Team Canada

On 12/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, sallycinnamon said:

Nam is only 10th after the SP with a fall on 4S< and a 2Lz-2T combination. Hope he will skate better in the free skate, but his chances for qualifying for the Olympic team looks really slim now. :( 

wow. considering how young and inexperienced some of the skaters are in this competition, that has to be painful for Nam

Good to see Gogolev back with Lee Barkell. Even though Raf is a good coach in many ways, the move to California always seemed to me like a bad idea for Stephen. 

Guest turquoiseblue

Interview with Gabrielle Daleman and Lee Barkell after FS at 2022 Skate Canada Challenge :congratualtions:

ETA:

Interview with Stephen Gogolev

1 hour ago, turquoiseblue said:

Interview with Stephen Gogolev

Not exactly a scintillating personality, but glad GoGo is feeling more confident.  I wonder how much he will be able to learn to emote and connect with the audience better.  That will be the real challenge! 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

IFS Magazine article on Roman Sadovsky:

Sadovsky In the Hunt for Olympic Berth

Sadovsky needs little time to recall the moment when Olympic dreams first began forming in his head and his heart. The 22-year-old’s memory quickly flashes back to 2006 and the Olympic Winter Games in Torino, Italy, when he witnessed a fellow Canadian figure skater land on the podium. Sadovsky was only 6 years old at the time, just beginning to find his way in the sport, but that Olympic moment provided him with plenty of inspiration. 
“They were the first Olympics I remember. That’s when Jeff (Buttle) was third. That stood out to me the most because he was Canadian. I also remember Evgeni Plushenko winning that year,” said Sadovsky.

“I was just getting into skating back then, and it was a big boost to me to want to continue skating. When I was 5, I just wanted to play hockey, to be honest. But watching those Olympic Games … that was a real emotional boost for my skating.”

This year marked the first in which Sadovsky turned to Canadian choreographer Mark Pillay to craft both his programs. Another Canadian, David Wilson, had done his short programs in four of the previous five.

The long program is actually a holdover from last season but, as Sadovsky pointed out, it was only used once in live competition at the World Team Trophy in Japan last April. Given the work he and Pillay put into it, Sadovsky said “I wanted to have a little bit more run with it. I just felt like that program had so much more to offer … I decided that with another year, it’s still going to be a good vehicle for me.

“Mark is very good with my skating style, and he is very good with my jump pattern. It is actually quite methodical about where the jumps go and how the music can be used to accentuate them,” Sadovsky explained. “At the end of the day, it is about making me feel the most comfortable. That was the goal this year — just to get as comfortable as possible so I don’t have to think as much when I am performing.”

Skate Canada issued an Olympic qualification protocol to its athletes stating the criteria that will be taken into account when selecting its team for Beijing. “It kind of looks like (Skate Canada) is going to look at the whole season. Nationals is definitely not the be all and end all, and I think I am OK with that personally,” he said.

“We have been building on consistency and if I can have a strong season and if I can carry that season into nationals — and if I win nationals, I think we are sailing. I will just take that moment in Ottawa as another good moment in my career … whether it feels like high pressure or low pressure, whatever it is, it will just be a moment to enjoy. I will try to skate the best that I can and if I can get one of those Olympic spots, it will be good.”

So, as maybe everyone knows already, Skate Canada took the wise decision to hold Canadian Nationals without an audience. 

However, this means we can't cheer for the skaters as we'd like to, so I'm proposing a project:

Let's all post our support and cheers for them on social media! You can post directly to the Skate Canada SM accounts, or to the skater's own accounts if you follow them. 

I suggest something like, if you already have a banner for the skater you like,  post a photo of it to their Twitter or to the Skate Canada acc't, or just post a supportive message. On Twitter, use an appropriate hashtag too, like maybe #GoCanSkaters or some such. 

I really think it'll give them a shot in the arm when they need it. 

Social media accounts to post to: (i will add more as I hunt them down)

Skate Canada:

Twitter: @SkateCanada

Insta: skate_canada

Facebook: Skate Canada/Patinage Canada

Guest turquoiseblue

ISU interview with Vanessa James and Eric Radford:

Vanessa James/Eric Radford (CAN) come back to make a difference

The Skaters are not sure yet how long they will pursue their project. Initially, they were just looking at this season with the ultimate goal to compete at the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in February in Beijing and the ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Montpellier (FRA) in March. “I think Worlds will be a really fun and special competition, being back in France. It has come up in conversation and I don't think we are totally closed to doing another season,” Eric shared. “Maybe a couple of months ago we were like, this season, that's it. Olympics, that's all I'm going to have motivation for. But as we continue to develop I think that we're starting to realize that being at our first season we're not going to get to show as much as I think that we can.”

Vanessa agreed: “We've made a progression. Yes, we both have experience, we have been skating for a long time with other partners and we both had success. We had to learn the elements, we had to change our technique, we had to master technique which we are still mastering and then perform. It's a lot together so quickly and there are teams that have come together quickly, but with two years without competing it's even more demanding. What we are asking from ourselves and what we are doing I feel is extraordinary. But with the rate of progression, I do feel like if we had another season, we could really showcase the potential that we have. Especially when we are in practice and how we feel in practice. We want to show that on the ice, but we need time, we need competitions and we need experience together,” she said.