Team Canada

I guess SC decided that Vanessa/Eric had more potential for results this season.

Evelyn and Trennt have never done well internationally, either performance wise or with judging. They've skated quite well at Nationals over the years, but then once they leave domestic competition, they seem to falter and/or get buried by the judges. At least, that's what i've observed.

5 hours ago, liv said:

I guess SC decided that Vanessa/Eric had more potential for results this season.

Evelyn and Trennt have never done well internationally, either performance wise or with judging. They've skated quite well at Nationals over the years, but then once they leave domestic competition, they seem to falter and/or get buried by the judges. At least, that's what i've observed.

Well, Russian pairs are a juggernaut for anyone to face, but IMO R/J have not been consistent enough together to justify placing so much confidence in them. Their partnership hasn't gelled yet at all. Whereas Trennt and Evelyn have nowhere to go but up. Plus, they slugged it out in the trenches for the past four years doing their part to keep Canada's two spots. They earned the right to go. 

Skate Canada has been pushing hard the PR for them since even before their competition debut so they probably don't want to their money to go to waste. 

(for what though? It's not like they are medal contenders, and next quad is going to be a nightmare for Canadian pairs at this rate) 

Guest turquoiseblue

Roman Sadovsky's Instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYijhtLOJln/

“Next time…” I posted this photo 4 years ago (01/14/2018). Long story short, I had my mind set on a dream, and today that dream became a reality. I’m going to the Olympic Games!

Taking this photo was a starting point of an insane journey. Growing up, my initial goal was to qualify for the 2018 Olympic Games as I knew it was my first games where I would be age eligible. Admittedly, I wasn’t yet cut out for the task. So I decided to take a cliché photo facing the Olympic torch that was used in Vancouver 2010 to signify the start of a new Olympic journey. Ultimately I was hoping for a better shot at it “Next time…”

As you well know, the 4 years following proved to be some of the craziest years of all time. I’m just super proud of what myself and my team were able to accomplish despite the troubling circumstances. 💪 This was definitely a huge effort with many people involved. I would like to extend a massive thank you to everyone who helped me get to where I am. You know exactly who you are. 😜❤️

@teamcanada @skate_canada @skateontario @yorkregionskating #figureskating #olympics #teamcanada #beijing #beijing2022

:congratualtions:

8 hours ago, Veveco said:

Skate Canada has been pushing hard the PR for them since even before their competition debut so they probably don't want to their money to go to waste. 

(for what though? It's not like they are medal contenders, and next quad is going to be a nightmare for Canadian pairs at this rate) 

For the whole 'equality and inclusion' thing, maybe? You have to admit R/J do suit the purpose, although Skate Canada has so far refrained from billing them that way. 

If I had to guess, it's really just about name recognition, and getting butts in front of TV sets come February. None of the gold medal dream team from the 2018 Olys have stuck around, except Eric. Arguably, tge potential audience for Olympic figure skating needs that to sit down and watch? 

But Skate Canada is also an organization that hangs on to past glories for far too long. They're like the anti-Eteri in that regard. Rather than constantly cycling in new young skaters and not giving them a chance to develop, Skate Can has often kept skaters around long past their peak. And that's fine as long as it's not choking off opportunity for others.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:34 AM, liv said:

So this apparently happened. Whatever happened behind the door, I don't think it has anything to do with scoring potential. What a mess that is Skate Canada. 

Here is the full article, for those curious.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/skating/opinion/2022/01/10/second-place-is-not-enough-for-a-second-pairs-spot-at-the-olympics-as-skate-canada-manipulates-for-medals.html

When the skaters are vocal and stand up against their own federation like this, you know that federation is an absolute mess.

Nam's IG post

Hi everyone, just wanted to thank you all for your support this season. It has been an incredibly difficult one, but a valuable learning curve for me. Thank you to Skate Canada, Skate Ontario, Egg Farmers of Canada, Aura Skates, John Wilson Blades, and to my incredible team at RTC (Robert Burk, Danielle Rose, Kenny Rose) for their endless support and drive in helping me push through my obstacles. We will be back stronger ❤

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYh230HK7Xa/?utm_medium=copy_link