Team Canada

I haven't heard ANY talk of them opening the borders to anyone. The idea hasn't even been brought up by the press or anyone else... at least in public. Just thinking about how closely tied together the US/Canada are, in most times they'd open the borders to them first, like a North American bubble (currently just essential supplies etc., can cross). However, with the virus still running wild down there I can't see how that would happen any time soon.  I'd much rather see visitors from NZ, Australia etc., who are doing rather well, before those from the US.

For the skaters who stayed where they train, ie Satoko, some of the dancers in Montreal,  they may have the advantage... and others will just get on the ice whenever/wherever they can and do what they can with input from afar.  The next year will be very interesting... if we even have one....

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Canada's borders are still closed to nearly everyone. I think it will be a while yet before any non-Canadian skaters who train here will be able to come back. 

Yet the document I sent the link of, states a permanent resident can come back.

9 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Yet the document I sent the link of, states a permanent resident can come back.

I think you don't understand what Canada means by 'permanent resident'. Most of the people who train here would not qualify for permanent resident status. 

19 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think you don't understand what Canada means by 'permanent resident'. Most of the people who train here would not qualify for permanent resident status. 

I can confirm this. I'm in Canada on a 2-yr work permit (so not a permanent resident) and if I were to leave the country now, I would not be able to come back until they reopen the borders no matter what.

I don't know for sure what type of visa foreign athletes training here (as opposed to being employed here) are on, but I really doubt they're permanent residents. It's kind of big deal to get.

Jason would probably have an easier time than most given the US-Canada agreements but even he will have to wait a bit longer.

As far as I know indoor recreation facilities are still supposed to be closed in Ontario anyway. So, wait and see for now.

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

I can confirm this. I'm in Canada on a 2-yr work permit (so not a permanent resident) and if I were to leave the country now, I would not be able to come back until they reopen the borders no matter what.

I don't know for sure what type of visa foreign athletes training here (as opposed to being employed here) are on, but I really doubt they're permanent residents. It's kind of big deal to get.

Jason would probably have an easier time than most given the US-Canada agreements but even he will have to wait a bit longer.

As far as I know indoor recreation facilities are still supposed to be closed in Ontario anyway. So, wait and see for now.

I think there must be some kind of special visa class for entertainers and sportspeople, because otherwise we'd never get big American or international music acts etc coming here, but what it is I have no idea. It'd be fairly limited I would think. 

As someone who is is a permanent resident in Canada, it is very hard to get that status and in some ways seems harder than citizenship.  I'd be shocked if Yuzu or his Mom were permanent residents, because I'd think that would be seen as a step away from Japanese citizenship (whether or not it was intended as such) and would likely be big news?  But anyway, Yuzu, if for some reason you or especially your Mom decide to become PRs be prepared for the FBI's awful fingerprint readers, which refused to read mine and so the FBI sent letters to the RCMP to "teach them how to fingerprint correctly," which as you can imagine went over like a lead balloon.  After several failed attempts I had to retain an immigration lawyer to get a special exception.  According to one expert I spoke with it is mostly women (esp Asian women) who have fingerprints that the FBI's machines can't read. 

Article from yesterday on the border basically implying that at most we will likely only be seeing an increase in essential workers crossing the border in the near future as provinces slowly experiment with opening up.  And a reiteration from my (Ontario) premier that he doesn't want the borders to open.  The premiers of Québec and BC feel the same: https://www.cp24.com/news/increased-border-traffic-likely-as-canada-u-s-economies-reopen-freeland-1.4935168

Frankly, watching the mad and tragic circus that is going on in the US, I hope the border remains shut for a very long time.  The US poses too much a danger to us as it would potentially be a major source of cases.  We already saw a fair number of cases linked to the US before the border shut.  Ontario is between MI and NY, which have been major centres of the disease.  OH, may see a new spike in cases as it's opened prematurely imo.  Columbus already is looking like a potential new hotspot.  And though it is in central OH, increased mobility could mean it spreads to the norther part of the state.  

As for special exceptions like elite athletes, we might have to see how they handle the big pro sports?  If Toronto becomes a center for at least one big team sport for fan-less games, the foreign players who didn't stay here might be permitted as exceptions to come here, provided they quarantine and follow public health rules.  But it seems like the talks are in flux atm.  So no idea when foreign skaters might be allowed back to Ontario rinks once they do re-open.  It's possible Skate Canada might wait to see how things go for 2-3 weeks with their own elite skaters to avoid the unpleasant situation of having to cancel someone's permission at the last minute because of a case spike here, or having to close the rinks after foreign athletes have entered Canada because of a spike.

BTW: according to Keegan on his IG, he is back to training this week, likely because he's in Alaska and iirc they are opening up.  Note: that doesn't mean all other US states are open.  A friend in CO who skates there says their rinks are not open yet. 

On 5/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, Songster01 said:

As someone who is is a permanent resident in Canada, it is very hard to get that status and in some ways seems harder than citizenship.  I'd be shocked if Yuzu or his Mom were permanent residents, because I'd think that would be seen as a step away from Japanese citizenship (whether or not it was intended as such) and would likely be big news?  But anyway, Yuzu, if for some reason you or especially your Mom decide to become PRs be prepared for the FBI's awful fingerprint readers, which refused to read mine and so the FBI sent letters to the RCMP to "teach them how to fingerprint correctly," which as you can imagine went over like a lead balloon.  After several failed attempts I had to retain an immigration lawyer to get a special exception.  According to one expert I spoke with it is mostly women (esp Asian women) who have fingerprints that the FBI's machines can't read. 

Article from yesterday on the border basically implying that at most we will likely only be seeing an increase in essential workers crossing the border in the near future as provinces slowly experiment with opening up.  And a reiteration from my (Ontario) premier that he doesn't want the borders to open.  The premiers of Québec and BC feel the same: https://www.cp24.com/news/increased-border-traffic-likely-as-canada-u-s-economies-reopen-freeland-1.4935168

Frankly, watching the mad and tragic circus that is going on in the US, I hope the border remains shut for a very long time.  The US poses too much a danger to us as it would potentially be a major source of cases.  We already saw a fair number of cases linked to the US before the border shut.  Ontario is between MI and NY, which have been major centres of the disease.  OH, may see a new spike in cases as it's opened prematurely imo.  Columbus already is looking like a potential new hotspot.  And though it is in central OH, increased mobility could mean it spreads to the norther part of the state.  

As for special exceptions like elite athletes, we might have to see how they handle the big pro sports?  If Toronto becomes a center for at least one big team sport for fan-less games, the foreign players who didn't stay here might be permitted as exceptions to come here, provided they quarantine and follow public health rules.  But it seems like the talks are in flux atm.  So no idea when foreign skaters might be allowed back to Ontario rinks once they do re-open.  It's possible Skate Canada might wait to see how things go for 2-3 weeks with their own elite skaters to avoid the unpleasant situation of having to cancel someone's permission at the last minute because of a case spike here, or having to close the rinks after foreign athletes have entered Canada because of a spike.

BTW: according to Keegan on his IG, he is back to training this week, likely because he's in Alaska and iirc they are opening up.  Note: that doesn't mean all other US states are open.  A friend in CO who skates there says their rinks are not open yet. 

Thank you (and everybody) for your detailed explanations, particularly as to the statute of permanent resident. Quite different from what we have in France.

So, the Soap Opera was right, Keegan-kun is back to Ice-chan after a short time? ;-)

(Edited : change from Floor-chan to Ice-Chan, thank you Rockstaryuzu!)

13 hours ago, Songster01 said:

be prepared for the FBI's awful fingerprint readers, which refused to read mine and so the FBI sent letters to the RCMP to "teach them how to fingerprint correctly," which as you can imagine went over like a lead balloon.

:ohmygod::hihi::headdesk:

Frankly, watching the mad and tragic circus that is going on in the US, I hope the border remains shut for a very long time.

Ditto. The National Post did an analysis of where all our early cases came from, and the US was by far the main source: https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadas-early-covid-19-cases-came-from-the-u-s-not-china-provincial-data-shows . I never thought I would agree with Doug Ford, but he is 100% correct on this point. 

Also, watching what's going on in the US makes my heart ache. It's like watching a friend deliberately self-destruct. 

BTW: according to Keegan on his IG, he is back to training this week, likely because he's in Alaska and iirc they are opening up.  Note: that doesn't mean all other US states are open.  A friend in CO who skates there says their rinks are not open yet

I'm thinking that the population density is relatively low in Alaska, so things like opening up a rink are much less risky, because they just over all have fewer people around to be in them. 

Likewise, I expect rinks in Nunavut or New Brunswick will open up much earlier than rinks in Toronto. 

10 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Actually, wasn't it Ice-chan? Keegan stole her heart :D. 

Sorry, I'll edit.

Really, I laughed heartily to that parody. Having once been forced to watch several minutes of soap opera (The Young and the Restless, and I had already watched ten minutes of unidentified soap operas to win a bet against myself), it was so well rendered! And the writing too...

Toronto has cancelled the CNE and major festivals this summer until at least Aug. 31.  However, sports events not covered in that directive, so atm North York Summer Skate is still on.  Rather hoping they consider cancelling it or at least closing it to fans and limiting who can accompany skaters.  I guess that may come down to current rules on gathering sizes permitted in the province (or city if they decide to do things earlier in rural areas).  Supposedly next week there will be an announced change to those rules, but I feel they are moving too fast in this regard.  We've just had a number of important changes affecting businesses made that will take place next week, as well as loosening things a bit in parks, water bodies, etc.  :Why not let us keep gathering status quo for another 2-3 weeks and then see how things are going?  Better to go slow in re-opening then have to pull back sooner.  

ETA: Skate Ontario sent out a "hold your horses" notice to Ontario clubs, so at least some places may open later than Tuesday.  Following public health's rules may need some time to implement.  I fully support everyone taking their time and ensuring everyone's safety proactively.

Page 4 of the "Detailed List of Stage 1 Openings" that the provincial government released has figure skating listed under 'Individual sports competitions without spectators' , so for now no fans or audience will be allowed except for guardians accompanying minors.