairs event training will still be led by the Chinese side, with preparation done mostly domestically.

Subtopic: Li Xiangning will try-out pairs simultaneously

In the Pyeongchang Olympics Pairs event, Sui Wenjing/Han Chong, and Yu Xiaoyu/Zhang Dan were 2nd and 8th accordingly. In order to go for the gold in Beijing, the Chinese Team wishes to increase the strength of the pairs event. One of the more daring methods they will try, is to allow women’s singles skating competitor, Li Xiangning, try out pairs simultaneously.

In Pyeongchang, Li Xiangning (under 18) was the only one to represent China in the women’s vent, and placed 22nd.

Zhao Hongbong expressed that the reason they wish to let Li try pairs, is out of consideration of 2 reasons. One is that currently in Chinese Pairs teams, some of the female skaters will commit errors in the solo side-by-side jumps, and many teams have had this affect their competitive scores in the past 2 Olympics. Li Xiangning has obtained sufficient technical difficulty with her ability at 3Lz and other jumps, and her body type, weight etc also meet the criteria, and as such she has some potential advantage if she joins pairs. Second, based on the current trend in women’s vent,  it would be difficult for Li to place in the top 10 after 4 years. If she is able to have a breakthrough in pairs, it would also allow her to reach and show her potential. Zhao hopes that after 4 years of effort, the team that she forms will be one of the 3 key teams for Beijing.

Li is currently the best women’s single skater in China. As such, the Chinese team was very careful when deciding on whether she should try pairs. For this, Zhao Hongbo communicated extensively with the Qiqihar Sports Federation which Li belongs to, and asked for Li’s opinions.

When interviewed by Xinhua reporters, Li said, ‘I’m very honored to become a student of Zhao Hongbo, and I am willing to try out pairs. I hope I will develop well, improve my overall abilities and try my best to give back to my country.”

Li also expressed that in regards to pairs, she is only a “beginniner.” As such, she will try her best within her abilities, and try to increase her ability to match her partner and understand pairs as quickly as possible. At the same time as trying out pairs, she will also try to maintain her singles skating skills as much as possible.

Zhao also stated that letting Li try both is a very daring method, but it should not affect her singles practice. In the initial training at the start of the season, the coaching team will observe her carefully, including any changes to her skating skills, strength and weight, and from a series of objective tests, evaluate at the end whether or not she is suitable for pairs, Whether she will remain as a women’s singles skaters, or compete as a pairs skater in the next season remains to be determined.

Subtopic: Men, women’s singles skating, and Ice Dance carve their own paths.

In contrast to pairs, in the quad leading to Beijing, Chinese National Team will utilize foreign training for men’s, women’s and ice dance, in order to achieve a breakthrough.

Zhao told reporters, that in regard to Jin Boyang, the coaching team is considering allowing him to go to Canada under the guidance of Coaches such as Xu Yaoxiao, and cooperate with coaches such as Lori Nichol and Brian Orser. Among them, Lori Nichol is a top choreographer and has worked with Chinese National team for many years. And Brian Orser has experience coaching Yuzuru Hanyu and Yuna Kim to success. Zhao expressed that he wishes that through working with top international coaching teams, Jin Boyang can improve on his artistry and his mental strength during competition. Additionally, the Chinese team has 2 other high potential male skaters whom they will send to train overseas with an American coach.

For women’s event, Chinese team will try other approaches. Zhao told reports that Chinese team has not had smooth development in the women’s event. Since the retirement of Chen Lu, China has had Li Zijun, Li Xiangning, and Zhao Zixuan who are high potential athletes, however there is still a gap in comparison to the top. As such, in the women’s event, Chinese National Team is considering taking in some young overseas skaters whose parents are Chinese nationality, the Chinese Skating Federation and team will give them a chance and a platform to develop, cooperate with foreign coaching teams, allowing development and training overseas. At 2022, select good athletes to represent China. Additionally, domestic skating clubs in China have also developed high potential female skaters in recent years. For these, China National Team will seek to cooperate with Russia, try to send these girls to Russia allowing them to go to school and train simultaneously, and seek to develop talents among them.

In Men’s, Women’s, Pairs and Ice Dance, the gap between China and the rest of the world is largest in Ice Dance. Zhao mentioned in this regard, China will try 2 methods to improve its abilities.

Currently there are about 11, 12 ice dance team that are at a sufficient level. In the short team the CSA start cooperating with the Montreal International Skating School (?). The Montreal International Skating School is one of the most successful ice dance training centers in the world, with many top-notch coaches and choreographers. The top coaches of this school will help the Chinese National team select and group the current Chinese ice dancers, and select 2 to 3 dance teams to be sent to Canada to receive professional training. Additionally, CSA will also try to work with the Beijing Dance Academy and the Shanghai Theatre Academy, and send the remaining teams to these schools to receive cross-training with dance students, so that in the interaction with the dance school students, it may be possible to have some teams that are capable in both dance and skating.

Zhao Hongbo expressed that the preparations for the 2022 Beijing Olympics have already started, and the National Sports Federation and the Winter Sports Management center all view this importantly. As such, the Chinese National Skating team must take this opportunity and try their best, and increase their overall competitive strength. And with everyone’s joint efforts, try to bring about new and positive change.

Whoah! China wants them medals. Badly.

5 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Whoah! China wants them medals. Badly.

Very, and they managed to wrestle money from gov't against all those other sports. 

I hope this helps with skating development in China. I'm looking at the plans for ladies and have some ideas on which girls they are targetting-there's a slew of little 9-12 year old girls who won't meet the age requirement for Beijing, but if they stay on will be a threat. Quite a number of little 11 year old girls have 2As now (there's a little 10 year old girl in my city who just started landing them).  There's nothing now in the junior ranks, but come 2-3 years, China might have a couple. =)

In regards to Boyang-the part I'm happy about is a) CSA will consider sending skaters overseas for singles discipline, something that was not considered much before. Even if briefly, even if this was originally just an exception for this cycle, if there are results, this may open the pathway as a long term option. Chinese coaches are strict on the basics, but there might be a move to send higher level skaters to "finishing schools" overseas. This is what was needed in singles. b) That CSA recognizes where our men are weaker in at the top level-this is why Canada is selected. Frequently, I see in the QQ live broadcast about "Canadian SS" and it's for a reason, Canadian basic skating skills are considered one of the best in Chinese FS circles. I don't know, but maybe if nationalism wasn't such an issue, I wonder if there were ever considerations of sending skaters to Japan. 

53 minutes ago, Xen said:

In regards to Boyang-the part I'm happy about is a) CSA will consider sending skaters overseas for singles discipline, something that was not considered much before. Even if briefly, even if this was originally just an exception for this cycle, if there are results, this may open the pathway as a long term option. Chinese coaches are strict on the basics, but there might be a move to send higher level skaters to "finishing schools" overseas. This is what was needed in singles. b) That CSA recognizes where our men are weaker in at the top level-this is why Canada is selected. Frequently, I see in the QQ live broadcast about "Canadian SS" and it's for a reason, Canadian basic skating skills are considered one of the best in Chinese FS circles. I don't know, but maybe if nationalism wasn't such an issue, I wonder if there were ever considerations of sending skaters to Japan. 

I do hope it leads to success, and may China be another "small fed" to breakthrough. Korea is doing it bit by bit, too, and let the "big fed" status fade away from this corrupt sport. 

Hi guys, opining in my translation last night.  I was thinking over the chinese version and I think it's more likely that this is a short term thing. One is that the coach who would go with Boyang is his current main coach, so it's likely that the coach is also seeking to get trained in some way. But this probably can't be helped, because I don't think the Chinese gov't is that comfortable with an all foreign coaches team for its skaters yet. There is also the possibility that Boyang's current main coach would move on to an overseas training coordinator role, similar to Shirota for Yuzu.

Now, a couple hypothesis I have:

1) I'm wondering what role Lori Nichol had in pushing for this. A lot of people don't like her, but it's also true that to get Chinese fed to accept more overseas training, the person doing the pushing has to prove something first. In which case, I recall some of Zijun's posts indicating she and Chinese National team were hanging out with Lori for a long time in Canada. I suspect maybe even back then, Boyang was already doing SS practice with Lori (people tend to forget she's a former skater and also coaches), and she might have with the improved programs this year, found a way to push for more overseas training, especially since Boyang has noticeably improved his skating. If Boyang is already having issues controlling his jumps due to improved SS, might as well go the full way to BOrser and seek consultation for at least summer.

2) I wonder if the coaching arrangement may involve Lori being main coach, or joint coaches with BORser the way he works with Tracy. However, the issue that scares me is what Chinese media would expect-in which case having Boyang's Chinese main coach (possibly still remain as main coach), woud help mitigate some of the scrutiny. What I mean is that media handling and PR for Chinese media would be handled by his coach, so BOrser nor Lori would have to deal with the Chinese net (which in some ways is even crazier than US or JPN media). My main concern is that if Boyang goes long term, the expectations on him would be immense (maybe less than pairs, but immense).

Other stuff:

1) There have been a lot of noise over CSA poaching chinese skaters overseas. I think based on the article, the emphasis is on the domestic girls. The key here is that they are opening the pathway to training overseas, with funding covered by the Chinese fed. This alleviates a concern that many parents have- that China domestically does not have an education system that allows for someone to do well at both sport and education. There are some very good novice girls these days, about 11 years old with triples, and even 3A is considered something that even private clubs skaters have to train for at a young age. However, many of these skaters also participate in dance, gymnastics, and parents would then weigh which activity is to cause the least financial burden. If Zhao really delivers on this funding, with overseas training as a possibility, this can swing some parents to let their children choose skating.

2) The "hot words" in China right now is "overseas training/education" and "where to go after I leave this sport." By opening funding and overseas training to ice dance, men's and women's, Zhao is essentially signalling that many funding will go there, so parents won't need to worry if their children won't make the cut for pairs. If anything, the number of skaters going into singles may increase. And the idea of working with dance schools is good-because this ensures a plan for when the skater stops skating-something very important for Ice Dance as their skaters on average, have to devote more years of their life to competition.

I read several translations and I agree its more like a short term for Boyang. They used the word "work with " not "train under". In summer 2016, Boyang ( and Zijun) went to Lori for choreo and trained there for 1 month I think. It might be the same this time. If he goes to TCC for summer camps, he will join multiple training sessions with different coaches, not only Brian. Anyway its still good and let's hope it will come true (and he will be in Toronto when Yuzu's there)  

4 minutes ago, Katt said:

I read several translations and I agree its more like a short term for Boyang. They used the word "work with " not "train under". In summer 2016, Boyang ( and Zijun) went to Lori for choreo and trained there for 1 month I think. It might be the same this time. If he goes to TCC for summer camps, he will join multiple training sessions with different coaches, not only Brian. Anyway its still good and let's hope it will come true (and he will be in Toronto when Yuzu's there)  

No way will he have time to train if Yuzu's there, only endless web-shooting duets.

i feel like yuzu will likely not be there if boyang will be training for summer camp. as in, he will train in a different time? but idk, he was there with young you back then.... so maybe :fingerscrossed:

i really hope that he gets to work with one other choreographer besides lori. she can be amazing, i love spiderman and CTHD, but her LPs for boyang so far were.. really not to my liking. Something like CTHD next season from lori sounds good. i kinda want jeff buttle to work with boyang. i dont know i feel like boyang do have this charisma, he can be really cool if he wants, i mean look at his fashion pic. but his charm so far is used in a cute-ish, boy-ish way by lori? i think? which he is, but he can also be more. i want him to work on a more suave(?) program. something with a fun beat. use his more handsome side or something. but faster rhythm could be exhausting in a long program (worse because jeff use every beat of the music to his advantage) so idk. maybe shae can disguise his weakness like she did for nathan but somehow i dont really like the sound of that sentence.

ofc that is all just my hope because i feel like chinese fed will make him stick to lori for both programs *sigh*

thank you so much for the translation and interesting input @Xen wow CSA is really pushing for beijing 2020, arent they? nevertheless, more funding all around is really, really good for the future of the chinese skaters! good job to whoever fight for this!

2 hours ago, swanbeau said:

thank you so much for the translation and interesting input @Xen wow CSA is really pushing for beijing 2020, arent they? nevertheless, more funding all around is really, really good for the future of the chinese skaters! good job to whoever fight for this!

You're welcome. :peek:

I still think this is more a temporary issue, because Zhao said it very differently from the other decisions that were made (he sounded far more definitive about the skaters going to an American coach). And with the way he said having another coach tag along to watch, I think it's more of a short term cooperation, or a continuous cooperation, seeking advice from BOrser (similar perhaps to Lori) than a long term. With a main coach by Boyang's side,  it's more of a "try and see" approach. There's still the possibility of even having Lori as a main coach, with BOrser as a secondary coach who could be consulted in the summer off-season. Boyang doesn't do many shows (hence why Ice fantasia participation raised my eyebrows).

Anyways, my biggest fear is the CHN media and the expectations that will be heaped on the team if Boyang actually goes to BOrser-if anything, that might be why no longer term plans are in discussion. Otherwise, there's just too much pressure on the CSA, BOrser and Boyang.