Team Canada

A really nice interview with Roman. :yes: Regarding the Olympics he worries (understandably) when he arrives in China and tests positive. I hope he and the team stay safe and healthy.:smiley-angelic001:  By the way he will fly to Beijing next week Friday. Good and safe flight Roman!!! 

Guest turquoiseblue

Russian interview with Gabrielle Daleman:

Gabrielle Daleman: “Why do so many people think I’m such a bitch?”

I hope you are not tired of these questions, but where do you take motivation now?

Gabrielle Daleman: I find it thanks to the fans, family, my coach Lee Barkell. He is my world, just an amazing person! I wouldn’t be where I am now without him. And I also find motivation inside myself, of course. Because I always consider myself a dark horse, I want more. Even when things aren’t perfect, it directs me in the right direction.

And I like figure skating. When I was younger, I was bullied, humiliated (a mocking video was made about Daleman in her childhood because of her dyslexia and athletic appearance. – ed), but I managed to get out of this situation. Figure skating has become my motivation, joy and love. For me, everything broke down psychologically when I was diagnosed with mental health problems in the summer of 2018. And I remember putting on my skates and just going to the rink where I grew up, listening to the sound of blades cutting through the ice, the wind in my face. This sport saved me. I am very grateful to figure skating that I have something in my life that I love so much.

Is there any goal you will perform to? Olympics 2026? World Championships 2024 in Canada?

Gabrielle Daleman: Until the moment when I feel: that’s it, I’m over, that’s enough. I will live month after month, year after year. But I will continue to perform next season. I’m not going to listen to what people say, it’s their opinion. People don’t know me, they don’t know my story. They know what I tell them. And I will continue to say what I want. It will be my decision, because it’s my life, my body. I will perform for as long as I can. Thanks to my fans, they are amazing. And the haters should also be paid tribute to. They keep talking about me.

Do you have many haters?

Gabrielle Daleman: Yes, there are some. This is also a motivation for me. Because when you talk bad about me, I’ll go and prove otherwise. I know who I am as a person and as a skater. I know how cool I am, and I will continue to be myself. And this led me to where I am now: a multiple Canadian champion, a World Championships medalist and an Olympic champion (in the team. – ed.).

And why are you being hated? I can’t imagine.

Gabrielle Daleman: Well, you may be surprised, but this is their choice. Love me – love, no – well, ok.

I understand it’s not you who decide, but should the ISU raise the age minimum because of this?

Gabrielle Daleman: Another difficult question, especially for me. But good one. I was 15 when I went to the Olympics in Sochi. But now when you look at the big picture, the quads, the changes in men’s and women’s skating, I think… (pause) we should raise the age. Still, this is a women’s competition. At 15 I was a girl, I was not treated as a woman. For the sake of safety, it is better to raise it, although there are arguments against it. Of course, it’s ISU who will decide.

As long as everyone stays healthy and understands the limits of capabilities, figure skating will be great. I think we need to take into account a lot of factors when making a decision. What about the fact that more and more young girls are injured? How important is mental health? I think we, as a global community, should take a step back and say to ourselves: “They are not just athletes, they are people.” A person is above all, not a sport.

The last topic might be tricky too, sorry in advance. Russian fans associate you with the work in the group of Brian Orser, where you crossed paths with Evgenia Medvedeva during the season. Then you left. There is a version that because of the coach’s too much attention to Evgenia. I’ve seen it on fan forums.

Gabrielle Daleman: Ha ha ha, for real? This is funny! I told you, people don’t know me. They can only know me if they are with me 24/7. I change all the time, how do you manage to interpret me? Are you walking with me everywhere? Why do so many people think I’m such a bitch? (Laughs.)

The answer is no, this is not the reason for my leaving the group. Absolutely not. When Evgenia came, everything was perfect! That year we were very close, Jason Brown came in, we had a real friendship! My training partner was Javier Fernandez, and when he left, Evgenia became the main partner on the rink. We got along great. She is the most beautiful person on and off the ice. I love her so much and miss her! Jason is also an incredible guy, so nice in any situation. I am very happy for him that he got into the Olympic team.

I can’t tell you the reason why I left, but what happened happened, my coach also left, we are now together in the Granite Club. I’m still a member of the Toronto Cricket Club, but also of the Granite Club. But Evgenia has nothing to do with it, I assure you. We are friends.

Do you miss her on the ice too? Maybe you should invite her back?

Gabrielle Daleman: Yes, I miss her at the competitions. Recently there was a video how we danced in the stands, on the ice at the 2019 World Championships. It was fun, so much cuteness in this video! I’m going to cry now, God (Gabriel’s voice really trembled). I miss Javi, I miss Evgenia, a lot of people! It was a wonderful time. And because of covid, it’s so hard to meet everyone. I love everyone and support them in what they are doing now.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, Anni said:

A really nice interview with Roman. :yes: Regarding the Olympics he worries (understandably) when he arrives in China and tests positive. I hope he and the team stay safe and healthy.:smiley-angelic001:  By the way he will fly to Beijing next week Friday. Good and safe flight Roman!!! 

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that the olympics and especially figure skating is happening in like 8 days.

Just wish him an amazing time, that he can skate and show what he wants and stays healthy.

And yes, the Interview is great.

Edit: what the heck is this with the forbidden video sharing?!? He probably wouldn't share a whole competition (why should he), just snippets like training, some feelings and so on and thats not allowed??? Boooo, on that one😠