Team Canada

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

I don't think this will make him more popular, but here is his official version :party0029:

Eesh. Beyond the obvious of Eric being clueless , I really wonder who the hell is running the CBC Olympics twitter, that they thought this was the right way to go about reporting the story. Smacks of Jerry Springer-style infotainment. 

22 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Eesh. Beyond the obvious of Eric being clueless , I really wonder who the hell is running the CBC Olympics twitter, that they thought this was the right way to go about reporting the story. Smacks of Jerry Springer-style infotainment. 

Wow, I would never have thought Canada's FS world would go up in flames in a Russian-style drama.  Has FS become so marginal in Canada that they don't allocate any serious human resources to managing its PR?    Probably left to some poor, inexperienced intern to manage the flames - and get burned further.   This will make the FS sports even more distasteful for the general public.  

Meanwhile (as a pallate cleanser): back in Japan Tatsuki Machida is pushing the narrative of FS as art... he is launching his "Legacy/Inheritance" project to hand over memorable programs to the new generation of skaters, so that these programs become treasures to be cherished and nurtured for generations (like classical ballet).   We have Keiji Tanaka dancing as a cool Parisien dude in Fedora, as a starter.

I really don't like Eric's response. The worst thing is that he seems to not understand what is wrong with how he played it. What I really hate is that he assumed what are Meagan's personal plans without actually asking her, obviously - man knows better. Just another case that shows how much rotten is pair skating as a discipline. 

I may not be a fan of Meagan in terms of her skating style and some of her opinions but I stand with her on that matter. It's good that she spoke out. We need those female voices from pair skaters to be heard and respected.

8 hours ago, river said:

Oh man. The implications here just set in... "I was so happy for Meagan but quickly realized I was going to need to come up with a Plan B because our professional partnership was no longer sustainable."

Maybe I'm just extra touchy about this one as both a woman in her thirties and an obstetrician, but... yikes. Meagan gets pregnant and her partner's reaction is to start hunting for a new partner without even having the decency to discuss things with her first? To see if she has any interest in skating professionally after the baby's born? Which, clearly, she did, since they were planning to skate in shows together this year, right? Meanwhile, Aljona Savchenko is still out there skating in shows. Katia Gordeeva even won Olympic gold two years after her first daughter was born!

In short... Eric, your excuse is bad, and you should feel bad.

I do feel that "smell" too, yet she did relocate to Montréal : how could they practice, even for shows? And not to warn her, well, he did know her maybe even better than what we do with her remarks sometimes mean? So it can be that, but it can be something else too.

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think she's trying really hard not to sound that way but this obviously is a painful disappointment for her. 

I keep thinking of Charlie Bilodeau who dumped two partners in a row without any warning and left them high and dry...and the whole John Coughlin thing...and of course Vanessa's former partner...and a myriad of other stories and rumours I've heard over the years, from all countries, and , well, it really seems like pairs guys are just a toxic breed of human, like, what gives? 

Yes it looks like that. A Russian retired Pairs Lady skater rather described them as brats, not real toxic ones.

But although we don't know what happen behind closed doors, there are also Pairs Men who seem better at first sight, like Han Cong or Ryuichi Kihara.

19 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

But although we don't know what happen behind closed doors, there are also Pairs Men who seem better at first sight, like Han Cong or Ryuichi Kihara.

Yes, I only trust in Sui/Han. And Kihara/Miura are my new favs. Although I have to say all of those affairs, breakups and  awful stories made me very distant to the whole disciplines of pairs and ice dance. I try not to get emotionally engaged to any of new teams, becuase there's so much stuff in the background. I think those disciplines are hitting the wall and needs to be redefined - both in terms of coaching environment and managing the work relations as well as the entire foundation what the team really is including gender related issues. 

I wonder one thing. The reason why France released Vanessa James so fast (contrary to Bruno Massot) may be that Nathalie Péchalat is not Didier Gailhaguet, but also French federation may have been "only too happy" to release a skater who has not directly sent an improper pic to teenagers or harassed them not to speak out, but who knew and preferred go to Olympics than at least to leave Morgan Ciprès. Sort of good riddance.

I usually don't care much about FS drama cuz Yuzu is my happy place but I stumbled upon this summary of Meagan's interview with TSL. It's a bit long so it's in spoiler although the formatting looks better on Reddit. The whole thing is a hot mess with some bystander casualty too it seemed. 

Big YIKES to this whole situation. Sympathy for Meagan despite not appreciating some of her takes on Twitter. 

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...