Team Canada

I know this might seem a bit off-topic for this thread but I've just been doing some online research about Brian's Wunderkind, Stephen Gogolev.  Amongst the various things I learned was Stephen was born just days after Yuzu turned 10 and he has been working with Brian since age seven, meaning two things - one, Brian is primarily responsible for the Stephen Gogolev we see today and two, Stephen started working with Brian at just about the same time Yuzu did.  That means that Stephen has been working almost alongside two of the world's premier men's skaters for the better part of a decade, an ideal situation for seeing what can be done and what can't (with Yuzu there's a great deal of the former and only a little of the latter).  Just like young toddlers start accomplishing things at an earlier age if they have siblings only a year or two older than them, I think Stephen is accomplishing things earlier because he's had Yuzu and Javi close at hand.  Also, knowing Yuzu's fondness for children and also his generosity, I can't imagine that Yuzu has been sparing in giving advice when Stephen may have asked him.  One article I read about Stephen indicated that he had scores that would have qualified him for the world SENIOR championships the previous season, even though he would have just turned twelve that season.  In short, we're seeing a new Yuzu (at least on the technical level).  There are a number of videos of Stephen on YouTube, so you can get a sense of what he's capable of doing.  He still has a lot to learn on the PCS side of things and here he can really learn from Yuzu, but just as Yuzu has dominated men's skating this decade I think it quite possible that Stephen will be the dominant force in the 20s.

That's it as far as my discussion of Stephen on this thread.  Anything else I have to say will be on the General Skating Thread although I do have a suggestion, and that is to start a thread dealing with Brian's other skaters, not only those he's currently training but also those from the past.

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

I know this might seem a bit off-topic for this thread but I've just been doing some online research about Brian's Wunderkind, Stephen Gogolev.  Amongst the various things I learned was Stephen was born just days after Yuzu turned 10 and he has been working with Brian since age seven, meaning two things - one, Brian is primarily responsible for the Stephen Gogolev we see today and two, Stephen started working with Brian at just about the same time Yuzu did.  That means that Stephen has been working almost alongside two of the world's premier men's skaters for the better part of a decade, an ideal situation for seeing what can be done and what can't (with Yuzu there's a great deal of the former and only a little of the latter).  Just like young toddlers start accomplishing things at an earlier age if they have siblings only a year or two older than them, I think Stephen is accomplishing things earlier because he's had Yuzu and Javi close at hand.  Also, knowing Yuzu's fondness for children and generosity, I can't imagine that Yuzu has been sparing in giving advice when Stephen may have asked him.  One article I read about Stephen indicated that he had scores that would have qualified him for the world SENIOR championships the previous season, even though he would have just turned twelve that season.  In short, we're seeing a new Yuzu (at least on the technical level).  There are a number of videos of Stephen on YouTube, so you can get a sense of what he's capable of doing.  He still has a lot to learn on the PCS side of things and here he can really learn from Yuzu, but just as Yuzu has dominated men's skating this decade I think it quite possible that Stephen will be the dominant force in the 20s.

That's it as far as my discussion of Stephen on this thread.  Anything else I have to say will be on the General Skating Thread although I do have a suggestion, and that is to start a thread dealing with Brian's other skaters, not only those he's currently training but also those from the past.

Stephen competed at the Senior level at Canadian Nationals this year.  If you watch his FS he tried the 4Lz, but I think he popped it, then he threw a triple Axel in at the end of the program.  I wonder who he got that idea from... :peekapooh:

:offtopic:

It's hard to make future predictions for a 13 yo.... growth spurt, injuries, bad luck, pressure and other, maybe  personal, factors can change a lot of things. Figure skating will change in the next 4  years, maybe he won't "fit" anymore when he becomes a senior. We saw it many times, skaters who were promising as juniors, but failed when they became seniors

5 hours ago, anirien said:

Stephen competed at the Senior level at Canadian Nationals this year.  If you watch his FS he tried the 4Lz, but I think he popped it, then he threw a triple Axel in at the end of the program.  I wonder who he got that idea from... :peekapooh:

Add YOLO3A to the list of possible moves that could be named after Yuzu. :biggrin:

And we got to see 4lz-3t in the 6min warm-up, iirc. I had to rely on the commentators, who were just as shocked as I was, because I didn't trust my own eyes. It looked like nothing to him!

I was in London, Ontario today and as i was driving through a quiet neighbourhood I saw a nice little restaurant with a great big banner on its deck with a big " Tessa and Scott" written on it... I couldn't turn and look closer since I was driving in traffic so I didn't make out exactly what it said, but it was cool to see Tessa's home town showing them some obvious love!!