Team Canada

Canadians have almost 3 spots in all the disciplines, and it doesn't seem to be too tense for any of it?

What is going to happen to Patrick's 4F? That's certainly an interesting question. It's a quad he's had before and I admit, I'm curious to see it.

The ladies seem to be doing well but Gabby, Kaetlyn and Alaine seem set. Will they up their game though.

Virtue and Moir may have snagged the gold in Helsinki but it's going to be much more difficult in PC.

Is Patrick really bringing in a 4F to Olympic season after only landing the 4S twice in the 2016/2017 season? While also adding the 4S to the SP? I feel like that was only a speculative insert of whatever journalist interviewed Patrick for that particular divisive article. I'm actually curious, though: was there ever any video of this 4F he used to train?

I doubt he'll add it. He's way too conservative to bring that out to competition after so many years of not using it. If I"m wrong, well, that would be awesome, I love the idea of the "old guys" bringing it. Other than that article, I'd never heard of him having a 4F, but these guys try so many things in practice that it would not surprise me.

Patrick used to have a 4F. I don't remember who spoke of it now but apparently it looked really good. Then the whole thing happened as you know. So he might want it back now, and it'll certainly be easier considering he doesn't have to start from complete scratch. He's definitely doing a 2 quad SP so I wonder if the solo jump will be the 4F if he manages to get it.

Really Patrick's real gold shot is the team event. I think that'll be one of the primary goals for team Canada anyway so I really am curious what his strategy will end up being.

I enjoyed Charlie White's interview with Patrick at Worlds. He said if he could stay in the top 5, on any given day he could win/podium. That seems reasonable. Will Pyeongchang be like Sochi (base value wins) or like Vancouver (conservative, clean wins)? Probably neither. It will have its own narrative we can't predict. Veterans upstaging the young guys would be an interesting story. (Obviously two-time gold medalist is the best story :)

I enjoyed Charlie White's interview with Patrick at Worlds. He said if he could stay in the top 5, on any given day he could win/podium. That seems reasonable. Will Pyeongchang be like Sochi (base value wins) or like Vancouver (conservative, clean wins)? Probably neither. It will have its own narrative we can't predict. Veterans upstaging the young guys would be an interesting story. (Obviously two-time gold medalist is the best story :)

Imagine if the podium was Yuzu-Javi-Pat? Or Yuzu-Pat-Javi (like it should have been in 2014 tbh) :s_yummy

That'll be quite the story IMO.

Nah, I doubt he would whip out his 4F, that is, if he actually has it in his arsenal. Even if he did, I can't imagine it being very stable right away, and we all know what inconsistency does do a skater in this era of "don't fall and you get the GOEs" :roll:

I don't think our good-old pal Pat is the type that likes to take risk, especially not during the big O

What does he have to lose though? I don't count him out, but he probably won't medal. Unless his plan is to be super consistent with the 4S next year so his PCS/GOE goes up. But everybody always wants to go clean. It's not that easy to do.

beki said:
What does he have to lose though? I don't count him out, but he probably won't medal. Unless his plan is to be super consistent with the 4S next year so his PCS/GOE goes up. But everybody always wants to go clean. It's not that easy to do.

It's true he doesn't have a lot to lose, but I honestly think it's just not his personality to go big or go home :silent: His skating style is very traditional, and he has harped on and on again about how much he value his artistry above all else. I don't see him suddenly go the youngsters' route and be all quad-crazy. He has already left his marks in history, and he genuinely seems to enjoy staking now. It's hard to imagine he would exchange all those ideals he's so vocal about for a quick medal grab. Though I might just be too naive here.. :silent:

I think he's back after Sochi at all because he wants another shot at gold. Now or never. I'd go for it personally. I already have an individual silver so if it can't get any better, I might as well give it everything. That's why I also fully expect every jump Nate can do to be in his program. Go big or go home.

Well, Canada has the BIGGEST chance in making the top podium for team event in my opinion. Which is why Chan would be so eager because hey he can be an OGM regardless of what happened in the individual event

Let's see... based on worlds :

Patrick is 5th, but shoma and Yuzu would be under the same camp, Javi won't be competing and thus all that left is Boyang and Nathan. Worst case scenario for him is he is going to be 4th if he doesn't bomb. Boyang is beatable by him if he can keep it together. If Japan.China does not qualify for FS, he would even go up even more (IF he wants to skate both events)

The ladies : Only going to be between Japan, Russia, US, Canada and maybe Italy. but Gabby and Osmond should easily be 3rd in a worst case scenario if they don't bomb. even if they are behind US they would still be 4th. They could be 2nd or 3rd imo (again Japan also has the possibility of not making FS)

The pairs : D/R would be up against chinese pairs and S/M and T/M. Worst case scenario they should be 4th in both events. germany may not make it to FS. so 3rd FS and 4th SP is already worst case scenario for them imo.

Ice dance : even if V/M lost the SP (which is also unlikely) france very likely will not make the FS so I am betting on ID getting 1st in both

Very HIGH chance in getting gold because US pairs sucks, Japan ID and pairs are blah and Russia ID and Men are blah while Chinese ID and Women are meh.

Patrick needs to skate both events. It's his best chance to be an OGM.

It's funny that even if Patrick skates both events, he's technically the weakest link.

Ladies: they have 2nd and 3rd at Worlds. Gabby and Katelyn aren't the most consistent, but Gabby doesn't "bomb" the FS the way Katelyn does, so if Katelyn skates the SP (which she's great at), I think they'll be fine and likely place 2nd behind the Russian lady.

Men: Patrick, who is around #3-#5 in the world, and might place higher because Japan might not make the free skate, Javi isn't in the team event, and he will only have to skate against Yuzu or Shoma in each segment anyway.

Pairs: They have a 2x World Champion this quad, but Eric is injured...still, they're not in terrible form and I'm hoping he feels better enough to compete :(

Dance: No intro needed

ITA about Canada having a great chance in the Team competition for gold. Depending on the health of everyone, it is definitely within reach and I hope all the skaters would want to participate. All disciplines are pretty strong, but I think the lack of weakness together as a team is what makes them strongest. V/M are probably closest to gold in their own competition (chances are they'll be on podium), while the other competitors all have to deal with those nasty jumps, so it might be everyone's best chance at gold. :s_yes