Team Canada

North York Summer Skate in August has been cancelled: https://skateontario.org/skate-ontario-sectional-series-2/  I'm sad, but it's the right thing to do.  Ontario has been struggling with crushing the curve, testing, and PPE, so it is better to keep people safe at what would be a busy and therefore high-risk event even if they banned fans and lowered the number of people accompanying skaters.  Perhaps if masks were also mandatory for all except those on the ice they might've been able to pull it off, but it feels like mandatory masking has been mostly avoided here (shop employees dealing with the public for example are often maskless even in small shops), or perhaps that was not considered safe enough, since people would be indoors together for hours over several days.

21 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

North York Summer Skate in August has been cancelled: https://skateontario.org/skate-ontario-sectional-series-2/  I'm sad, but it's the right thing to do.  Ontario has been struggling with crushing the curve, testing, and PPE, so it is better to keep people safe at what would be a busy and therefore high-risk event even if they banned fans and lowered the number of people accompanying skaters.  Perhaps if masks were also mandatory for all except those on the ice they might've been able to pull it off, but it feels like mandatory masking has been mostly avoided here (shop employees dealing with the public for example are often maskless even in small shops), or perhaps that was not considered safe enough, since people would be indoors together for hours over several days.

It's sad - every cancellation is sad - but I understand why.

Some domestic sporting events have been allowed here, under strict condition and and of course crowdless, but we are in such a different position risk-wise.

Update on Asher Hill's story on CBC Sports: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/floyd-george-sports-organizations-hypocrisy-asher-hill-1.5597217 and his interview today on CBC's Here and Now: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-82-here-and-now-toronto

Last June Asher told Skate Canada about the racist, homophobic, and misogynistic words and actions aimed at him by a co-worker at a Brampton club over a five-year period and Skate Canada was ok with letting a person hired by that club handle that investigation.  Apparently none of the witnesses Asher mentioned were spoken with.  That investigator sided with the perpetrator, despite the holes in the case and despite other people also reporting this person. 

Hill says Skate Canada failed to properly review pertinent information and testimony he provided and feels he was silenced.

"I ended up being the person who was reprimanded," Hill said. "They wanted to sweep it under the rug. It's shocking they didn't talk to the people. When they came down with their decision, they threatened to suspend me or take away my license after I spoke out."

Asher is asking for Skate Canada to re-open his case and to investigate it properly and for a formal apology from them.  So far he is unimpressed with their attempts to get hold of him, calling them "performative".  IMO the vague and sudden mention of a "black working group" by SC feels more like a desperate ploy than the sign of an institution truly committed to doing better.  Also they harped on the qualifications of the third-party investigator rather than what that person actually did in that investigation.  Why are they satisfied if the investigator didn't bother to interview witnesses identified by Asher?

On 6/4/2020 at 8:33 AM, sweetwater said:

So Gabby is back for another season. That's good. 

About Asher Hill....I had no idea of the story until CBC Olympics covered it this week, and his point is correct: making a statement of support means nothing if the actions don't match. As for the Brampton club assigning it's own internal investigator who sided with the perpetrator and didn't do a proper investigation of the racism directed against Asher...I hate to say it, but that kind of cronyism is very common in amateur sports clubs, in my experience. Most of them have a clique or three that try to run everything and crush anyone who gets in their way/doesn't "fit in"/isn't their idea of the 'right' kind of athlete. I've seen similar behaviour in swim teams and soccer clubs and sometimes it takes athletes leaving the club en masse to effect change...anyway, that kind of thing is all the more reason for sports governing bodies like Skate Canada to take complaints seriously and investigate them correctly. So there's multiple failures at different levels here, the racism is only the beginning. 

Another example:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/hockey-is-not-for-everyone-akim-aliu-nhl

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

New Romsky video. He's busy getting his jumps back. note what he says about the effort it takes to hold his arms in against the rotational force in a 3A:

Freshly sharpened blades ruin my triple axels too.

Skate Ontario hosted a webinar with Brian, Tracy, and Tracey Wainman (Roman's coach) this evening.  News: 10 people will be allowed on the ice (that's everyone and not just skaters) up from 5 starting Saturday.  The coaches spoke in detail about the past couple weeks, both the challenges and the good things.  Apparently Brian is the "responsible one" when it comes to obeying the new policies according to Tracy.  All the coaches emphasized skaters needed to be patient at this time and enjoy the process.  All seemed pleased with their elite skaters' progress so far.  Tracy emphasized that, with the season in doubt, now is the time to explore and play with new things as skaters:

11 hours ago, Songster01 said:

Skate Ontario hosted a webinar with Brian, Tracy, and Tracey Wainman (Roman's coach) this evening.  News: 10 people will be allowed on the ice (that's everyone and not just skaters) up from 5 starting Saturday.  The coaches spoke in detail about the past couple weeks, both the challenges and the good things.  Apparently Brian is the "responsible one" when it comes to obeying the new policies according to Tracy.  All the coaches emphasized skaters needed to be patient at this time and enjoy the process.  All seemed pleased with their elite skaters' progress so far.  Tracy emphasized that, with the season in doubt, now is the time to explore and play with new things as skaters:

Thank you very much!

Great that Skate Ontario have managed to establish detailed safety processes, and teaming with coaches too.

For satellites who know about Skate Canada, does this competence displayed by Skate Ontario, mean the whole Skate Canada have reflected on their shortcomings in Worlds preparation, and are ready to handle championships next autumn if the epidemic allows it, be it without attendance or with a local attendance only?

I didn't know Tracey Wainman, but I liked the set of Japanese swords on the shelf. :h99:

Various Team Canada news. Looks like the pairs are back on the ice, carefully staying, according to Trennt Michaud, 2 meters apart. Gonna make training lifts and throws a bit tricky, although it looks like Mike has a plan. It's also a gravity optional day for Keegan, apparently

ice dancers also back on the ice:

Including some honorary Canadians:

Did Olivia and Adrian stay here the whole time? Does anyone know?

Katia Kurokova is also back on the ice, but the rink isn't TCC so I'm wondering if she's still over in Europe...not sure what her home base is, whether Poland or Russia.

https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1273284463783526400?s=20