Tokyo Ghoul

yuzuonice

Hello!

I was searching for a thread about Yuzu's favourite anime, which is coming back today, but I couldn't find anything, so I made it myself, I hope that's okay. :)

To be honest, I watched the anime years ago when it came out, I liked season 1, but season 2 seemed like one big mess to me, I couldn't follow the plot at all! I finished it nevertheless, and watched the OVA that came out as well (Pinto or something like that), but I heard that the new season, TG:re, is based on the manga of the same name and that the plot doesn't specifically follow the original TG manga?

So rather than re-watching the two seasons again, I thought I might read the manga instead. I think this would be wiser since animes tend to leave things out when adapting the story? 

Are there any fans who can tell me where to start? I want to get back into it but I don't want to start a new season not knowing what the plot was so far :2:

Should I just read both of the mangas from the start? That's a lot of chapters! :waffle:

Read the Tokyo ghoul manga from chapter 1 followed by the sequel Tokyo ghoul:re.

Season 1 sort of follows the manga, and season 2 deviates from manga. 

Season 3 anime is based on the sequel manga Tokyo ghoul:re, and might be following it ignoring season 2. 

It’s a mess. Just read the manga.

1 hour ago, singermelodie1 said:

I never watched nor read it. :peekapooh:Is it good?

Yes, you question the tastes of the lord of our planet, the GOAT?

Realistically, if you like d gray man and evangelion this could be a new favorite . Tokyo Ghoul draws from literature, psychology, and society.

20 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

Hello!

I was searching for a thread about Yuzu's favourite anime, which is coming back today, but I couldn't find anything, so I made it myself, I hope that's okay. :)

To be honest, I watched the anime years ago when it came out, I liked season 1, but season 2 seemed like one big mess to me, I couldn't follow the plot at all! I finished it nevertheless, and watched the OVA that came out as well (Pinto or something like that), but I heard that the new season, TG:re, is based on the manga of the same name and that the plot doesn't specifically follow the original TG manga?

So rather than re-watching the two seasons again, I thought I might read the manga instead. I think this would be wiser since animes tend to leave things out when adapting the story? 

Are there any fans who can tell me where to start? I want to get back into it but I don't want to start a new season not knowing what the plot was so far :2:

Should I just read both of the mangas from the start? That's a lot of chapters! :waffle:

if you watched both anime seasons then you got the gist to where the tokyo ghoul manga ended before it starts in tokyo ghoul:re :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: the manga is a whole lot better (esp for season 2 anime) so if you have time you can also read the original tokyo ghoul manga again :biggrin: but you'll get the gist when we jump start to re later today :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: so excited for season 3!

9 hours ago, singermelodie1 said:

I never watched nor read it. :peekapooh:Is it good?

it's good but can be gory :P if you're not into those stuffs prepare yourself before startin

1 hour ago, freeyafanfan said:

if you watched both anime seasons then you got the gist to where the tokyo ghoul manga ended before it starts in tokyo ghoul:re :tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5: the manga is a whole lot better (esp for season 2 anime) so if you have time you can also read the original tokyo ghoul manga again :biggrin: but you'll get the gist when we jump start to re later today :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: so excited for season 3!

14 hours ago, moonkat said:

Read the Tokyo ghoul manga from chapter 1 followed by the sequel Tokyo ghoul:re.

Season 1 sort of follows the manga, and season 2 deviates from manga. 

Season 3 anime is based on the sequel manga Tokyo ghoul:re, and might be following it ignoring season 2. 

It’s a mess. Just read the manga.

thank you both for the info! I'll read the first manga then, and when I'm done I'll just start with TG:re anime :)

3 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

thank you both for the info! I'll read the first manga then, and when I'm done I'll just start with TG:re anime :)

Good luck finishing the manga. Prepare some tissues too. And snacks. Lot of it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got around to checking TG out properly and ended up binge reading the manga in 2 days whoops
The first season of the anime was great as well, the second one really is a mess (and I can't figure out the reason for why they made it that way it just seems like put the manga's important battles in a blender and scrambled it up while sidelining kaneki and making him basically a mute? even ignoring the "kaneki joins aogiri tree" as an AU thing the plot just doesn't make any sense, or rather there isn't any plot) and I had to stop it midway through.. oh well, I shouldn't even spend my time on that in the first place but what can you do

Now I just have to catch up with :RE

I blame Yuzu entirely :4:

• 5 weeks later...