Team Canada

14 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Ha, I actually won a bet there. It seemed pretty likely to me even when the initial announcement came out.

I am not sure what to say. If she's simply done with competing then happy sailing Kaet. She's achieved so much already and if she's feeling fulfilled, good luck to her in the future. But if she's not done then this is not so smart. As the current WCH she had a lot to gain, while next season, it's the quad babies turning Seniors. We've seen how it's not ideal to take these breaks, Chiddy for one is a major example. Ah well. 

She prefers to be happy with what she has rather than hungry for more? Not everyone can be as greedy as a certain skater we all know

3 minutes ago, Fay said:

She prefers to be happy with what she has rather than hungry for more? Not everyone can be as greedy as a certain skater we all know

:68468287:

But yeah, might be! I mean nobody can say this life is easy, motivating yourself over and over. Then considering the massive injury she has had, and how much focus went into last season with the Oly games, it might be she is simply spent and done. Also I do think the younger/current Russians and Japanese ladies are a factor there too. 

On 8/19/2018 at 10:16 PM, Katt said:

Its not just only Keegan. Yesterday i watched Conrad orzel's SP and at first I thought the audio was out of sync and it was background music :facepalm: Turn out its really his music. Why they choose that kind of song for a competitive program is a bigger question :facepalm:

There's also absolutely nothing Romeo and Juliet about Orzel's Romeo and Juliet.

Having watched Stephen Gogolev in the competition last weekend in Bratislava all I can say is that he's Canada's Patrick Chan, not so much in terms of skating skills but in terms of becoming a dominant skater.  His win last weekend was comfortable and I would say he's the favorite two weekends from now in the JGP leg in Canada.  I think it quite possible he could become the youngest person ever to win the Junior World Championships, since basically he's entering Junior level competition with accomplishments that would have him rated high (though not elite level) if he were skating Senior level.  Competing last season at the Canadian national championships senior level he managed to come in 10th.  Not bad for a kid who'd just turned 13.  Comparing his skating last season with what he's shown us this season I have to say that Brian Orser, his coach, must be working him hard on skating skills, since there was a marked improvement from last season to this season.  I think we also should realize that he is training in stellar company with Yuzu and Zhenya on the ice at the same time he is.  Yuzu is almost certainly a major motivator for Stephen, although I'm not ready to say he is deliberately interacting with Stephen.  I think we should all realize that we might be seeing the emergence of a superstar with Stephen.  He's not ready to go head to head with Yuzu right now, but Beijing could be a different story.  I don't think Stephen and Yuzu will interact personally the way Yuzu did with Javi but I do think that there will be in place these next few seasons the conditions that will create a competitive relationship analogous to Yuzu and Javi these last several seasons.  Things are going to be very interesting at TCC these upcoming seasons.

5 hours ago, micaelis said:

Having watched Stephen Gogolev in the competition last weekend in Bratislava all I can say is that he's Canada's Patrick Chan, not so much in terms of skating skills but in terms of becoming a dominant skater.  His win last weekend was comfortable and I would say he's the favorite two weekends from now in the JGP leg in Canada.  I think it quite possible he could become the youngest person ever to win the Junior World Championships, since basically he's entering Junior level competition with accomplishments that would have him rated high (though not elite level) if he were skating Senior level.  Competing last season at the Canadian national championships senior level he managed to come in 10th.  Not bad for a kid who'd just turned 13.  Comparing his skating last season with what he's shown us this season I have to say that Brian Orser, his coach, must be working him hard on skating skills, since there was a marked improvement from last season to this season.  I think we also should realize that he is training in stellar company with Yuzu and Zhenya on the ice at the same time he is.  Yuzu is almost certainly a major motivator for Stephen, although I'm not ready to say he is deliberately interacting with Stephen.  I think we should all realize that we might be seeing the emergence of a superstar with Stephen.  He's not ready to go head to head with Yuzu right now, but Beijing could be a different story.  I don't think Stephen and Yuzu will interact personally the way Yuzu did with Javi but I do think that there will be in place these next few seasons the conditions that will create a competitive relationship analogous to Yuzu and Javi these last several seasons.  Things are going to be very interesting at TCC these upcoming seasons.

There was an interview with John Wilson Blades, and Stephen said Yuzu is his skating idol, but that they don't really interact much. Which is understandable. There's too much of an age gap between them, I guess.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:39 PM, micaelis said:

Stephen is very early so it's too to predict anything - whether he'll be a dominant skater or how well he would do in Beijing (or whether he'll be there is Beijing). A lot happens in this sport in four seasons, and even more happens with a junior skater from one season to another, growth spurt and/or injuries can end a career very quickly. He might have a very good chance to win Junior Worlds next year - especially that the junior men's field is not deep now - but I wouldn't go as far as thinking about what happens to him in the distant future.

Stephen's idol is Yuzu - he said it not just in the JW interview but also when I met him in Bratislava, he talked about Yuzu enthusiastically, which was nice! But they are in a completely different stages in their careers, and Yuzu is 10 years older than him, so whatever happens in the next seasons it's not possible to compare their situation to Yuzu and Javi's.

• 3 weeks later...