If You Had to Choose - 2 OGMs vs. 1 OGM and Multiple World Golds

If You Had to Choose - 2 OGM vs. 1 OGM and World Gold 2x+  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay so now that 2 olympic golds are a thing again (discounting the team event), I wonder.  Generally we look at someone who is unable to win world titles but able to win the olympics as a flash in the pan. It's always nice confirmation to be a world champion building up to being an olympic champion.  But what if you could get 2 OGMs in two separate games without any world medals (of any color) as opposed to being a multiple world champion and a 1x olympic gold medallist.  It's a most unlikely hypothetical scenario as there's a good chance a 2x OGM at least has a world medal or two, even if not gold, but I'm just curious. All at the Olympics and nothing at worlds, or a little bit a wealth in both...

I guess I think about someone like Aliona who has 6 world championships and now and OGM. Would she trade all those to have a second OGM?

It took me a while to decide to vote, but I chose the 2nd one on certain conditions.  I feel like if I were a 3x world champ and under, I'd rather take a 2nd olympic gold.  But if I can be a 1x Olympic champion and a 4,5,6x world champion, I would be good with that.

Also, for the GOAT conversation, 2 OGMs without world gold could be a tougher argument than 1 OGM and bunch of worlds.  

14 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

2 OGM > 1 OGM + 3 world golds

2 OGM = 1 OGM + 4 world golds

2 OGM < 1 OGM + 5+ world golds

This is a good breakdown, except I think I'd go one less, as in:

2 OGM > 1 OGM + 2 world golds (plus some silvers)

2 OGM < 1 OGM + 3+ world golds

This because once you start getting more than 2 world medals, it actually starts going into dominance of a field territory and I find that maybe even better than 2 OGMs and no world medals.